Have Questions About the new Protect Illinois Communities Act?

mauserme

Have Questions About the new Protect Illinois Communities Act?

So do we.

This law was passed with more confusion than explanation, leading to a large number of questions about it's implications and enforcement.  We are as confused as anyone.

Because of this we suggest all questions be directed to both sponsors who will share their firearm and legal expertise. 

They may be contacted at:

House Sponsor Representative Bob Morgan

District Office:  (847) 780-8471

info@repbobmorgan.com

Senate Sponsor President Don Harmon

District Office:  (708) 848-2002

dharmon@senatedem.ilga.gov

The Illinois State police can also be contacted with questions.  Director Kelly's office may be reached at 217-782-7263.

Don't be shy.  No question is too small.  

###

On 1/11/2023 at 1:20 PM, kestrou said:

I'm not a regular poster here, but BEAT FEET once I heard of the legislation passing...

Here's a good one: If somebody THEORETICALLY has a 50BMG rifle with SOME AMOUNT of ammunition onhand, what happens in days/weeks/months when they need to buy more ammo? Screwed?!

Kevin

I would say yes. That person is screwed. They could try to buy ammo out of state and bring it in but I would guess that would be technically illegal.

SO, a Glock Model 22 normally comes with a 15 round magazine. (I assume that the fact you can have one in the chamber for 16 total does not matter since they say magazine capacity of 15 or less). But elsewhere it says the weapon can not accept a magazine larger that that so there ARE magazines for the Model 22 that will hold more than 15. Does that make the gun illegal under this law or not.

Are stripped lowers banned?  They have none of the specified features.  You could do a CA stock, bullet button and bolt action upper.

Is it purchased/transfer AND a background check initiated or purchased OR transfer with a background check initiated.  I know that sounds odd, but what if it was purchased online before he signed the bill?  It has been purchased, but no background check initiated.  So I would assume it is legally yours once you pay for it and have a dated and time stamped receipt.

Are we going to be able to list the caliber as "multi" for lowers that you swap uppers on?

How can they ban the sale of all parts when some parts are used on bolt action chassis rifles like grips, stocks, etc.  What if you have a legal, grandfathered "assault" rifle and have a part break?

I could probably go on for days.

Edited by LeviSS

Question:

Should I give the ***** my serial numbers and raise that flag?

(ATF should have that info but apparently they don't talk to one-another or are just looking for reasons to place "potholes" in our way forward in order to forcibly remove our ominous black guns and artillery of war!)

or:

Should I start digging a hole in the basement to store my newly designated illicit weaponry?

On 1/11/2023 at 7:40 PM, LeviSS said:

Are stripped lowers banned?  They have none of the specified features.  You could do a CA stock, bullet button and bolt action upper.

Is it purchased/transfer AND a background check initiated or purchased OR transfer with a background check initiated.  I know that sounds odd, but what if it was purchased online before he signed the bill?  It has been purchased, but no background check initiated.  So I would assume it is legally yours once you pay for it and have a dated and time stamped receipt.

Are we going to be able to list the caliber as "multi" for lowers that you swap uppers on?

How can they ban the sale of all parts when some parts are used on bolt action chassis rifles like grips, stocks, etc.  What if you have a legal, grandfathered "assault" rifle and have a part break?

I could probably go on for days.

See the first post in this thread for answers.  It might be good if you limited each email/call to just one of your questions and send them to both. 

what if i theoretically had an old 22 rifle that has a built in magazine that holds 20 rounds it’s bolt action but the magazine cannot be removed it would be illegal? but if i also had a sniper rifle that was used in a world war but it is 30 caliber and is good to 1500 meters in the right hands and that’s totally cool because it can only hold 5 rounds. What the hey!!!. 

On 1/11/2023 at 7:50 PM, Wild Bill said:

The sooner someone files a lawsuit, and another stupid Illinois law is overturned, the sooner your lives can return to normal.

You have to remember filing a lawsuit like this isn't easy. The brief you file, to my understanding, is limited to 30 pages or less (there are some workarounds, but I am not a lawyer). That sounds like a lot, but with all the issues in this bill, you will be just scratching the surface of those in 30 pages. Yet, your brief setups your case and has to show to the court that you have a case. 

So as much as we want a suit filed yesterday, it is important for the suits that are being filed to take the time to get them well prepared and then filed. For most of us, nothing changes for 90 days, except we can no longer buy banned firearms or magazines. I would much rather those involved take a few days and get the best argument for the suit put together than rush in and file a poorly written brief and create issues.

My guess is there may be a flood of suits coming. 

On 1/11/2023 at 7:52 PM, rrichard said:

Does anyone have the vote tally for the bill? Did any republicans vote in favor? If so, who? Any Dems vote against?

This is what I have seen so far. Trying to verify this is for the final vote on the bill.

Vote Tally Democrat Republican
Yea 68 66 2
Nay 41 4 37
Not Voting 2 1 1
Absent - - -
TOTAL 111 71 40
Edited by CaptStation17

On 1/13/2023 at 6:40 PM, CaptStation17 said:

This is what I have seen so far. Trying to verify this is for the final vote on the bill.

Vote Tally Democrat Republican
Yea 68 66 2
Nay 41 4 37
Not Voting 2 1 1
Absent - - -
TOTAL 111 71 40

Thanks. That helps, but I’d like to see a list of names and votes cast. I’ve seen that for other bills in the past, but can’t find the list for this one.