Hb 1057. Ammo sales

Felixd

Yeah I’m seeing a lot of buzz on social media about this bill. Illinois gun owners obviously feeling jumpy after what was just rammed through last week. Normally I’d say this is an absurd proposal that wouldn’t pass as it’s purely redundant in a state with the FOID card but I guess the general assembly is committed to beating up gun owners in the state and this is another way to do it.

On 1/17/2023 at 3:34 PM, Felixd said:

This reads that you could not give ammo to a friend or as a gift to a relative. 

I've just given it a quick reading.  Based on that, it would be impossible to introduce new shooters to the sport since you can't give them ammunition, and they can't buy any (assuming they have no FOID card).

On 1/17/2023 at 3:11 PM, mauserme said:

It proposes a prohibition of ammunition transfers by anyone who is not licensed under the Firearm Dealer License Certification Act.

So if they can put all the FFLs out of business there will be nowhere to buy ammo. Seems like they have it all planned out. Buy ammo now.

On 1/17/2023 at 3:41 PM, mauserme said:

I've just given it a quick reading.  Based on that, it would be impossible to introduce new shooters to the sport since you can't give them ammunition, and they can't buy any (assuming they have no FOID card).

Hoping we get a few good court rulings here so we can all go to these hearings and point and laugh at the sponsor for suggesting something so idiotic.

On 1/17/2023 at 3:21 PM, Pies72618 said:

You don't need an FFL to sell now. This would impact a lot of sporting clubs (sporting clays/skeet/trap/5 stand) and hunt clubs. A lot don't have FFLs as they don't buy/sell guns. But they do sell a ton of ammo. 

I didn't say you needed one to sell now...  Please reread. 

And, or, and must, have legal implications. You jumped in with legal to sell, but that's not what I said.

JQ

On 1/17/2023 at 5:39 PM, John Q Public said:

I didn't say you needed one to sell now...  Please reread. 

And, or, and must, have legal implications. You jumped in with legal to sell, but that's not what I said.

JQ

I stand corrected. Quickly misread. And agree the various terms can have major implications.

It makes the FOID pretty much completely redundant then. Private transfers will have to go through an FFL. Ammo through an FFL. Purchases through an FFL. 

No reason or purpose for the FOID if this were to become law.  The FOID would clearly become redundant law that only serves as an infringement hurdle. 

Wow...never woulda thunk it!

Dupage?!

https://www.nctv17.org/news/dupage-county-sheriff-joins-list-of-those-refusing-to-enforce-assault-weapons-ban/

DuPage County Sheriff James Mendrick has joined a growing list of sheriffs across the state that say they will not fully enforce the newly passed assault weapons ban signed by Governor J.B. Pritzker on Tuesday.

Mendrick says assault weapons ban violates 2nd Amendment

In a press release issued today, Mendrick spoke about the passage of House Bill 5471, saying:

“The right to keep and bear arms for defense of life, liberty and property is regarded as an inalienable right by the people.

I, among many others, believe that HB 5471 is a clear violation of the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution.

Therefore, as the custodian of the jail and chief law enforcement official for DuPage County, that neither myself nor my office will be checking to ensure that lawful gun owners register their weapons with the State, nor will we be arresting or housing law-abiding individuals that have been arrested solely with non-compliance of this Act.”

On 1/19/2023 at 2:57 PM, illinois_buckeye said:

Regarding ammo, if you buy online, could you not ship it to your FFL?  Although they've lately had ammo anyway.  Might be time to stock up again before they figure out more ways to try to not allow you to buy.  

Much more expensive at the FFL and that's why people buy in bulk online. The anti freedom conspirators want to make it cost prohibitive for regular people.

well, she a friend of the criminal.

Here's her HB1053, Repeal of the Habitual Criminal Statute.

https://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocTypeID=HB&DocNum=1053&GAID=17&SessionID=112&LegID=142971

Synopsis As Introduced
Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Repeals the armed habitual criminal statute. Amends the Unified Code of Corrections. Repeals the general recidivism and habitual criminal provisions of the Code.

Archived