What effect do the new "laws" have on people moving to Illinois ?

Warped

On 1/11/2023 at 10:35 AM, Warped said:

I have been trying to keep up with all this stuff but I am sure I havent read everything.

I am wondering what a new resident moving from a free state to Illinois or a former resident moving back to Illinois is supposed to do or do can with there now outlawed equipment ?

First thing is they should find another state to move to, this one is a major suck fest and the corruption is just off the charts.

Discuss as you like, but we're referring such questions to the bill's sponsors, who we are confident will be happy to explain their legisltation:

House Sponsor Representative Bob Morgan

District Office:  (847) 780-8471

info@repbobmorgan.com

Senate Sponsor President Don Harmon

District Office:  (708) 848-2002

dharmon@senatedem.ilga.gov

Good suggestion mauserme!  Those who passed it need to be asked to explain it, just like the people who vote for this type of leadership in IL need to explain why they continue to do it over and over after decades of failed policy and a clear anti-citizen leaning.

I wouldn’t be surprised if anyone choosing to move to IL at this point would be subject to a FRO and have to give up their guns due to mental health issues.

On 1/11/2023 at 11:26 AM, mauserme said:

Discuss as you like, but we're referring such questions to the bill's sponsors, who we are confident will be happy to explain their legisltation:

House Sponsor Representative Bob Morgan

District Office:  (847) 780-8471

info@repbobmorgan.com

Senate Sponsor President Don Harmon

District Office:  (708) 848-2002

dharmon@senatedem.ilga.gov

You win the internet today.

On 1/11/2023 at 10:35 AM, Warped said:

I have been trying to keep up with all this stuff but I am sure I havent read everything.

I am wondering what a new resident moving from a free state to Illinois or a former resident moving back to Illinois is supposed to do or do can with there now outlawed equipment ?

There is an exception:

Except as provided in subsection (e) and beginning on
January 1, 2024, any person who moves into this State in
possession of an assault weapon, assault weapon attachment,
.50 caliber rifle, or .50 caliber cartridge shall, within 60
days, apply for a Firearm Owners Identification Card and
complete an endorsement application as outlined in subsection

(d).

There is near identical language for "large capacity ammunition feeding device(s)."

Note the language. It states "moves into." Is "moves into" defined in Illinois law?

What about those who are multi-state residents, owning property in free states? When they return to Illinois, potentially having legally purchased a firearm at their summer home in Wisconsin or Michigan or Arizona (or their winter home in Florida or Colorado), have they "moved into" Illinois and can they bring their legally owned yet banned AWB and magazines and endorse them?

Fun.

On 1/11/2023 at 2:19 PM, sailor said:

There is an exception:

(d).

There is near identical language for "large capacity ammunition feeding device(s)."

Note the language. It states "moves into." Is "moves into" defined in Illinois law?

What about those who are multi-state residents, owning property in free states? When they return to Illinois, potentially having legally purchased a firearm at their summer home in Wisconsin or Michigan or Arizona (or their winter home in Florida or Colorado), have they "moved into" Illinois and can they bring their legally owned yet banned AWB and magazines and endorse them?

Fun.

An Illinois resident who purchased a firearm in a state other than their legal residence would not be able to take possession of it there. It has to be shipped to an Illinois FFL. I *think* the exception to that is a long gun purchased in a state that shares a border with Illinois, but a pistol definitely has to go back to a FFL in your home state.

On 1/11/2023 at 7:29 PM, guzzimike66 said:

I *think* the exception to that is a long gun purchased in a state that shares a border with Illinois, but a pistol definitely has to go back to a FFL in your home state.

I think you can buy a rifle or shotgun from an FFL (gun store) in another state if the other state allows you to. You may or may not have to abide by the 72 hour waiting period, depending on the state and FFL. I'm pretty sure Illinois have an agreement with border states to honor the Illinois laws for Illinoisans.

An FFL in Michigan offered me a great deal on an AR type rifle once. He thought it would be cool to get a liberal media guy to buy one. We were doing a story on the Michigan Militia not long after the Oklahoma City bombing. I wasn't interested at the time. I may be a little interested now, only because I can't buy one... it's just not my style.

If the FFL/State requires the buyer to follow Illinois rules, I can probably not buy any prohibited rifles.

Cheers,

Tim

We’re all worked up over the AWB, of course, but setting the 2nd aside who the heck would want to move here without being forced to by an employer or needing to take care of aging parents, etc. This place is an economic disaster, has crappy weather, a major city heading toward Detroitland and is full of stupid and/or ignorant people who have not only watched it get progressively worse year after year but voted for more of the same (present company excepted, of course).

Most of us are probably here because life has us stuck, for now at least. I’m stuck here because of my wife. She blew my chance to get out at a good time for our kids (a specific opportunity with one prior to entering middle school and the other high school) because of her mom, who had not attachments and an ability to move with us. Now, and with 4 years left until my youngest graduates high school she’s implying we wait here until her mom dies. Wifey is just fine and comfortable and pretty dammed selfish where my need are concerned.

No deary, you wait here as long as you want. I’ll be gone. I may even be gone a bit sooner.

Sorry about the rant. I’m actually very positive over the direction things are heading with the 2nd in general, even in Illinois. But SCOTUS could wave its magic wand and solve all our 2nd amendment problems tomorrow and that won’t change the property tax increases or Springfield waste or general lawlessness in Chicagostan.

On 1/11/2023 at 7:42 PM, soundguy said:

I think you can buy a rifle or shotgun from an FFL (gun store) in another state if the other state allows you to. You may or may not have to abide by the 72 hour waiting period, depending on the state and FFL. I'm pretty sure Illinois have an agreement with border states to honor the Illinois laws for Illinoisans.

An FFL in Michigan offered me a great deal on an AR type rifle once. He thought it would be cool to get a liberal media guy to buy one. We were doing a story on the Michigan Militia not long after the Oklahoma City bombing. I wasn't interested at the time. I may be a little interested now, only because I can't buy one... it's just not my style.

If the FFL/State requires the buyer to follow Illinois rules, I can probably not buy any prohibited rifles.

Cheers,

Tim

Federally long guns may be acquired in any state. Illinois law states that it must be a contigius state and the sale must comply with the laws of both states. No out of state assault weapon buys legally now.

On 1/11/2023 at 8:31 PM, evilbrownrifle said:

This place is an economic disaster, has crappy weather, a major city heading toward Detroitland

As a Chicagoan, I disagree with you on the three points highlighted...

-In Chicago my economy is pretty darned nice with lower costs than any other REAL city

-In Chicago we rarely get disaster weather, and today I did some yard work in short sleeves before I relaxed on the back patio with a couple beers while the chickens foraged around me

-Detroit is having one heck of an economic resurgence!

I'll be here forever.

May the magic wand of SCOTUS be waved over us all, and may all of your Ill-anoyances be solved to your satisfaction one day.

Cheers,

Tim

Not going to derail the thread too much, but as someone who lived in Chicago when it was more of a real city I can remember when there were events on the lakefront, like 4th fireworks and taste of Chicago that went away because the gangs took them over. I can remember only having to worry about some parts of the red line or blue line. When wildings were less common on the Miracle Mile. When regular street crime was fairly predictable by the block. Policing is dying, for very obvious reason.

Is Chicago better than other "real" cities like New York, San Francisco or Los Angles. Certainly. No piles of homeless waste and needles to step over and the cost of living is less as well but then you are comparing it to astronomical. Keep in mind though, we have a debt bomb looming. That is largely because the waste and grift has not been passed along to the taxpayer except through property taxes. I can't see that lasting forever. The bill always comes due.

Now if you like city living, I suggest Nashville, or even Knoxville in Tennessee, Indianapolis to some extent, a number of mid-tiered cities provide a very positive experience with a  lot of opportunity for food and entertainment, friendly people, reasonable culture, often great atmosphere and scenery , though lacking that cosmopolitan attitude. I'm a bit burned out on the cosmopolitan scene myself these days (and huge crowds of people in general), though I understand the appeal and I'm not quite ready for that remote cabin in the UP just yet.

On 1/11/2023 at 7:29 PM, guzzimike66 said:

An Illinois resident who purchased a firearm in a state other than their legal residence would not be able to take possession of it there. It has to be shipped to an Illinois FFL. I *think* the exception to that is a long gun purchased in a state that shares a border with Illinois, but a pistol definitely has to go back to a FFL in your home state.

This is absolutely true of an Illinois resident who is merely traveling out of Illinois, not to another abode.

However, under federal law regulating firearms purchases, one can be a resident of multiple states at different times throughout the year. See the ATF page https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-person-who-resides-one-state-and-owns-property-another-state-purchase-firearm-either and the Code of Federal Regulations 478.11 at https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/478.11

Those regulations define what "state of residence" means for the purpose of firearms transfers under federal law. The relevant section that defines "State of residence" states:

A maintains a home in State X and a home in State Y. A resides in State X except for weekends or the summer months of the year and in State Y for the weekends or the summer months of the year. During the time that A actually resides in State X, A is a resident of State X, and during the time that A actually resides in State Y, A is a resident of State Y.

Beyond that, of course, are the laws of your second residence state and what it requires for firearms sales.

Finally there's the Illinois FOID act and its bordering states language -- but that is operable in a state outside of Illinois due to CFR 478.96(c) regarding sales to "a nonlicensed resident of a State other than the State in which the licensee's place of business is located if" ... "The sale, delivery, and receipt of the rifle or shotgun fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States." -- however, as already established, a person under federal law can be a resident in the state where they have a summer/weekend home for the purpose of the federal laws regulating firearms transfers, and therefore would not be a "resident of a State other than the State in which the licensee's place of business is located" for that transaction and that section of federal law would not even apply.

I own a second home in another state, where I grew up, pay property taxes, and do not rent the property out. I've never tested the federal law regarding multiple state residency and firearms, but with this development in Illinois I'm definitely going to learn more about it.

As I wrote before, fun.

On 1/11/2023 at 9:03 PM, evilbrownrifle said:

Not going to derail the thread too much, but as someone who lived in Chicago when it was more of a real city I can remember when there were events on the lakefront, like 4th fireworks and taste of Chicago that went away because the gangs took them over. I can remember only having to worry about some parts of the red line or blue line. When wildings were less common on the Miracle Mile. When regular street crime was fairly predictable by the block. Policing is dying, for very obvious reason.

Many years ago (late 90s, early 00s maybe), the south end of Belmont harbor became quite dangerous at night. Giant crowds from "other parts" of Chicago would gather there in the parking lot and party. If you came in from a late night sail, you'd find your car surrounded by hundreds of people drinking and having a grand time. Not fun to extricate oneself from. That was "fixed" when the harbor was reconfigured.

For a time, this city turned pretty nice. Your chances of getting mugged if you went downtown on the weekend went way down. The river became a spot it was safe to walk along at night. As you said, you knew where it was safe and where not to go. The boundaries now are much less clear. I now live in a very Mayberry part of the city (where a lot of police live), and was shocked when I saw, around the corner from me, a car up on blocks without wheels in our idyllic residential neighborhood with wide streets, wide parkways, shady trees and oversized lots. Near daily reports of neighbors having their cars broken into and catalytic converters sawed off.  I used to scoff at family scared of the "big city." I scoff less now.

As for the lower costs of Chicago... get your property tax reassessment and new bill yet?

On 1/11/2023 at 9:40 PM, sailor said:

This is absolutely true of an Illinois resident who is merely traveling out of Illinois, not to another domicile.

However, under federal law regulating firearms purchases, one can be a resident of multiple states at different times throughout the year. See the ATF page https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-person-who-resides-one-state-and-owns-property-another-state-purchase-firearm-either and the Code of Federal Regulations 478.11 at https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/478.11

Those regulations define what "state of residence" means for the purpose of firearms transfers under federal law. The relevant section that defines "State of residence" states:

A maintains a home in State X and a home in State Y. A resides in State X except for weekends or the summer months of the year and in State Y for the weekends or the summer months of the year. During the time that A actually resides in State X, A is a resident of State X, and during the time that A actually resides in State Y, A is a resident of State Y.

Beyond that, of course, are the laws of your second residence state and what it requires for firearms sales.

Finally there's the Illinois FOID act and its bordering states language -- but that is operable in a state outside of Illinois due to CFR 478.96(c) regarding sales to "a nonlicensed resident of a State other than the State in which the licensee's place of business is located if" ... "The sale, delivery, and receipt of the rifle or shotgun fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States." -- however, as already established, a person under federal law can be a resident in the state where they have a summer/weekend home for the purpose of the federal laws regulating firearms transfers, and therefore would not be a "resident of a State other than the State in which the licensee's place of business is located" for that transaction and that section of federal law would not even apply.

I own a second home in another state, where I grew up, pay property taxes, and do not rent the property out. I've never tested the federal law regarding multiple state residency and firearms, but with this development in Illinois I'm definitely going to learn more about it.

As I wrote before, fun.

That's interesting. I didn't know you could be a multi state resident.

On 1/11/2023 at 9:57 PM, sailor said:

Many years ago (late 90s, early 00s maybe), the south end of Belmont harbor became quite dangerous at night. Giant crowds from "other parts" of Chicago would gather there in the parking lot and party. If you came in from a late night sail, you'd find your car surrounded by hundreds of people drinking and having a grand time. Not fun to extricate oneself from. That was "fixed" when the harbor was reconfigured.

For a time, this city turned pretty nice. Your chances of getting mugged if you went downtown on the weekend went way down. The river became a spot it was safe to walk along at night. As you said, you knew where it was safe and where not to go. The boundaries now are much less clear. I now live in a very Mayberry part of the city (where a lot of police live), and was shocked when I saw, around the corner from me, a car up on blocks without wheels in our idyllic residential neighborhood with wide streets, wide parkways, shady trees and oversized lots. Near daily reports of neighbors having their cars broken into and catalytic converters sawed off.  I used to scoff at family scared of the "big city." I scoff less now.

As for the lower costs of Chicago... get your property tax reassessment and new bill yet?

Taxes. Yes. A rather remarkable increase in the assessed value of my property. Now I did redo my kitchen floors... that no doubt is responsible for the 50% increase. Income tax wise IL is not horrible, comparable to Wisconsin actually. But that simply has to change at some point.

I have lived in Illinois most of my Life including Chicago area. I like Illinois. I married a girl from Iowa and we moved back to Illinois in 1986. She told her Family (and mine) "Iowan by Birth, Illini by Choice" and we love living here. Perfect it is not but I like it better than most surrounding States except for the recent madness.

But we can fix it I hope....I am currently looking at moving across the river to Iowa but it won't be because I want to.

On 1/11/2023 at 2:19 PM, sailor said:

There is an exception:

(d).

Fun.

Problem is, can't file an endorsement, without a FOID ID.  FOID cards can take 60 days.

Now if you like city living, I suggest...

Chicago has them all beat, as far as I can see.

I have visited all you mentioned and many, many more.

Life here is very good, though there are things that need fixing...

Number one is this new gun ban.

Cheers!

Tim

On 1/12/2023 at 9:05 AM, cybermgk said:

Problem is, can't file an endorsement, without a FOID ID.  FOID cards can take 60 days.

The law states (restructured):

within 60 days

1) apply for a Firearm Owners Identification Card

2) complete an endorsement application

If the state makes (2) impossible "within 60 days" because you need to be issued the FOID in (1) to "complete" the application, then that's going to wind up in court. The intent clearly is to provide a path for those who "move to" Illinois to comply with the law, and the ISP when making the regulations needs to implement that intent.

On 1/12/2023 at 10:59 AM, sailor said:

The law states (restructured):

within 60 days

1) apply for a Firearm Owners Identification Card

2) complete an endorsement application

If the state makes (2) impossible "within 60 days" because you need to be issued the FOID in (1) to "complete" the application, then that's going to wind up in court. The intent clearly is to provide a path for those who "move to" Illinois to comply with the law, and the ISP when making the regulations needs to implement that intent.

Well kind of my point.  Yet another little POS in the offal that is this law.

Is Chicago better than other "real" cities like New York, San Francisco or Los Angles. Certainly. No piles of homeless waste and needles to step over and the cost of living is less as well but then you are comparing it to astronomical. Keep in mind though, we have a debt bomb looming. That is largely because the waste and grift has not been passed along to the taxpayer except through property taxes. I can't see that lasting forever. The bill always comes due.

Now if you like city living, I suggest Nashville, or even Knoxville in Tennessee, Indianapolis to some extent, a number of mid-tiered cities provide a very positive experience with a  lot of opportunity for food and entertainment, friendly people, reasonable culture, often great atmosphere and scenery , though lacking that cosmopolitan attitude. I'm a bit burned out on the cosmopolitan scene myself these days (and huge crowds of people in general), though I understand the appeal and I'm not quite ready for that remote cabin in the UP just yet.

We visited New York in 2019 and really enjoyed it.  I could see living down there if that was our thing.  All the subways we visited felt safe as well.  I can't say the same about the L.  The piles of trash on the sidewalks in the morning was a little bit of a culture shock, but they had it all gone before long every day.

Nashville used to be so fun before it got overcrowded.  We stopped visiting for a couple years because it was constantly elbow to elbow and the bums and beggars were getting bad.  We went back last week for a couple days and was pleasantly surprised to see that they are expanding a bit to allow more places for people to go and alleviate congestion.   As the city grows there (I counted more tower cranes than Chicago, at least 30), the beggars and bums will only continue to get worse.

We are going to Fan Francisco in June for some national forest visits.  Already preparing myself for how bad it's going to be.  The hotel reviews all over CA were littered with negative reviews of crime and bums breaking into cars.  Lovely. 

On 1/11/2023 at 7:31 PM, evilbrownrifle said:

This place is an economic disaster, has crappy weather, a major city heading toward Detroitland

I used to live in Chicago.   Lived there most of my life. 

The people there tend to be hard working decent people.   Yeah, there are LWW's but they're very loud and can be spotted from a distance to avoid dealing with them.

I loved living in Chicago when I was there.    Great food.  Great places to go.   Fun things to do.    I had my friends and family and things were good.

Outside of that....I HATED the government, the bad laws and corruption.       I HATED the job market in my field - no FTE jobs in what I do for a living, only contracts.  I was rarely able to get a FTE job (only to get laid off later because that's how the economy is)   There was nothing I could do about either of those.

Having said that, I'm not moving back to Chicago.   I got too much good stuff going on here where I live, and Chicago doesn't offer that.   I have great food, great places to go and fun things to do here too. 

If we got rid of the corruption, got good politicians in office, and a better job market - Chicago would be a great place to live.

On 1/12/2023 at 11:47 AM, BobPistol said:

f we got rid of the corruption, got good politicians in office, and a better job market - Chicago would be a great place to live.

But we won’t get rid of the corruption.  People keep voting in the same type of leadership and wonder why it is getting worse… they don’t want to face the reality of their unchecked leadership and policies or be responsible for their election decisions.  Some of them are the same people who told us time and time again that we were overreacting/paranoid  and that their party wasn’t REALLY going to come after our guns… it was just talk.  What was inevitable from a party that has gun control in its platform has come true.  

After this current gun control hissy fit is done, there will be a push for another area of control and so on and so on.  Some of it is the mindset of a party that prefers control, some of it must occur to feed the beast that has been created in a grossly oversized political machine full of corruption and graft.  The corruption won’t end because people keep voting for it.

Archived