Under New Law - Replacement Parts/Upgrades For Items Under AW

FieldGL

FYI Use Caution hopping the border. I wouldn't put it passed Jabba going all California with the ISP.

What I'm saying is CA Police would be outside the state looking for CA Plates at Gunshows, Ranges, Etc. IIRC ISP has done the same thing for fireworks (Yet some how they always missed out on that contraband lmao).

Illinois Nazis... Damn man

On 1/12/2023 at 6:16 PM, davel501 said:

Seems like a hole big enough to drive a bus load of 2a lawyers through. 😁

Doesn't that ignore the whole "Well Regulated" aspect?

A Militia having arms in good working order. How can a militia have arms in IN GOOD WORKING ORDER without the ability to repair/maintain said arms covered by the 2nd Amendment of the United States?

Not lashing out at you, it's rhetorical

On 1/12/2023 at 6:19 PM, Capt_Destro said:

Doesn't that ignore the whole "Well Regulated" aspect?

A Militia having arms in good working order. How can a militia have arms in IN GOOD WORKING ORDER without the ability to repair/maintain said arms covered by the 2nd Amendment of the United States?

Not lashing out at you, it's rhetorical

Yeah, it's one of the things that will doom the bill. It's a sneaky, slow rolling ban. Now we know what Ford was referring to with you're done when you run out. 

On 1/11/2023 at 3:40 PM, Jacob76 said:

I was able to order a trigger guard from a well known site out of Columbia, MO. They’ve shut down a purchase for a lower receiver before based on Cook County. When I added a lower to my cart this time it refused to let me continue based on IL law not Cook County. 

It didn’t throw that error when I put a BCG or castle nut in my cart. I didn’t go through with a purchase though so YMMV.

They shipped me a Glock firing pin yesterday.

Plus, AR parts have become so ubiquitous that they are used on many bolt action guns, like stocks, grips, etc.  How can they ban that?  Seems like it would be on you to follow the law vs companies being unable to sell them.  Kinda like selling AR pistol barrels that can be put on any AR rifle.  They can sell them to you, it's up to you how you use them.

On 1/12/2023 at 6:13 PM, techgeek said:

You can keep your gun but if a spring breaks you have a thousand dollar paperweight.  What a crock of $h1^

There seems to be differing views on whether replacement or repair parts can be sold for AR-type weapons. My reading on the law was expressed earlier in this regard basically indicating that miscellaneous repair part sales are not banned, but there is an issue of whether someone might be trying to convert an existing weapon to a prohibited weapon or create a new one from scratch (which is banned). Due to this, sellers at least initially may be reluctant to sell in Illinois until they better understand the law and get their lawyers to review. Certainly something like a "spring" should not be banned as an isolated part sale.

In any case, the new law does state that an allowable location for a grandfathered prohibited weapon is “while on the premises of a licensed firearms dealer or gunsmith for the purpose of lawful repair;”

On 1/12/2023 at 6:13 PM, techgeek said:

You can keep your gun but if a spring breaks you have a thousand dollar paperweight.  What a crock of $h1^

Don't worry, once you registered it you will not keep it for long and worries about replacement part would be the last of your concerns... 

I would rather focus on 

- working with my county to get Sherrif to announce nullification. Which is harder since I am in Will county

- supporting ISRA in the lawsuit 

- waiting and see

worrying about this or that little sub scenario ONCE YOU REGISTER YOUR GUNS is pointless. regardless of what you think you will do, if you register and comply -> you will get them confiscated. end of story. 

On 1/13/2023 at 10:18 AM, SkyRider said:

There seems to be differing views on whether replacement or repair parts can be sold for AR-type weapons. My reading on the law was expressed earlier in this regard basically indicating that miscellaneous repair part sales are not banned, but there is an issue of whether someone might be trying to convert an existing weapon to a prohibited weapon or create a new one from scratch (which is banned). Due to this, sellers at least initially may be reluctant to sell in Illinois until they better understand the law and get their lawyers to review. Certainly something like a "spring" should not be banned as an isolated part sale.

In any case, the new law does state that an allowable location for a grandfathered prohibited weapon is “while on the premises of a licensed firearms dealer or gunsmith for the purpose of lawful repair;”

your reading of the law is incorrect. 

(11) Sells, manufactures, delivers, imports,  possesses, or purchases any assault weapon attachment or .50 caliber cartridge in violation of Section 24-1.9 or 

(3) "Assault weapon attachment" means any device capable of being attached to a firearm that is specifically designed for making or converting a firearm into any of the firearms listed in paragraph (1) of this subsection (a).

(I) Any part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, including any combination of parts from which an assault weapon may be readily assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

every part of a defined gun is illegal seperately

On 1/13/2023 at 10:47 AM, Tvandermyde said:

(11) Sells, manufactures, delivers, imports,  possesses, or purchases any assault weapon attachment or .50 caliber cartridge in violation of Section 24-1.9 or 

(3) "Assault weapon attachment" means any device capable of being attached to a firearm that is specifically designed for making or converting a firearm into any of the firearms listed in paragraph (1) of this subsection (a).

(I) Any part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, including any combination of parts from which an assault weapon may be readily assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

every part of a defined gun is illegal seperately

Sounds like they really shot themselves in the foot with this one.

On 1/13/2023 at 10:47 AM, Tvandermyde said:

I recognize and respect your identity as having considerable experience in this area of firearms, and I am new to this website; however, multi-billion dollar companies have depended on my expertise in terms of ensuring regulatory compliance across the spectrum of disciplines.

My example was related to a “spring,” and your quotations are dependent on such an item as being able to convert a firearm to a prohibited weapon, or alternatively, such an item/ part being enough to assemble a prohibited weapon from scratch. That is a “stretch” beyond any possible intention of the law. However, I understand and respect your motivation to read the new law in a restrictive way in the endeavor to get the unconstitutional law overturned.

On 1/13/2023 at 10:45 AM, EngChi said:

Don't worry, once you registered it you will not keep it for long and worries about replacement part would be the last of your concerns... 

I would rather focus on 

- working with my county to get Sherrif to announce nullification. Which is harder since I am in Will county

- supporting ISRA in the lawsuit 

- waiting and see

worrying about this or that little sub scenario ONCE YOU REGISTER YOUR GUNS is pointless. regardless of what you think you will do, if you register and comply -> you will get them confiscated. end of story. 

This man is right.

On 1/13/2023 at 1:25 PM, SkyRider said:

I recognize and respect your identity as having considerable experience in this area of firearms, and I am new to this website; however, multi-billion dollar companies have depended on my expertise in terms of ensuring regulatory compliance across the spectrum of disciplines.

My example was related to a “spring,” and your quotations are dependent on such an item as being able to convert a firearm to a prohibited weapon, or alternatively, such an item/ part being enough to assemble a prohibited weapon from scratch. That is a “stretch” beyond any possible intention of the law. However, I understand and respect your motivation to read the new law in a restrictive way in the endeavor to get the unconstitutional law overturned.

Good for you

As a NON-lawyer I have sat second Chair in front of the Supreme Court of Illinois and my view/argument on the law I wrote prevailed

My view/argument on the SBR law prevailed at ATF

It was asked and answered in the floor debate

you sound like the people who have been calling me thinking they found a loophole for stripped receivers 

If your not Rick Vascez I'll stack my interpretation up against anyone

ATF deams readily for machineguns as 8 hours of work. . . .

On 1/13/2023 at 2:36 PM, Tvandermyde said:

Good for you

It is not a matter of reputation or interpretation but being able to decipher reasonable intent and enforceability of a piece of legislation.

Regarding parts, the legislation states: “in the possession or under the control of the same person” in terms of being able to assemble a prohibited weapon from those parts. You can’t do that with a single part you buy from someone, but it is possible that a Seller will decide not to sell you any parts, so that you can not assemble the number of parts necessary to convert a weapon or to assemble a prohibited weapon from scratch. For online sales, I understand it is easier to block all sales rather than carefully address the issue, and that probably will happen, … which is indeed part of the problem that gun owners in Illinois now face as they deal with the new rule.

Elsewhere on this blog I was criticized for inferring I would likely register my weapon in October because basically that is the law.  The penalty for not doing so is a Class A misdemeanor with up to a year in jail. I can’t risk that but would have no problem with publicly buying or selling a miscellaneous repair part for my prohibited weapon due to it not being illegal or otherwise enforceable.

In any case, I respect the work you do, and I wish you well in your efforts to help get the unconstitutional law overturned.

In support of what I previously stated, maybe there is a distinction to be made in order to help people understand. What is permissible is buying parts to repair a currently owned weapon. In trying to understand how some people are stating that no parts can be bought or sold, I would clarify that what will be important is what you end up having in your possession. If you have enough parts in your possession to convert an otherwise acceptable firearm into a prohibited weapon, or you have enough parts to create an entirely new prohibited weapon, that would be a big problem and clearly in violation of the new law. There are likely other areas where a problem could arise if, for example, you purchase a major part that includes a whole new serial number intended for another weapon. This would go beyond my explanation that miscellaneous repair part purchases, like a spring or bolt, are acceptable.

On 1/13/2023 at 3:37 PM, SkyRider said:

It is not a matter of reputation or interpretation but being able to decipher reasonable intent and enforceability of a piece of legislation.

Regarding parts, the legislation states: “in the possession or under the control of the same person” in terms of being able to assemble a prohibited weapon from those parts. You can’t do that with a single part you buy from someone, but it is possible that a Seller will decide not to sell you any parts, so that you can not assemble the number of parts necessary to convert a weapon or to assemble a prohibited weapon from scratch. For online sales, I understand it is easier to block all sales rather than carefully address the issue, and that probably will happen, … which is indeed part of the problem that gun owners in Illinois now face as they deal with the new rule.

Elsewhere on this blog I was criticized for inferring I would likely register my weapon in October because basically that is the law.  The penalty for not doing so is a Class A misdemeanor with up to a year in jail. I can’t risk that but would have no problem with publicly buying or selling a miscellaneous repair part for my prohibited weapon due to it not being illegal or otherwise enforceable.

In any case, I respect the work you do, and I wish you well in your efforts to help get the unconstitutional law overturned.

Your parts interpretation is completely reasonable but this law has no reason. Since FFL Dealers were not listed as an exempt group, 75% of my distributors have ceased to sell me prohibited items even though the law clearly states we can sell out of state. I can't even buy prohibited parts...

On 1/13/2023 at 8:06 PM, ealcala31 said:

Your parts interpretation is completely reasonable but this law has no reason. Since FFL Dealers were not listed as an exempt group, 75% of my distributors have ceased to sell me prohibited items even though the law clearly states we can sell out of state. I can't even buy prohibited parts...

I’m not in the firearms industry, but I am an experienced risk & compliance guy. My gut says that these distributors (and online retailers) have somebody like me saying “pump the brakes for a while. I’m working with the lawyers to figure out where the lines are”.

On 1/13/2023 at 8:43 PM, Craigcr2 said:

I’m not in the firearms industry, but I am an experienced risk & compliance guy. My gut says that these distributors (and online retailers) have somebody like me saying “pump the brakes for a while. I’m working with the lawyers to figure out where the lines are”.

Zanders is a top 10 distributor based in IL and they said the same thing. Most manufacturers slammed on the brakes until their lawyers can get an understanding of the law. They said when the smoke settles, a few things MIGHT change. It depends if their interpretation of the law is correct.

On 1/13/2023 at 8:06 PM, ealcala31 said:

I wish I had some words of wisdom for people like firearm dealers, but I don’t. I was commenting on the law in this post from a gun owner’s perspective as restrictions on firearm possession (and magazines) is the main topic of the new law as I see it. The law provides that an acceptable location of a grandfathered prohibited weapon to be on the premises of a dealer or gunsmith for the purpose of “lawful repair,” but the law is silent on how that is that going work if a dealer/gunsmith can’t get parts. Somebody probably put the words into the bill at the last minute to try to cover the repair aspect, but it is a big omission to not say more than that.

On 1/13/2023 at 10:56 PM, SkyRider said:

I wish I had some words of wisdom for people like firearm dealers, but I don’t. I was commenting on the law in this post from a gun owner’s perspective as restrictions on firearm possession (and magazines) is the main topic of the new law as I see it. The law provides that an acceptable location of a grandfathered prohibited weapon to be on the premises of a dealer or gunsmith for the purpose of “lawful repair,” but the law is silent on how that is that going work if a dealer/gunsmith can’t get parts. Somebody probably put the words into the bill at the last minute to try to cover the repair aspect, but it is a big omission to not say more than that.

Agreed.

Archived