Nullification begins

steveTA84

On 1/15/2023 at 6:26 AM, Ranger said:

Good job on not having location data on your picture. Lot of people use their phones for cameras and don't know to disable location data before taking pictures (allowing bad guys to know where to find whatever they posted).

Hmmmm... I never considered that.  Who'd a thunk?

On 1/13/2023 at 5:49 PM, mousegun6 said:

Thanks for posting the Twitter link. Funny stuff. Our attorney general did not say who was going to do the emperor's bidding if the Sheriffs refuse to enforce the law, maybe because he's bluffing. 1200 ISP troopers trying to enforce a law against the interests of 2.4 million people is not a winning hand. I would suggest that at least half of those officers would like to see this law overturned and will be happy to just go home and see their wife and kids at the end of their shift. JB has never worked a day in his life and they know it. Will they really back up our chubby governor and defy their oath to uphold the constitution? I don't think so. The governor and attorney general are very surprised at the backlash to their attempt to deny the citizens of this state their 2nd Amendment rights. They got so used to compliance with the never ending Covid proclamations that they thought they could move on and continue their reign of terror against the citizens. They are finding that they pushed too far and miscalculated the strength of the people, who, if they work together, can stop the rule of a tyrant. Let's stay together and stay peaceable and send JB a loud and clear message that we are done with his petty tyrant ways. He is elected to serve us. He works for us. I suggest we mount a bid to impeach him. He deserves it.

I think every police officer would do what they are told regardless of the constitution.  Why?  That government pension.  

On 1/15/2023 at 8:37 PM, Dumak_from_arfcom said:

I think every police officer would do what they are told regardless of the constitution.  Why?  That government pension.  

Those police unions are a strong thing, especially in Illinois. Cops might get fired but soon enough they're back with back pay like they never left.

On 1/15/2023 at 8:50 PM, davel501 said:

Those police unions are a strong thing, especially in Illinois. Cops might get fired but soon enough they're back with back pay like they never left.

Covid taught us different.  Cops will arrest a little girl playing by herself on a swing set.  If cops are willing to do that, the dude with an unregistered AR lower in his basement has no chance.

On 1/16/2023 at 1:15 AM, Dumak_from_arfcom said:

Covid taught us different.  Cops will arrest a little girl playing by herself on a swing set.  If cops are willing to do that, the dude with an unregistered AR lower in his basement has no chance.

Covid was different and a pandemic supposedly and about life and death and uncharted territory. This is about a Constitutional right and illegal law and for items that were purchased legally and previously approved by the state of Illinois and wrong on so many levels but they have discretion and swore an oath.

On 1/16/2023 at 2:17 AM, 357 said:

This is about a Constitutional right and illegal law and for items that were purchased legally and previously approved by the state of Illinois and wrong on so many levels but they have discretion and swore an oath.

We all know that.  They might even know that.  The simple truth is that even if they do know it, most don't care.  Police departments wouldn't hire you or me.  They specifically weed out those that want to think for themselves.  They specifically refuse to hire those that score too well on their tests.  They want controllable officers.  Officers that will do as they are told.

There's always that one guy that has to play super cop. The question is how many other cops will come to his aid when he gets himself in a bad situation. I don't envy them for having to make that choice. 

No, but it depends on the individual.  "Discretion" is tougher in the era of body and dash cameras, but if you have a question about how yours will respond in your area - ASK one - and don't rely on what chiefs and higher ups regurgitate.

On 1/15/2023 at 5:26 PM, powderhead said:

Hmmmm... I never considered that.  Who'd a thunk?

You'd be surprised at how easy it is to find out a whole lot about someone unless they are very careful.  What is posted online is likely saved forever somewhere.  It also also easily searchable with the right tools across lots of platforms.  Is your username here the same as on other forums?  Are your passwords the same or similar?  Do your posts have information that you'd really prefer not be easily accessible to everyone?  Many times, I've typed out a long detailed post on some forum and then deleted it all before posting.  It's a different world.

I think the legislation will ultimately be nullified in multiple ways.  I think the majority of sheriffs and states attorneys will not actively enforce it.  I think the majority of those who have items that may be covered by the legislation will not comply.  I think jurors in most counties would find a defendant charged solely with violating this law will not vote to convict.  Ultimately, I think the courts will strike it down as unconstitutional.  All that said, there is a risk none of that will happen.

I don't know how many police officers you know well but both of my BIL's are cops/were cops - one gave his Life in the line of Duty. My FIL was a cop and I have a bother who is a Cop. I have spent a lot of time with them over the decades and a lot of their friends....trained MA with a Sherriff in Illinois and trained with his people for over a decade.

You are painting all peace officers with a very, very wide brush of a bad color.

I've only known one ISP officer and he was a good man. I have many friends who are active or retired LEOs. I think the governor has overplayed his hand and will not get the support of many police officers to enforce this law. The Sheriffs have already spoken and they pretty much told JB to stuff it.

I had a friend, now passed, that was a city cop until retirement and then went to work for the county and was the chief deputy. He respected and worked with cops his whole life but the advice he gave to his wife, if she was ever questioned by an officer, was to smile and give her name and address and to say nothing else. Don't answer any questions, just keep saying your name and address until you have an attorney present. I think that was good advice and it actually makes it easier for the officer to ignore something if you don't admit to it. Name and address, otherwise, I know nothing.

On 1/17/2023 at 11:21 AM, steveTA84 said:

Ironic, since they tend to ignore the sparks of nullification of unjust laws within their own borders:

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/two-more-provinces-join-in-opposition-to-buyback-program-that-unnecessarily-targets-lawful-gun-owners

Archived