It could have been worse

vito

I'm not thrilled with Pritzker's new gun grab law, and I know it will do nothing to reduce crime in Chicago, but I was pleasantly surprised at the final wording in the law. I thought that we would end up with a hangun magazine capacity of 10 as the maximum, so finding out that it is 15 was a nice surprise. I had planned on switching to my Glock 26 as my primary carry gun, with its 10+1 capacity, but now I will consider taking my Ruger SR40c out of the safe and making it my main carry gun. I like this Ruger, and in an OWB holster it is not too large to consider for concealed carry. With its 15 round mag it still is OK here in IL, giving me 16 rounds of 40 S&W without carrying extra mags. 

On 1/15/2023 at 3:53 PM, vito said:

but I was pleasantly surprised at the final wording in the law.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time analyzing the new law and have offered some commentary elsewhere on this blog as a recent new member. Although hoping the law will be overturned, I try to figure out ways to make it work in the meantime.

It is an impractical mess in terms of working with the new law if you have one of the prohibited weapons in terms of compliance; it is going to be hard to find people to sell you spare parts or get repairs; there are issues with acceptable locations of your weapons, acceptable transport, and passing on to heirs or anybody else. Although they relented a bit on the magazine size, they now went after rimfire weapons not included in the original IL House bill  Although section by section I can understand it, when I try to think of it “in total,” and what it means, I literally get sick to my stomach (and not pleasantly surprised).

On 1/15/2023 at 5:42 PM, vito said:

I only said that it could have been worse. I agree that it is a terrible law, clearly unconstitutional, and will do nothing to make anyone safer except possibly criminals. 

Yes, it could have been worse. But I am unable to use the word pleasant in any sentence describing this law. It's kind of like being happy that they hung you with a new rope, instead of using that old dirty one.

This is a f#cked up law, period. They wanted 10 and gave us 15. They will get 10rds, just let there be 1 self-defense shooting where the CCL Holder shoots at 3 car jackers 14 x's. Anti-gun Progressives would say, "if the law would have been 10rds, we could have saved 1 car jackers life." 🖕

On 1/18/2023 at 11:14 PM, noreaster said:

Seriously everyone, go easy on Vito. His prior posts speak for themselves. 

And it’s good to realize what was not taken away, that could’ve been, because that will be what is taken away next. 

Indeed, it's a surprise that somebody disobeyed Bloomberg's will and put 15-round magazines in the bill instead of 10. (Maybe somebody's mom owns a Beretta 92.) Vito didn't say he liked it, only that he could deal with it.

On 1/15/2023 at 3:53 PM, vito said:

I'm not thrilled with Pritzker's new gun grab law, and I know it will do nothing to reduce crime in Chicago, but I was pleasantly surprised at the final wording in the law. I thought that we would end up with a hangun magazine capacity of 10 as the maximum, so finding out that it is 15 was a nice surprise. 

I'm done (have been for a long while) with the table scraps that they toss at us in some attempt to get themselves a pat on the back and thanks from the gun community or special interest groups for not being 100% authoritarians but 99.99% authoritarians, while they deny and take away what is not theirs to take away in the first place, they will get no such pat on the back from me!

So a politician that doesn't know what a barrel shroud or a clip, is an expert on just how many rounds your going to need to protect your family in every self defense situation?  Riots , natural disasters, quick examples where the police have been more than minutes away.

My quick test is to substitute Bible or Quran for Firearm and see if it sounds like an infringement.

And the antis battle is one of a thousand cuts.  Next session it would limit capacity again or magazine fed entirely. 

On 1/19/2023 at 5:30 AM, Yas said:

My quick test is to substitute Bible or Quran for Firearm and see if it sounds like an infringement.

A better test might be to substitute “Assault Ballot” for “Assault Weapon” and define “Assault Ballot” as any ballot cast in any manner, at any time or at any location not an official polling place on Election Day and seeing how it would fly…..

On 1/18/2023 at 11:48 PM, ealcala31 said:

This is a f#cked up law, period. They wanted 10 and gave us 15. They will get 10rds, just let there be 1 self-defense shooting where the CCL Holder shoots at 3 car jackers 14 x's. Anti-gun Progressives would say, "if the law would have been 10rds, we could have saved 1 car jackers life." 🖕

Haha, that's true.  It is never enough for the tyrants.  We can be certain they view the 15 round mag limit as a loop hole and the other things too.  The "magazine loop hole" they will howl.  The scope loophole gives mass shooters the ability to kill more people more quickly, and givers super-human vision, so scopes must be banned next.  And the pistol style grip on a semiauto rifle cause that gives power to spray bullets wildly like a fire hose, but they dont want you to be accurate either.  And the ammo ban, we can be certain that will come along soon.  No 5.56 or 223 without an ISP issued endorsement for your "assault weapon" on your FOID card. And so on.

I don't see how as, "People," is an individual right. I don't disagree they may try, but they will not succeed.

What we need to get to is once the SC slaps down all this as uncon, we need to start going after them for breaking their oath. I'm no lawyer, but they swear; having no intention of keeping the oath. At some point we need to legally go after the perpetrators. 

Hey @vito I've always enjoyed reading your posts. You contribute to the forum in a very meaningful way, and I appreciate that. In my opinion, I think many who feel the same way as you are overlooking something. I 100% believe that the critters in Springfield are just getting started. I think their true intentions are to absolutely overwhelm the system with new anti 2A bills. Some will be signed into law. I firmly believe this is a coordinated effort we're seeing that is taking place nationwide. I think Illinois and JB have signed on to be the test dummy. They want to see exactly how far they can go in violating the God given rights of law abiding citizens. Harmon already told us, this won't solve the problem. Then he closed with, see you in court. This, feels like a game to them, and they're going to push and push. They want to flood us with so much that it makes it darn near impossible to fight in the courts on a timely basis. They're all arrogant and feel they're above the law. In reality, every congress critter who voted for this nonsense has effectively committed treason and or high crimes, very knowingly. I learned that in civics class in high school a long time ago. They just don't care any longer. This is all about power and control, nothing more, nothing less. That's how I see it. It's sad that a few crazy people and a city riddled with unchecked gun violence can cause law abiding citizens to lose their rights. That's just upside down logic, it lacks common sense, completely. 

On 1/19/2023 at 5:13 PM, John Q Public said:

I don't see how as, "People," is an individual right. I don't disagree they may try, but they will not succeed.

What we need to get to is once the SC slaps down all this as uncon, we need to start going after them for breaking their oath. I'm no lawyer, but they swear; having no intention of keeping the oath. At some point we need to legally go after the perpetrators. 

JQ, I've been saying this for years. There just has to be a clever legal mind out there that has a work around to finally hold these oath breakers legally and peacefully accountable. I look forward to that day, when a court goes after these people for blatantly breaking their oath. 

On 1/18/2023 at 10:14 PM, noreaster said:

Seriously everyone, go easy on Vito. His prior posts speak for themselves. 

And it’s good to realize what was not taken away, that could’ve been, because that will be what is taken away next. 

+1 and last time I checked, this forum allows everyone to express their opinion, freely. @vito served our country and has been a great contributor here. 

On 1/19/2023 at 2:20 PM, steveTA84 said:

Democrat congress critters (also known as communist swine) now pressuring the DuPage Sheriff 

Rep. Casten is a far left radical   He put out a tweet praising the Antifa thugs that attacked Rittenhouse  

Rep. Casten is a far left radical   He put out a tweet praising the Antifa thugs that attacked Rittenhouse  

4AB48F74-E472-4C23-AC46-DD49CCAF12B8.jpeg

Anyone that thinks I am happy with this new law is totally misreading what I wrote. I only said that it could have been worse. That doesn't mean that I want this law fought and declared  unconstitutional any less than any of you. I sent a contribution to Illinois Carry to assist in whatever legal action is being taken (have you?). But as a practical matter I now have the option of legally carrying my SR40c with the extended, 15 round magazine, instead of the shorter 9 round magazine. And my even larger magazines for my Glock 17 are still legal within my home which is the only place I keep that gun. Let's fight this law, but recognize that even the gun haters had to back off on their most radical desires. 

No disrespect meant to you Vito.  Just sticking me in the craw that we continually go thru this every few years and they think that by starting out cutting hard, then backing off on a point or 2 is a compromise  and we should be grateful for their B/S generosity of a carrot dangled in front of us.  

I'm falling into the Todd V school of thought that the lines been drawn and no more quarter should be given.  Stop making it easy for them. 

Remember the Chicago hearing a fews weeks back when Todd, the NRA lobbyist, mentioned in the past certain things have been backed off from in previous legislation as a "Compromise" and a year later the legislation was generated grabbing back what was taken off the table. Its the continual Springfield game. ENOUGH. 

Tired of seeing FOID holders treated as the low hanging fruit to turn into us criminals by legislative fiat and a cute sound bite politicians can bray come reelection time,  rather than make constructive legislation to punish the criminal element and perhaps discourage continual criminal activity.

Time to look back at how long and which legislators were sitting in committee entertaining this " Legal, constitutionaly correct infringement" they've been spoon fed by the trifecta of anti 2nd amendment organizations and law groups that insisted was legal. And then look  back on this again after the dust settles in the courts yet once again toss it. 

Disco Don Harmons braying comments  Yea  see you in court,  the speed at which the governor sped to sign it rather than pause and consider it for its constitutionality.  When Pritzger decides to run for other offices as its been hinted, His lack of respect for law abiding citizens  rights should become a constant point of his ignorance.

Archived