Nullification begins

steveTA84

On 1/13/2023 at 7:53 AM, Ranger said:

Do we know for absolute certain that an Illinois Governor cannot remove a Sheriff or States Attorney?

Pretty sure Florida Governor Ron DeSantis removed a bad egg down there.  Just want to ensure Governor can't remove good ones in Illinois.

First Desantis suspended a States Attorney, an Appointee.

2nd Powers differ for Governors.

3rd Given Pritzker being who he is. if he could. don't you think he would have, to 'send a signal'?

https://ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=005500050HDiv.+3-6&ActID=750&ChapterID=12&SeqStart=29400000&SeqEnd=33700000

The above is a link to Illinois Code about Sheriffs. (I'm not a lawyer)

Reading it quickly, it looks like if the court gives the sheriff an order and he fails to comply, then he/she can be charged with contempt of court. 

Otherwise any other violations in that section is considered a petty offense, which would not mean removal from office.

(55 ILCS 5/3-6034) (from Ch. 34, par. 3-6034)
    Sec. 3-6034. Violations. Any sheriff or public officer violating the provision of Section 3-6033 shall be deemed guilty of a petty offense.
(Source: P.A. 86-962.)

On 1/13/2023 at 8:48 AM, Jeffrey said:

Even if he had the ability to fire them, I'd like to believe the deputy chief would have similar attitudes.  Fatboy gonna need to call the NG for help.. 

I agree the NG is an option for Chicago to enforce downstate compliance/subversion of “misplaced” tenet. Another avenue using Reuters Fact Check Team doctrine (utter nazi ploy) is to pressure local Leo’s to resign thus guaranteeing Chicago has the right people in place to enforce tenet. Interesting how far downstate is willing to pushback on this clearly anti-constitutional act that was not carefully framed. They should have returned to Roe vs Wade as a learning tool but they seem at this time to be seeking more than incrementalism style approach to change.

On 1/13/2023 at 8:27 AM, bmyers said:

https://ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=005500050HDiv.+3-6&ActID=750&ChapterID=12&SeqStart=29400000&SeqEnd=33700000

The above is a link to Illinois Code about Sheriffs. (I'm not a lawyer)

Reading it quickly, it looks like if the court gives the sheriff an order and he fails to comply, then he/she can be charged with contempt of court. 

Otherwise any other violations in that section is considered a petty offense, which would not mean removal from office.

(55 ILCS 5/3-6034) (from Ch. 34, par. 3-6034)
    Sec. 3-6034. Violations. Any sheriff or public officer violating the provision of Section 3-6033 shall be deemed guilty of a petty offense.
(Source: P.A. 86-962.)

If fat man goes this route, this is gonna cause more problems than he bargained for

The sheriffs haven’t done anything yet. JaBa is reacting to political opposition. He just doesn’t like what they said publicly. To find a reason to go after a sheriff will be difficult. There must be evidence they committed some form of willful malfeasance in office, some form of official misconduct.

But, supposed a sheriff was deposed by the Governor. What might happen then? Who will  police the county? Who will be in charge?  ISP has limited resources. They can’t seem to enforce speeding on the interstate let alone a county. What deputy would cooperate? Or, would JaBa use the National Guard? What problems might that might cause? The mind boggles at how military enforcement of civil law could be portrayed. 

On 1/13/2023 at 9:16 AM, Felixd said:

The sheriffs haven’t done anything yet. JaBa is reacting to political opposition. He just doesn’t like what they said publicly. To find a reason to go after a sheriff will be difficult. There must be evidence they committed some form of willful malfeasance in office, some form of official misconduct.

But, supposed a sheriff was deposed by the Governor. What might happen then? Who will  police the county? Who will be in charge?  ISP has limited resources. They can’t seem to enforce speeding on the interstate let alone a county. What deputy would cooperate? Or, would JaBa use the National Guard? What problems might that might cause? The mind boggles at how military enforcement of civil law could be portrayed. 

He is quite the Tyrant....Nothing would surprise me.

On 1/13/2023 at 9:16 AM, Felixd said:

How many platoons of ISP will they have to send to make that showdown happen?????

On 1/13/2023 at 9:31 AM, yurimodin said:

How many platoons of ISP will they have to send to make that showdown happen?????

They're so depleted in personnel they are detailing road troops from across the state to staff Chicago expressways. There are probably 1,000 or so statewide. A lot of those would be north of I-80. That leaves less than 10 per county of all ranks - on average - for @100 counties, 24/7/365.

On 1/13/2023 at 9:45 AM, speedbump said:

They're so depleted in personnel they are detailing road troops from across the state to staff Chicago expressways. There are probably 1,000 or so statewide. A lot of those would be north of I-80. That leaves less than 10 per county of all ranks - on average - for @100 counties, 24/7/365.

"May the odds be ever in your favor"

The sherrifs could call for a posse and arrest any state police or other felons who were breaking the law. The law would be, deprivation of rights under color of law. If the Pigster was found to have ordered that felony then he could be arrested by posse in whatever county he is directing the conspiracy.  This could also be done to any rogue extremist local police departments who try to enforce this illegal action. They could all be placed under arrest by the posse. This is established law and there is nothing radical about it. One would hope the felon LEOs would be cooperative because if they attempted to use violence, every posse member has the right ro return home to their family and posse safety always comes over corrupt law enforcement safety. 

I have been on night shift for the last 3 to 3.5 years. The city I work for isn’t insignificant, but also is not the biggest. We are under 8 miles from I57. In that time I have seen 3 ISP Troopers. One of those 3 lives in my city, one was requested at a traffic fatality, and the other finished an accident on the highway and needed something to drink. I know they are busy just elsewhere. We are all busy. The number of suicidal calls, psychological calls, domestic violence calls,  Heroin and meth, and others is staggering. No one has time for what we had to deal with prior to this law’s passing. 
I can’t publish it and I don’t want to publicize where I work, but we received a department wide email yesterday in line with the Sheriffs letters we have all been seeing. Strongly worded no confusion in the message. 

On 1/13/2023 at 10:13 AM, CPD#127 said:

I have been on night shift for the last 3 to 3.5 years. The city I work for isn’t small, but also isn’t insignificant. Plus we are under 8 miles from I57. In that time I have seen 3 ISP Troopers. One of those 3 lives in my city, one was requested at a traffic fatality, and the other finished an accident on the highway and needed something to drink. I know they are busy just elsewhere. We are all busy. The number of suicidal calls, psychological calls, domestic violence calls,  Heroin and meth, and others is staggering. No one has time for what we had to deal with prior to this law’s passing. 
I can’t publish it and I don’t want to publicize where I work, but we received a department wide email yesterday in line with the Sheriffs letters we have all been seeing. Strongly worded no confusion in the message. 

Thank you and be careful..

Effingham county sheriff:

(SHERIFF PAUL KUHNS)

http://www.thexradio.com/news/images/stories/NewsThumbs/paul%20kuhns%205%2027%2021-150.jpg

Sheriff Kuhns released a similar statement Friday morning. It is as follows:

"I generally refrain from making public statements expressing and explaining policy decisions. I have had so many calls from people wanting to know how my Office will react to HB 5471 that I feel I need to respond. This message is for all of the citizens of Effingham County who pay their taxes, go to work, raise their children, support their communities and usually never have negative contact with their police.

When I first read HB 5471, I was shocked by how many commonly used firearms were on the ban list. This law would, in short order, make criminals out of hundreds of otherwise law-abiding Effingham County Citizens. In my opinion, I cannot believe that HB 5471 can exist in conjunction with our Second Amendment, especially when we consider recent Supreme Court decisions that uphold a citizen’s right to possess and use weapons that, “are in common use at the time”. Using this example alone, it is my opinion that HB5471 will be quickly challenged in the Courts.

For this reason, until further direction from our courts, the Effingham County Sheriff’s Office will not expend the resources of Effingham County to ensure law-abiding gun owners are registering their firearms with the State, or arresting, otherwise law-abiding individuals, solely for their noncompliance with HB5471.

That being said, this office will take any steps legally available to us to stop those who would bring violence to our communities and harm our citizens with a firearm, or any other means.

I am troubled by the division and violence that is taking place today in our country. I take this Office and my oath seriously. The Staff of the Effingham County Sheriff’s Office will continue to do everything in their power to protect our community and, as I swore on December 1st, 'I will faithfully discharge the duties of the office of Effingham County Sheriff to the best of my abilities, so help me God'".

On 1/13/2023 at 10:13 AM, CPD#127 said:

I have been on night shift for the last 3 to 3.5 years. The city I work for isn’t insignificant, but also is not the biggest. We are under 8 miles from I57. In that time I have seen 3 ISP Troopers. One of those 3 lives in my city, one was requested at a traffic fatality, and the other finished an accident on the highway and needed something to drink. I know they are busy just elsewhere. We are all busy. The number of suicidal calls, psychological calls, domestic violence calls,  Heroin and meth, and others is staggering. No one has time for what we had to deal with prior to this law’s passing. 

Stay the Course.  It matters.  Now more than ever.

Correction on my earlier post:  after checking, there are roughly 1,200 uniformed sworn in the ISP currently.

On 1/13/2023 at 10:25 AM, mauserme said:

The County Sheriff is a constitutional office in Illinois.  I doubt that a statute allowing for removal of a constitutionally elected Sheriff would survive a court challenge.

Same for States Attorneys. They are part of the Judicial Branch. 

This united response from the Sheriffs of this state is incredible and breathtaking to watch. JB has to be sitting eating his donuts and wondering how he can put the genie back in the bottle. The people elect the Sheriffs to enforce the constitution and the law. If a law obviously violates the constitution, as this one does, the Sheriffs have a choice, choose to uphold the constitution or uphold the law. In this case, the Sheriffs have chosen the constitution and I want to thank them on behalf of every good citizen of this state. They have the courage to stand up to our  tyrant governor.

Let's demand that the police and district attorneys in this state start arresting, jailing, and prosecuting the people who commit crimes of violence in this state. Bring back the death penalty. If you want to drive around Chicago and spray the streets with bullets then you will face the ultimate penalty for your crime. The sponsors of this bill talk about accountability and that's why these guns need to be registered. Let's start holding the criminals accountable for their use of firearms, not go after the good people who own them for their own protection.

On 1/13/2023 at 10:19 AM, THE KING said:

After seeing the updated map, there sits my county (Will) all alone and still white with no response from the sheriff. Unfortunately he's a Democrat that stayed in office after ballot harvesting.  🤬🤬🤬

And I don't see  him  taking a stance against this unconstitutional law either. 

Lets work on it together then. I am also in Will and about to write a nice 'I am an american and I live in ..' email. I am also a first generation immigrant that from came from state that believed in 'reasonable gun control' (called USSR) that also did a number of things to its citizens. I strongly support US Constitution that I swear an oath to at my citizenship ceremony and want to hear from my county officials (including Sheriff) that they oppose and would not enforce clearly illegal, immoral, and wrong laws directly contradicting Constitution.. 

On 1/13/2023 at 10:52 AM, EngChi said:

Lets work on it together then. I am also in Will and about to write a nice 'I am an american and I live in ..' email. I am also a first generation immigrant that from came from state that believed in 'reasonable gun control' (called USSR) that also did a number of things to its citizens. I strongly support US Constitution that I swear an oath to at my citizenship ceremony and want to hear from my county officials (including Sheriff) that they oppose and would not enforce clearly illegal, immoral, and wrong laws directly contradicting Constitution.. 

Since Kelly has NO email contact info...I've sent 3 requests via contact form on Will County Sheriff website...CRICKETS !!!!

His cowardly silence tells the story of his position here and I see his political career most important to him rather than the Constitutional rights of the Citizens of Will County. 

I will continue to send 3 contact forms per day till I receive some kind of response. 

On 1/13/2023 at 10:43 AM, Gaius said:

A sheriff is an elected official, and the Governor does not have the power to remove him. Simply put, the sheriff does not work for him. Not true, however, with the State Police. They do work for him and he can remove the Director. 

That would be a start.  ISP might want payback for their own mishandling of FOID's from recent mass casualty events here recently ie. Aurora/HP.

Archived