how does one go about selling a pistol that holds too much

russ60477

An FFL would probably pay you less than $200 for a used Glock 19.  It's not worth it to sell.  Wait for the outcome in the courts.  It should eventually be declared unconstitutional, and if there is any justice (Northern District of Illinois ...), there should at least be a temporary injunction or stay forthcoming fairly quickly.

I wonder if there's any truth to the alleged rumor circulating that Jabba is on tape admitting to knowing that the ban is unconstitutional?  

You could post it in the Gear - For Sale forum here.  There are non-IL residents here.  Gunbroker or another auction site would work, too.  The transaction would ultimately go through the buyer's FFL in that person's state.

Do you know anyone out of state willing to hold the mags for you?  Another option would be to do that and get 10-rounders for your 19x until a judge slaps down the state.  That way you don't have to sell your pistol at all.

On 1/16/2023 at 9:31 AM, russ60477 said:

so I've got a glock 19x

as we know you can get one with 17 mags or 10 rounders from the factory. 

Mine does have the high cap mags.

I know nothing about Glocks... the current capacity limit is 15 rounds, not 10 rounds.

I hope these are better options for you:

15 round factory mags for G19

Mag Blockers for Glocks

These come in different colors so you can see the difference...

Cheers,

Tim

Edited by soundguy

so ive got a glock 19x as we know you can get one with 17 mags or 10 rounders from the factory.  Mine does have the high cap mags.

ive called a few gun shops to see if they might be interested in a purchase they stated no thanks since its a high cap item.

how does one go about selling it now .

If you are concerned about the new law, I see no reason to rush. It will be appealed soon. It is a good chance that a temporary restraining order will delay enforce.

The police are not kicking down doors throughout the state or setting up roadblocks to enforce the law. People are not being randomly frisked on the street. 

Certainly, keep track of the situation and be ready to act if the unlikely need arises.

On 1/16/2023 at 10:06 AM, russ60477 said:

im mainly looking to sell it since the 19x is the larger frame and takes more then 15  and i already have a 19 that holds 15 . i would take the cash and buy another carry gun. i just hate having  a safe queen till this gets figured out.

It's not a safe queen unless you make it one. It's still legal to own the gun and the mags but the 17 round mag can only be used in certain locations. No need to sell the gun or the mags, just follow the law and don't carry the 17 round mag in your gun. It's still useful at home for self-defense needs. The gun is also useful as spare parts for your Glock19. You can still sell the gun with a 10 round mag or you can get a MAGBLOCK for $7 each and convert your 17 round mags to 15 round mags. Retrofit them for 15 rounds and test them at the range and then use them in the way allowed by the law until this law is settled, one way or another. If the law is upheld then epoxy the 15 round mags so they cannot be changed and go about your business. If you really need the money to afford another carry gun then you can sell it to an FFL and be done with it. Just don't expect to get too much money for it.

FFLs are going to be struggling so if you have a good FFL that you know and respect then you could work out a deal where you loose a little and he makes a little and maybe he will stay open in the meantime. No rush to do anything right now.

Kinda related - just picked up a couple 15 round MagBlocks for my CZ  75 SP-01 Tactical. With USPS shipping = $17.25.  The only handgun I own with over 15 round capacity. I've spent a whole lot more for a whole lot less in my time - LOL - so even when this latest idiotic infringement gets thrown out, it's not like I'm out any big bucks or had to give up a pistol.

On 1/16/2023 at 12:14 PM, RandyP said:

Kinda related - just picked up a couple 15 round MagBlocks for my CZ  75 SP-01 Tactical. With USPS shipping = $17.25.  The only handgun I own with over 15 round capacity. I've spent a whole lot more for a whole lot less in my time - LOL - so even when this latest idiotic infringement gets thrown out, it's not like I'm out any big bucks or had to give up a pistol.

Modern problems require modern solutions. I chopped my G17 frame down to use G19 magazines. Carries much better too.

Still needs some touching up and maybe a magwell.

Jig only works on P80/Grey Ghost frames sadly. If I'm stuck with 15 rounders, Im chopping the grip. I understand if you dont want to do this with a G19X though. You can also buy a G19 frame for about $80-100 (If anyone will even ship them right now is beyond me though)

IMG_20230116_161205997 (1).jpg

IMG_20230116_161124950.jpg

IMG-4533__31085 (1).jpg

Edited by Capt_Destro

On 1/16/2023 at 12:14 PM, RandyP said:

Kinda related - just picked up a couple 15 round MagBlocks for my CZ  75 SP-01 Tactical. With USPS shipping = $17.25. 

The magblock solve is interesting, it appears to sit on top of the spring base plate. If I am interpreting the wording as currently in this law, it would probably need to be installed so can't be easily changed back...so have seen comments around epoxying the magblock to the spring base plate. could you instead just replace that whole piece of the mag (spring base plate) and not need to epoxy - just swap? (tested with my 3d printer for proof of concept on one of my 17rd mags and does not let more than 15rds added) or does this not go far enough in the "permanence" of the modification, and does the magblock even if epoxied? (thinking of simple solutions just for range days if comes down to it.)

On 1/16/2023 at 7:17 PM, liberty13 said:

The magblock solve is interesting, it appears to sit on top of the spring base plate. If I am interpreting the wording as currently in this law, it would probably need to be installed so can't be easily changed back...so have seen comments around epoxying the magblock to the spring base plate. could you instead just replace that whole piece of the mag (spring base plate) and not need to epoxy - just swap? (tested with my 3d printer for proof of concept on one of my 17rd mags and does not let more than 15rds added) or does this not go far enough in the "permanence" of the modification, and does the magblock even if epoxied? (thinking of simple solutions just for range days if comes down to it.)

When the 10 round mag limit was being discussed before the law was passed I experimented with using mag blocks in some cheap glock mags. I used some epozy to attach the base plate to the inside plate that locks into the base plate. I let them sit for three days and went back and tried to change them back when they raised the mag limit to 15 rounds. Those mags could not be opened without destroying the mag bottom plate and possibly other parts so I left them limited to 10 rounds capacity. It was a permanent modification. Just make sure that you let the epoxy cure and use some on the outside rim of the bottom base plate so it is apparent that the mag has been modified. Test the mags before you epoxy to verify that you are unable to load more than 15 rounds for a pistol or 10 rounds for a rifle mag. Magblocks sells black epoxy in a small bottle that works well or pick some up at the hardware store. The law does not prohibit you from using your 17 round mags at the range, just make sure they are not loaded and stored in a case during transport.

On 1/16/2023 at 10:09 PM, mousegun6 said:

When the 10 round mag limit was being discussed before the law was passed I experimented with using mag blocks in some cheap glock mags. I used some epozy to attach the base plate to the inside plate that locks into the base plate. I let them sit for three days and went back and tried to change them back when they raised the mag limit to 15 rounds. Those mags could not be opened without destroying the mag bottom plate and possibly other parts so I left them limited to 10 rounds capacity. It was a permanent modification. Just make sure that you let the epoxy cure and use some on the outside rim of the bottom base plate so it is apparent that the mag has been modified. Test the mags before you epoxy to verify that you are unable to load more than 15 rounds for a pistol or 10 rounds for a rifle mag. Magblocks sells black epoxy in a small bottle that works well or pick some up at the hardware store. The law does not prohibit you from using your 17 round mags at the range, just make sure they are not loaded and stored in a case during transport.

Try soaking in water/acetone. Or expose to very hot water (just under boiling point.

Or just use Rockset as the adhesive 

Edited by Capt_Destro

On 1/17/2023 at 9:51 AM, Capt_Destro said:

Try soaking in water/acetone. Or expose to very hot water (just under boiling point.

Or just use Rockset as the adhesive 

Thanks, but I'm just going to keep the mags at 10 rounds to use at the range. It will be easier because after ten rounds I run out of fingers to count with and I don't want to have to take off my shoes at the range.😉

On 1/16/2023 at 5:35 PM, Capt_Destro said:

You can also buy a G19 frame for about $80-100 (If anyone will even ship them right now is beyond me though)

I did this for my G26 when the ban on spooky bois was implemented. I bought from Lucas Tactical in Rock Island. Shipping to my FFL was fast & cheap. All in it cost my $82.53.

https://lucastactical.com/

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2023 at 10:03 AM, soundguy said:

I know nothing about Glocks... the current capacity limit is 15 rounds, not 10 rounds.

I hope these are better options for you:

15 round factory mags for G19

Mag Blockers for Glocks

These come in different colors so you can see the difference...

Cheers,

Tim

Unfortunately, the mag blockers would still be considered readily convertible to hold a capacity more than 15 rounds

so ive got a glock 19x as we know you can get one with 17 mags or 10 rounders from the factory.  Mine does have the high cap mags.

ive called a few gun shops to see if they might be interested in a purchase they stated no thanks since its a high cap item.

how does one go about selling it now .

Glock has 15 round G17 length magazines.

I was at an eastern IA LGS this weekend and they had a lot of handguns and AR's that they said they had bought from IL residents.  They thought these IL residents were panicking and should wait for the courts to rule, and they said they were not advertising to buy guns from IL residents, however they had a lot of IL residents contacting them.

• 9 months later...