Plain language summary

FLMOPE

Large Capacity Magazines Ban (LCM)

o Immediately bans the manufacture, delivery, sale, or purchase of large capacity magazines.

▪ More than 10 round magazine for long guns

▪ More than 15 round magazine for handguns

o 90-days after effective date, possession is prohibited unless the person possessed the device prior to the effective date. Possession is only allowed on private property, on the premises of a FFL for repair, while on a firing range or sport shooting competition venue, or while traveling to or from such locations. 

How do I prove that I possessed the magazines prior to the effective date?

For example, I bought a pack of 10 PMags years ago when they were on sale. I didn't keep the dated receipt. Why should I? I probably have a bank record of the transaction, but I don't remember what year I bought them, let alone who I bought them from.

How do I prove they were mine all along, and not recently (illegally) purchased?

On 1/11/2023 at 11:32 AM, BikerNut said:

How do I prove that I possessed the magazines prior to the effective date?

For example, I bought a pack of 10 PMags years ago when they were on sale. I didn't keep the dated receipt. Why should I? I probably have a bank record of the transaction, but I don't remember what year I bought them, let alone who I bought them from.

How do I prove they were mine all along, and not recently (illegally) purchased?

You prove it by owning them. You can't buy them today. 

On 1/11/2023 at 11:10 AM, solareclipse2 said:

The P365 X Macro doesn't have 15 round magazines. The X Macro was designed for 17 round magazines. I could buy a regular XL grip frame and the 15 round magazines for that grip frame but to be honest I don't want to. I also know about MagBlocks, I was at their website this morning. I know they make blocks for my magazines. I wasn't saying there aren't options, I'm literally just saying I don't know which option to exercise.

I'm frugal. I might do the MagBlock thing and see how it works at the range. I might even wait to permanently install them until we see what's gonna happen. A couple or three would take care of my needs...

When they come up with a 15 round magazine for your pistol, I'd probably get a couple for carry, more magazines is always better even if they hold fewer rounds. I even use my old 10 rounders at the range because I can load them all up at home.

MecGar recently came out with a 17 round magazine for my High Powers! I kinda wanted to get one... but it makes the pistol taller and it wouldn't be very practical for carry, at least not for me. Having a taller pistol at the range doesn't make sense for practice either.

Hang in there...

Cheers,

Tim

On 1/11/2023 at 11:10 AM, solareclipse2 said:

The P365 X Macro doesn't have 15 round magazines. The X Macro was designed for 17 round magazines.

Here is a video offering two more options for you... Mag Blocks is still less expensive.

How to Make 15 Round Magazines Work with the Sig P365 Macro

There are "options" for all of us.

After all, this is still America, where anything is possible.

Cheers,

Tim

Here is my plain language review of the Illinois AWB: https://www.alphakoncepts.com/blog/illinois-assault-weapon-ban-explained/

Bans many semi auto hand guns, nearly all semi auto rifles, 50 bmg ammunition, centerfire 50 cal rifles, extends red flag laws, quickens universal background checks, etc...

On 1/11/2023 at 11:59 AM, soundguy said:

This is my stupid question, for today anyway...

Does the new state law supersede local law?

More specifically, are Cook County and Highland park magazine capacity limits for pistols still valid?

... pretty sure what the answer is.

Cheers,

Tim

The AWB made no changes to preemption nor home rule.

For those claiming you can get 10 round mags for certain 9mm full sized pistols, my question is, WHY?  Let's say you can get one for a 2011.  Ok, so what good is the double stack pistol you paid way more for specifically for that feature, that weighs more, is larger, etc., only to get gimped to the cheaper and more available single stack standard?  Why would I carry or own a CZ75 with a 10 round mag?  Why would I carry or own a 2011 with a 10 round mag?  The purpose for which the gun was purchased is now rendered moot, and it is basically worthless to you.  It's a de facto taking.  Gee, carry a Sig P365X with 12 rounds, or a CZ 75B at more than twice the weight and size and only 10 rounds?  See the point?

On 1/11/2023 at 1:02 PM, 2A4Cook said:

The purpose for which the gun was purchased is now rendered moot, and it is basically worthless to you.  It's a de facto taking.  Gee, carry a Sig P365X with 12 rounds, or a CZ 75B at more than twice the weight and size and only 10 rounds?  See the point?

On the one hand, the majority of this law needs to be declared unconstitutional and void. However, if this law resulted in a circuit, or even national, ruling that such a capacity restriction is a regulatory taking subject to just (market value) compensation... whoa. That would be a catastrophic loss for the left of immeasurable impact beyond the Second Amendment. I think (most) everyone conceptually agrees that a public good should not place the burden on a disfavored few, but that's not how we actually run this country. One can dream.

For those claiming you can get 10 round mags for certain 9mm full sized pistols, my question is, WHY?  Let's say you can get one for a 2011.  Ok, so what good is the double stack pistol you paid way more for specifically for that feature, that weighs more, is larger, etc., only to get gimped to the cheaper and more available single stack standard?  Why would I carry or own a CZ75 with a 10 round mag?  Why would I carry or own a 2011 with a 10 round mag?  The purpose for which the gun was purchased is now rendered moot, and it is basically worthless to you.  It's a de facto taking.  Gee, carry a Sig P365X with 12 rounds, or a CZ 75B at more than twice the weight and size and only 10 rounds?  See the point?

Well the law is 15 rounds not 10 now. Yes it sucks and is unconstitutional. However, I’d still rather have a Staccato with 15, or even 10 than a comparable 1911 with 10. Then shoot flatter and weight the same as a railed commander sized 9mm 1911, plus, mine came red dot ready. Every 1911 I;ve seen of similar or better quality that comes ready for a red dot is more than my 2011 was. Not to mention the prodigies, which are considerably cheaper. I bought it for more reasons than just capacity, 9mm 1911s can be a crap shoot. Full sized guns tend to be easier to shoot quickly. I love my P365 but it’s nothing like shooting a well tuned 2011 or CZ. heck my 365 has extended 15 round mags, I didn’t buy a 2011 just for the capacity.

You can get 15 round mags for a 2011 9mm, straight from Staccato (Ijust ordered 6 of them painfully). I imagine you can find 15 round mags for most popular platforms, or you can perm install a mag block (I just ordered a bunch of those too, to test reliability). I do feel as if I have had my mags taken, since I had to replace them, to carry the gun everywhere I want, so I agree with that point. I’m out over $700 just today and I’m not halfway to having a few compliant mags for all my guns. I doubtn(‘lol ever spend the money to have the same number of compliant rifle mags as grandfathered.

if this isn’t overturned realatively quickly, I’ll be moving to MO. It’s only 30 minutes away. I’m probably going to store some things there anyway.

On 1/11/2023 at 2:52 PM, excatm76 said:

Well the law is 15 rounds not 10 now. Yes it sucks and is unconstitutional. However, I’d still rather have a Staccato with 15, or even 10 than a comparable 1911 with 10. Then shoot flatter and weight the same as a railed commander sized 9mm 1911, plus, mine came red dot ready. Every 1911 I;ve seen of similar or better quality that comes ready for a red dot is more than my 2011 was. Not to mention the prodigies, which are considerably cheaper. I bought it for more reasons than just capacity, 9mm 1911s can be a crap shoot. Full sized guns tend to be easier to shoot quickly. I love my P365 but it’s nothing like shooting a well tuned 2011 or CZ. heck my 365 has extended 15 round mags, I didn’t buy a 2011 just for the capacity.

You can get 15 round mags for a 2011 9mm, straight from Staccato (Ijust ordered 6 of them painfully). I imagine you can find 15 round mags for most popular platforms, or you can perm install a mag block (I just ordered a bunch of those too, to test reliability). I do feel as if I have had my mags taken, since I had to replace them, to carry the gun everywhere I want, so I agree with that point. I’m out over $700 just today and I’m not halfway to having a few compliant mags for all my guns. I doubtn(‘lol ever spend the money to have the same number of compliant rifle mags as grandfathered.

if this isn’t overturned realatively quickly, I’ll be moving to MO. It’s only 30 minutes away. I’m probably going to store some things there anyway.

They make 10, 16, 17, 18 and 26 for the CZ 75 B.  Nothing between 10 and 16.  I carried one for years, and there's no way I'd do so for a 10 round return.  I wouldn't see any reason to own or keep one with a gimped 10 round mag, either, since I could just use a 1911 at the same weight or lighter and pop in a WC ten round mag of 45acp's.  You're lucky to be so close to Missouri.  I lived in Wayne and Butler counties there in the 70's.  I wish I could just go back there, but not really an option.  I'm giving serious consideration to AZ, but I have reservations as idiots who fled CA because the Dems destroyed it brought their voting stupidity to AZ with them, and have already turned the state purple.

On 1/11/2023 at 3:38 PM, 2A4Cook said:

They make 10, 16, 17, 18 and 26 for the CZ 75 B.  Nothing between 10 and 16.  I carried one for years, and there's no way I'd do so for a 10 round return.  I wouldn't see any reason to own or keep one with a gimped 10 round mag, either, since I could just use a 1911 at the same weight or lighter and pop in a WC ten round mag of 45acp's.  You're lucky to be so close to Missouri.  I lived in Wayne and Butler counties there in the 70's.  I wish I could just go back there, but not really an option.  I'm giving serious consideration to AZ, but I have reservations as idiots who fled CA because the Dems destroyed it brought their voting stupidity to AZ with them, and have already turned the state purple.

I kind of have your mindset. I just can't see myself putting a 10rd mag in my Glock 17, EVER...

On 1/11/2023 at 12:57 PM, AlphaKoncepts aka CGS said:

Here is my plain language review of the Illinois AWB: https://www.alphakoncepts.com/blog/illinois-assault-weapon-ban-explained/

Bans many semi auto hand guns, nearly all semi auto rifles, 50 bmg ammunition, centerfire 50 cal rifles, extends red flag laws, quickens universal background checks, etc...

I disagree with your conclusion that semi-auto pistols are banned or need to be registered. From the bill:

This is the pistol that is considered an assault weapon, not all semi-automatic pistols have these banned features:
(C) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to
accept a detachable magazine or that may be readily
modified to accept a detachable magazine, if the firearm
has one or more of the following:
(i) a threaded barrel;
(ii) a second pistol grip or another feature
capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can
be held by the non-trigger hand;
(iii) a shroud attached to the barrel or that
partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing
the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger
hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that
encloses the barrel;
(iv) a flash suppressor;
(v) the capacity to accept a detachable magazine
at some location outside of the pistol grip

On 1/11/2023 at 5:23 PM, mousegun6 said:

I disagree with your conclusion that semi-auto pistols are banned or need to be registered. From the bill:

This is the pistol that is considered an assault weapon, not all semi-automatic pistols have these banned features:
(C) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to
accept a detachable magazine or that may be readily
modified to accept a detachable magazine, if the firearm
has one or more of the following:
(i) a threaded barrel;
(ii) a second pistol grip or another feature
capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can
be held by the non-trigger hand;
(iii) a shroud attached to the barrel or that
partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing
the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger
hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that
encloses the barrel;
(iv) a flash suppressor;
(v) the capacity to accept a detachable magazine
at some location outside of the pistol grip

That threaded barrel gets a good number of them, even the Ruger Mark IV (0.22 caliber). How many cops know the difference between a flash suppressor and a compensator? 

On 1/11/2023 at 7:01 PM, davel501 said:

That threaded barrel gets a good number of them, even the Ruger Mark IV (0.22 caliber). How many cops know the difference between a flash suppressor and a compensator? 

I have a Taurus TX 22. It has a threaded barrel and 16 rd mags. By their standards I now own a .22 assault pistol. :[

On 1/12/2023 at 5:58 AM, GarandCollector said:

Are M1 carbines now banned in Illinois?  What about an SKS?  Can I as a Georgia resident bring my M1 Carbine to an Illinois rifle range? 

I know other people have addressed the SKS in some other threads. As for bringing anything that is banned when you're an out of state resident, they carved out a 24 hour period for out state residents that are bringing banned items through Illinois. It remains to be seen if that time period also applies for out of state residents coming in specifically for shooting an item banned in Illinois or if it's only for people passing through the state. Probably a great question to ask the bill's sponsors.  

On 1/12/2023 at 5:58 AM, GarandCollector said:

Are M1 carbines now banned in Illinois?  What about an SKS?  Can I as a Georgia resident bring my M1 Carbine to an Illinois rifle range? 

Time will tell. The part of the law that refers to any barrel shroud that partially or completely encircles the barrel and keeps the hand from getting burned, could be interpreted to mean any forearm or any stock. They all partially encircle the barrel. They could also just be talking about a top handguard, which throws out the SKS, M1 Garand, Mini 14, M1 carbine and a slew of others.

ETA: I think a plain 10/22 may be considered an assault weapon, based on the current language.

On 1/12/2023 at 7:56 AM, excatm76 said:

Time will tell. The part of the law that refers to any barrel shroud that partially or completely encircles the barrel and keeps the hand from getting burned, could be interpreted to mean any forearm or any stock. They all partially encircle the barrel. They could also just be talking about a top handguard, which throws out the SKS, M1 Garand, Mini 14, M1 carbine and a slew of others.

ETA: I think a plain 10/22 may be considered an assault weapon, based on the current language.

For those rifles, where it is actually just the stock (mini 14, and yes a 10/22 with the wood stock) that extends to the barrel, aka most rifles, they will have a hard time abusing this part's vague language.  It's a stock.  Remove the top cover from an SKS, and it just has the stock as well.  Granted that could mean still being fined, and winning in court (assuming suits don't stop this POS),  It depends on the further clarification the ISP is supposed to give.  I would not be surprised if they came out with some kind of list of okay, not okay.  I also think this clause helps destroy this POS in court.

The types I see as more who knows, are rifles like the original Ruger PC carbine, or the breakdown 10/22.  If they didn't break down, the forend would be part of the stock, a continuation of same.  BUT, because they do break down,,,,,,,

images.jpg.7fda3095627f3264346c27f0b75965a5.jpgG0221-Defense-Rifle-2.jpg.437fc20c090aa0eea497606ae19e7005.jpgruger-pistol-caliber-carbine-review.thumb.jpg.7c7334c76ef4b927b1a140ef357e524a.jpg

Exactly. Why would you spend money partially disabling a firearm you already spent hard earned money for. Complying is not the answer to the problem at hand.

On 1/11/2023 at 8:39 PM, FLMOPE said:

Looking to see if Armored car companies are on the exempt list.

If you have a FCC yes. I don't think these idiots know what a proprietary police force is. One has to ask if you are allowed to operate because of the private detective/security/alarm/locksmith act. I think the answer is yes. 

(6) Any company that employs armed security officers in this State at a nuclear energy, storage, weapons, or development site or facility regulated by the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission and any person employed as an armed security force member at a nuclear energy, storage, weapons, or development site or facility regulated by the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission who has completed the background screening and training mandated by the rules and regulations of the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission and while performing official duties. (7) Any private security contractor agency licensed under the Private Detective, Private Alarm, Private Security, Fingerprint Vendor, and Locksmith Act of 2004 that employs private security contractors and any private security contractor who is licensed and has been issued a firearm control card under the Private Detective, Private Alarm, Private Security, Fingerprint Vendor, and Locksmith Act of 2004 while performing official duties.

On 1/12/2023 at 11:27 AM, StevieJ309 said:

I apologize if this has already been asked and answered, but is there a provision in this new law dealing with ammo in any way?

50 BMG only. 

On 1/12/2023 at 7:07 AM, chiart said:

I know other people have addressed the SKS in some other threads. As for bringing anything that is banned when you're an out of state resident, they carved out a 24 hour period for out state residents that are bringing banned items through Illinois. It remains to be seen if that time period also applies for out of state residents coming in specifically for shooting an item banned in Illinois or if it's only for people passing through the state. Probably a great question to ask the bill's sponsors.  

My interpretation is that it's only for those passing through. The law says the firearm must be legal where you are coming from, and at your destination (which mirrors the concept in federal transport laws) but if I am going to a range in IL then my firearm is *not* legal at my destination because IL just banned them.

Archived