Passage of Illinois Gun Law was Rushed

mauserme

Was this bill rushed? No, I don't think it was.

I believe the special interest groups and pacs, the activists, the politicians and their handlers, the lawyers and tax payer funded attornies all were satisfied with what is in it.

The fact that there are errors and fallacies, ommisions, etc are just the results of a general lack of comprehension.

"We have to pass it before we know what is in it" and variations of that famous statement have been repeated numerous times over the years.

The politicians don't care to read it. They repeat the talking points from their notecards.

If folks who dislike and fear guns, and oppose the 2A thought logically, using reason, their bills wouldn't look like a hot mess. Instead, they go with the old "Something needs to be done" angle and throw it on the wall.

On 1/15/2023 at 7:12 AM, steveTA84 said:

Wow C88BDF41-8212-4DA9-8F4D-9328710BE332.jpeg.1747e0041d80b7a5af1c2ff14f04281d.jpegD0FE626F-2B80-4277-889F-525EC36EA1EE.thumb.jpeg.91ab0641c7ed38c198834967dec49a6a.jpeg979B4988-8BF4-460C-8D09-76DD109E5C53.jpeg.7429d677bf078f955ca825c9703ce579.jpeg

The best part is they really think ISP will be able to build a functional registration system in time for October🤣🤣🤣🤣, I can guarantee what ever system is created by October is going to be a real poo show, if it even functions based on past FOID and CCL experience.

On 1/15/2023 at 12:08 PM, snowcat said:

The best part is they really think ISP will be able to build a functional registration system in time for October🤣🤣🤣🤣, I can guarantee what ever system is created by October is going to be a real poo show, if it even functions based on past FOID and CCL experience.

LOL HELLOOOOOOO I mean did they even read this Bill LOL 87AD2153-0512-458C-A061-C093E55A259C.thumb.jpeg.4d85d9d8051fd3506f51432e2abe61ca.jpegA956E06B-5DAF-4B36-B864-21539E59472A.thumb.jpeg.846ca155b10de6ba6983b3fba1c8645c.jpeg

Oh, and the Trib seems to be prepping 

On 1/15/2023 at 6:33 AM, Craigcr2 said:

I really think it’s just an economy of time issues. I’m not trying to defend JB, but I assume that his schedule is similar to the CEO of a large company. He doesn’t have time to read Bruen and likely depends on a summary prepared by his attorney or the AG. The righter was probably an ideologue, an idiot, or both. 

He has legal advisors whose job it is to inform him.  He is either willfully ignorant, or evil and doesn't care.

On 1/15/2023 at 5:34 PM, mauserme said:

The coalition of pro-gun groups in Illinois chose to refuse any negotiation because of how strongly we felt about our ability to win this in court.

Apparently a lot of people whose job is to enforce the law feel the same.

And we should make no mistake, ultimately this isn't just about the 2A. It's about the Constitution as a whole.

On 1/15/2023 at 9:42 AM, mikew said:

what is meant by this term?

Mocking people like Emmanuel and Donald. The weapons of war argument is so hilarious. So, AR-15's are dangerous - but police officers get to possess them? including the state police? I thought Kwame Raoul was against police militarization - I guess only when it's non-progressive people. AR-15's are meant to kill people, but only police, federal agents and the like should have them? I can't wait to see their response when we get to court.

On 1/15/2023 at 5:47 PM, springfield shooter said:

Apparently a lot of people whose job is to enforce the law feel the same.

And we should make no mistake, ultimately this isn't just about the 2A. It's about the Constitution as a whole.

It's about the sweat of a man's brow, the things he owns, and what right the state has to take **** away because the elite constituents don't want to understand civics.

I think waiting a while to respond has been a good thing. It gave the Sheriffs a chance to step up as our first line of defense and demonstrated that complete disregard for the constitution is going to be challenged. I think we should take our time and co-ordinate the legal response to attack this law on multiple fronts. A TRO would be nice and make us feel better but the state will just go into court immediately and ask for a stay on the TRO until the case is heard on it's merits. It's going to be a long and winding legal road with an uncertain outcome but at least we are on the right side of history. Pass the ammunition.

On 1/14/2023 at 6:02 PM, DoYouFeelLucky said:

The upside of this is that it may be the tipping point that gets moderates of all three political parties (including the largest one, independents) to start pushing back against being over-governmented.  I just saw a former associate who is usually moderately liberal start ranting that she doesn't like guns, but if they think this over-reach is OK, what is next?  She also is having issues because IL failed to pay back federal funds for COVID and now all businesses, such as hers, are getting dinged on their federal taxes.

It won't and it will have the exact opposite effect.  It will drive more businesses out.  The only gun shops we will have will be tabletop FFLs by appt only or holes in the wall tiny shops with limited inventory.  There is no need to have a large gun shop anymore because 50% of the inventory can't be stocked. Semi-auto rifles = gone.  Who is going to buy a Glock 17 that can only hold 10 round mags when a Glock 19 will come with 15 rounders.  Think about how many pistols that covers.   

The Dealer License bill cost us about half our FFLs.  Shops that had been around 50 years (like Schrank's in Waukegan) closed up.  This is going to drive even more out of business.  

And any residents who can leave will most likely leave.  That means even fewer 2A voters.  

Well, the state has a history of using shell bills, surprise sponsors, suspending rules and expediting matters - when it suits them. Look at the FCCA. Despite having 2 weeks after Raoul's original bill, and 68 Legislative days (wish I could work that few days and still get paid), they waited until the very last day of the legislative calendar. As i mention to my students:

On May 31st, HB 183 receives 3 additional Senate Amendments, and has all 3 of Senator Raoul’s withdrawn.

It also has no less than 91 separate actions happen, including:

• being sent between Executive and Assignment committees a half dozen times
  • having a “recall for 2nd reading” in the Senate
  • Having the third reading and passing (45-12-1)
  • Being sent to the House for concurrence
  • Being voted on in the House and passing (89-28-0)

All in a single day

On 1/15/2023 at 8:19 AM, GTX63 said:

Was this bill rushed? No, I don't think it was.

I believe the special interest groups and pacs, the activists, the politicians and their handlers, the lawyers and tax payer funded attornies all were satisfied with what is in it.….

I disagree, just consider the flopping on handgun magazine capacity. Handguns are the overwhelming use of criminal violence with guns, and most handguns that would be realistically considered for concealed carry are unaffected. It’s hard to imagine the intent was to leave CCL mostly unaffected. I fully expect handgun capacity to be revisited sooner than later as a “correction“

On 1/15/2023 at 6:17 PM, crufflesmuth said:

Mocking people like Emmanuel and Donald. The weapons of war argument is so hilarious. So, AR-15's are dangerous - but police officers get to possess them? including the state police? I thought Kwame Raoul was against police militarization - I guess only when it's non-progressive people. AR-15's are meant to kill people, but only police, federal agents and the like should have them? I can't wait to see their response when we get to court.

Some of the same people that wanted to defund the police, calling them racist, reckless, even murderers, now want to weaponize them against law abiding citizens.

These fools don’t have a clue what side of the fence that they’re on…

On 1/16/2023 at 12:18 PM, Fuddly said:

I disagree, just consider the flopping on handgun magazine capacity. Handguns are the overwhelming use of criminal violence with guns, and most handguns that would be realistically considered for concealed carry are unaffected. It’s hard to imagine the intent was to leave CCL mostly unaffected. I fully expect handgun capacity to be revisited sooner than later as a “correction“

I have yet to have a rational, reasoned, intelligent conversation with someone who was antigun enough to support a law such as this. I am not saying there aren't people who dislike the 2A and cannot offer up a fair argument; I am saying the wackos who continually shove crap like this down our throats cannot.

Archived