Awb interview - ISRA tells reporter to shut up

Vicc

On 1/20/2023 at 9:17 AM, springfield shooter said:

They blocked you from commenting? Apparently they are confident in the logic of their positions, and also their ability to defend them.

Correct, though I believe the term they use is "moderated". Those who disagree with the DPI don't last long on CapFax unless you are a paying customer.

I didn't even bother listening to this interview. When I used to get the ISRA newsletter in my email, it was so obvious that this dude is living in the 50's it was painful to read. I removed myself from all communications from them. It's time for a complete redo at ISRA, just like NRA. That of course is just one opinion. Their seat at the table negotiation was pretty much the last straw for me. 

Was he just completely unprepared?  As a spokesman he should have a couple talking points ready regardless of what was being told to him.  Not that he is considered a politician but if he's the voice he should learn to act like one.  The interviewer can dribble on and on about what-about-isms.  Once they stop to catch their breath hit back with actual facts.  I'm neither a pol or spokesman but damn this shouldn't be so hard to do.  How embarrassing for him.  Please step down.

I've said this before, and have personally been a spokesperson who dealt with the national press that was on occasion hostile (NYT for example) as well as having worked in associations. Pearson has been making me cringe for the 15 or so years I've listened to him give interviews. I can't see any signs of him having any media training. No signs of the message development or rehearsals (even just in his own head) required for media campaigns. No mental flexibility of the type required to not totally screw up even with training and developed messages, not to mention just walking in blind.

The above is literally one of a handful of required core competencies for any association leadership that in any way deals with the media, even with a typically friendly media not to mention the 2A in Illinois. It is a BASIC, entry-level requirement for the position.

Illinois has been SO underserved by ISRA compared to other states organizations like the one in Ohio. It's funny, they did at least upgrade their site to give the impression they are fighting the 2nd fight. For many years it was basically focused on Sparta and the National Matches.

On 1/20/2023 at 10:13 AM, Jeffrey said:

Was he just completely unprepared?  As a spokesman he should have a couple talking points ready regardless of what was being told to him.  Not that he is considered a politician but if he's the voice he should learn to act like one.  The interviewer can dribble on and on about what-about-isms.  Once they stop to catch their breath hit back with actual facts.  I'm neither a pol or spokesman but damn this shouldn't be so hard to do.  How embarrassing for him.  Please step down.

Unprepared and going with the flow. Too old and should retire. Especially egregious that they are banning rifles by labeling them machine guns and nobody is saying anything about it and a lie constantly repeated and unchallenged has become the truth, words have consequences.

On 1/20/2023 at 11:50 AM, evilbrownrifle said:

I've said this before, and have personally been a spokesperson who dealt with the national press that was on occasion hostile (NYT for example) as well as having worked in associations. Pearson has been making me cringe for the 15 or so years I've listened to him give interviews. I can't see any signs of him having any media training. No signs of the message development or rehearsals (even just in his own head) required for media campaigns. No mental flexibility of the type required to not totally screw up even with training and developed messages, not to mention just walking in blind.

The above is literally one of a handful of required core competencies for any association leadership that in any way deals with the media, even with a typically friendly media not to mention the 2A in Illinois. It is a BASIC, entry-level requirement for the position.

I couldn't agree more.  This is 100% accurate. 

It isn't enough to just have your talking points memorized. It isn't 1996 anymore. The media has learned how to adapt to that and interrupt the flow of the interview.  Media spokespeople now need to be mentally flexible depending on the attack path. 

I don't want it to sound personal either, but the spokesperson should be easy to understand. Pearson sounds like he is talking while chewing on something. 

Nothing new from this guy.  He is playing chutes and ladders in a chess game  

I was a member until he struck out years ago(speaking while his brain was disengaged), long before they sold out for the carve out. 

Unless and until the ISRA reforms by losing this guy first, they don't matter in the least in IL 2A politics. I still wouldn't trust them for a very long time even then, as the board is fine with him being there, so it isn't just him that is the only broken cog in the ISRA machine. Again, the decisions at ISRA aren't solely made by him.  

On 1/20/2023 at 1:08 PM, Hap said:

There is absolutely nothing to be gained from attempting to fight this out in the media, and people who don't understand that should not be giving interviews, even if they're good at doing so, but especially if they aren't.

Let the lawyers do the talking.

Public opinion does matter. Public opinion and the narrative matters a whole bunch.  It is why the dems ran a media operation and purchased ads everywhere and gave all kinds of interviews. 

The problem is RP fell on his face, knocked over the lantern and set fire to the barn. 

Nasty rhetoric and rude behavior only reinforce the negative views people have about gun owners/firearms enthusiasts and paint US all like the liberals want US to be painted - like a bunch of mean mouthed bullies whose contribution to an interview or press statement is "Shut Up!"

Dude made all US gun owners look like the jerks we are being presented as by Mad Mommies and the like. If he has no public speaking skills *He's* the one that needs to shut up.

On 1/21/2023 at 11:02 AM, Vodoun da Vinci said:

Nasty rhetoric and rude behavior only reinforce the negative views people have about gun owners/firearms enthusiasts and paint US all like the liberals want US to be painted - like a bunch of mean mouthed bullies whose contribution to an interview or press statement is "Shut Up!"

Dude made all US gun owners look like the jerks we are being presented as by Mad Mommies and the like. If he has no public speaking skills *He's* the one that needs to shut up.

Agreed.  While the “shut up” was over the line, I found his whole demeanor dripping with condescension.  “What do you know about guns,” “that’s hat you were told, “ etc.  whether he is the most thoughtful and discerning thinker on gun rights or not, he comes across as an OFWG, arrogant, bloviating, and disinterested in listening.  That is not at all helpful.

RP never had a chance. Traditional public speaking skills are meaningless now. The new game is dealing with self-righteous liberals who intentionally talk over people in a condescending manner, often with backup of like-minded voices to drown out the speaker. It's the "Mommy he hit me!" ploy designed to garner sympathy.

Some young conservatives (e.g. Charlie Kirk comes to mind) have developed the ability to turn those tactics around while still expressing convincing arguments.

On 1/19/2023 at 7:21 PM, Euler said:

Mauserme's speculation in another thread was Ed Sullivan. Mine was Kathleen Willis, but I might not have been entirely serious (or entirely joking).

Heh. He thinks there are meetings ...

0 The director appoints the board members. The board members elect the director. GOTO 0

There are two people who come to mind that would be excellent in that position and MUCH better spokesmen than RP   
They both post here very frequently. 😁

Maybe I'm off base. But, I seem to recall a discussion, likely on this board, where ISRA leadership is locked in. Basically, Pearson's hand picked  folk have to vote him out kind of thing.

I had tried to work with ISRA on some issues around the time of the carry law where my community got shafted as part of the tradeoff. I spoke at the town meetings and worked behind the scenes with some of the council people, etc. and even though we lost the AWB part they did it in such a way that there is a clear constitutional problem actually not related to the 2nd that would be a no brainer. But the ISRA attitude was, we're too busy, we're too understaffed, we don't have the resources, have a nice day. And yet resources seemed abundant for Sparta, a range too far away to be of any interest to me. Not to mention a huge distraction and waste of resources for a supposedly 2A group. I didn't mind taking one for the team given the scope of the win with CCW, but my primary interest as a firearm owner is long guns so I was hopeful the fight might have actually continued. It seemed like there was no way to work your way up in the organization, alone or as a group, to actually have any influence or power.

On 1/22/2023 at 12:04 PM, evilbrownrifle said:

It seemed like there was no way to work your way up in the organization, alone or as a group, to actually have any influence or power.

There are a couple of ways.

1, You volunteer for stuff and do work, drink the Koolaid.
You will get noticed and tapped for more.
You will get offered a nomination to the board of directors.

2, Lately, the ISRA is desperate enough to advertise for nominees the last few years.

If you get nominated you will almost certainly get elected, as they have not had a contested election in over 20 years.

Once on the board, you will get disenchanted that you have no voice other than being a rubber stamp for RP.
Unless you like what's being put in front of you.
You will like some of it, disenchantment does not happen overnight.

Or so I've been told...

We are losing the public relations battle. The media productions from MDA, SHP and Bloomberg are effective. We don’t have billionaires 

trying to buy their way into heaven, 

so our finding is fragmented. 
If we could get pro 2nd moms in the public eye along with a few educated  and controlled 40 Something shooters making our case, we might get ahead in the game.

Of course we need the platform available to the left. Thats even tougher. Grumpy old men out front is a major problem.

On 1/23/2023 at 9:55 AM, lilguy said:

We are losing the public relations battle. The media productions from MDA, SHP and Bloomberg are effective. We don’t have billionaires 

If we could get pro 2nd moms in the public eye along with a few educated  and controlled 40 Something shooters making our case, we might get ahead in the game.

Of course we need the platform available to the left. Thats even tougher. Grumpy old men out front is a major problem.

I don't think so, not in the least. Gun rights advocates own the social media and cultural space, which is why you've seen such a significant increase in gun ownership over the past 15-20 years, including amongst groups that used to strongly support gun control. Gun control advocates, on the other hand, are only now realizing that they've been losing this fight and are only now trying to gain a foothold in these spaces, while failing to realize they should've acted years ago (not that they would've had much success, anyway).

Because if we're being honest, gun control, as a concept, isn't very popular in the United States. Part of it has to do with culture, part of it has to do with the second amendment, but part of it is simply that people don't like being told what to do. It's why previous attempts at censorship failed so miserably: Americans don't like being told what they can say or what they are allowed to think.

And it doesn't matter how many billionaires promote the cause: If people don't want what you're selling, they ain't gonna buy.

I think that the point of all of this is that we are ignoring the elephant in the room: The Democrats in power do not give a furry rat's butt about facts, stats, or the constitution (in that order).  It's about feelings. I watched the live feeds; There were thousands of witness slips opposing - dismissed out of hand, something about confusion.  There were several valiant attempts by Republicans (I particularly enjoyed the discourse about 50BMG and why it was included....) Then, there was one cell phone recording of a 5 year old kid wailing 'what's happening?' and BAM, quick as that, there was no way that facts and statistics mattered a lick - the fix was in.  Have you ever been in a gathering where there were lactating women in attendance when ONE of their babies starts crying to be fed?  They all start leaking.  Same thing.

Speaking of the live feeds, does anyone know how they would have reacted at that parade, bravado aside? I know what I'd like to think I would do, and what I train to do, but in reality would I look for an open manhole cover? Hide behind my wife? Duck into a store? Run?...One thing I'm pretty G*d D@mn certain I would NOT do is pull out my trusty freekin' phone to record a scared little kid!!  We're amateurs at this stuff!

I got my first FOID card when they started in 1968 as a 16 year old.  As it applies to firearms of any description, Am I better off than I was 4 55 years ago? Citizens be d@mned, the legislators  know what is best for you. 

I recall a management "training" seminar years back where I first heard the phrase "Perception is Reality".  Well, RP just publicly underscored the perception that we're all angry old white guys. I'm with lilguy - we're losing.

What's also being lost is the concept of Individual Rights.  What happens when someone posts a rational comment online? A swarm of Karens gang up to mock and sometimes threaten the commenter. Name-calling and pulling the race-bigot-fascist-Trumper-card is the norm. Doxing occurs as well, with efforts to get someone fired from their job. So for the left to claim the high road on any issue is a joke. Nasty and malicious defines the left.

Our side just wants to be left alone with our rights intact. The left has been encouraged to attack, and they do so knowing there are enough brainwashed minds to come to their aid (or go along so to not lose friends). Even the argument of defending our 2A rights does not play well with the Karen Konformity Kult because mob rule trumps individual liberties. Even if Roe v Wade were reinstated, the left would drum up collective anger over some other issue in order to make defending 2A rights insignificant compared to the mob's victimhood.

I'd like to see more messaging about how Gun Free Zones make people LESS safe. Make people fear leftists policies, not 2A supporters.

On 1/23/2023 at 9:55 AM, lilguy said:

Certainly Molly speaking for us and the work she does gets great visibility with a female voice and we need to continue to support it.  Also, this group is doing good work at a national level and gaining some ground… They could use your support:

https://www.dcproject.info/donors/

We don’t have billionaires but we have lots and lots of “thousandaires” who can make a big difference if they all donate and participate a little.  We’ve got the numbers (and the facts) on our side and donating time and/or $ will get us there.

What followed the interview (ending at 7:25) was something to note (between 9:24 & 10:07). It was the friendly, "collegial" chat between two people on the same side of the issue casually noting that the lawsuits challenging the Constitutionality of the law will likely prevail, but that's okay because for the time it's wrapped up in the courts, it'll stop "assault weapons" from being sold.

It was the casual face of modern tyranny.

I don't know if a lawsuit can be brought against legislators and elected officials who knowingly pass unconstitutional measures (or even if it could ever succeed), but I'd still like to see it.

/end rant.

On 1/23/2023 at 12:26 PM, RECarry said:

I'd like to see more messaging about how Gun Free Zones make people LESS safe. Make people fear leftists policies, not 2A supporters.

Trying not to hijack the tread about the leadership challenges at the ISRA, but since the ISRA chooses to send out weekly history lessons and political commentary (and represent gun owners poorly in public settings) instead of helping to equip the membership with facts about legislation and facts to help fight gun control, here is a main point on gun-free zones:

Mass-Public-Shooting_US_1998-to-May-2022.xlsx (live.com)

image.png.b0e99ffdd7aafe2c8fae24109365bcee.png

Archived