Nullification begins

steveTA84

Its great to see all the Sheriff's Department and States Attorneys Offices state their opposition to this Bill/Act. I work nights so I didn't see this until I came in tonight. I know that there will be more as the days go on. I work in one of the counties listed as in opposition. in east central Illinois. This February I will have 21 years of full time Policing under my belt. I can assure you there are more municipal LE agencies and individual Officers in opposition to this than you think. I'm not just saying that. I know the Illinois FOP emailed an alert when this all started. Most Chiefs will not make statements, but I urge you to contact yours and have a chat. 

My only fear is something that stemmed from the Illinois SAFE T Act passed in 2021. For those who don't know the Act made training requirements mandatory for every Officer in the state. Those are broken down for yearly, every three year, and every 5 year increments. I don't have access to the website, but my admin does. The website lists the individual Officers name and information. Once an accredited class is completed the ILETSB places a green check by that requirement. Example every year I have to watch a video on the Illinois Firearms Restraining Act. Red Flag law for Illinois. The video explains the Act and my responsibilities and when completed I get a certificate of completion. I then get a green check for that requirement. If at the end of the year, 3 years, or 5 years I didn't complete something I could be suspended.

The state wanted to create a license for Police Officers, Sheriffs Deputies, and State Patrol Officers. They argued a beautician needed a license why not a Police Officer. I don't necessarily have an issue with a license, but a license issued by the state could be revoked by the state similar to the FOID. I know there is a difference as there is no right to be a Police Officer. Hopefully you get the point I am trying to make. 

On 1/12/2023 at 2:36 AM, CPD#127 said:

Its great to see all the Sheriff's Department and States Attorneys Offices state their opposition to this Bill/Act. I work nights so I didn't see this until I came in tonight. I know that there will be more as the days go on. I work in one of the counties listed as in opposition. in east central Illinois. This February I will have 21 years of full time Policing under my belt. I can assure you there are more municipal LE agencies and individual Officers in opposition to this than you think. I'm not just saying that. I know the Illinois FOP emailed an alert when this all started. Most Chiefs will not make statements, but I urge you to contact yours and have a chat. 

My only fear is something that stemmed from the Illinois SAFE T Act passed in 2021. For those who don't know the Act made training requirements mandatory for every Officer in the state. Those are broken down for yearly, every three year, and every 5 year increments. I don't have access to the website, but my admin does. The website lists the individual Officers name and information. Once an accredited class is completed the ILETSB places a green check by that requirement. Example every year I have to watch a video on the Illinois Firearms Restraining Act. Red Flag law for Illinois. The video explains the Act and my responsibilities and when completed I get a certificate of completion. I then get a green check for that requirement. If at the end of the year, 3 years, or 5 years I didn't complete something I could be suspended.

The state wanted to create a license for Police Officers, Sheriffs Deputies, and State Patrol Officers. They argued a beautician needed a license why not a Police Officer. I don't necessarily have an issue with a license, but a license issued by the state could be revoked by the state similar to the FOID. I know there is a difference as there is no right to be a Police Officer. Hopefully you get the point I am trying to make. 

Thank you for this input.  Really sick to see that the state really wants LE to attack average Joe’s like this (the red flag stuff) and that they’re keeping track of you. Regarding the last paragraph, is this something that potentially the FOP can Sue over do you think?

I have no idea about Illinois FOP suing. I have not heard anything yet. I’m not an active follower of them. I should be.

Now if someone would be fired or financially harmed I would think they would act in some manner. Honestly I don’t think they have that much power. Otherwise the SAFE T Act wouldn’t have passed or been as bad. 

I could be totally wrong. It’s happened before 

On 1/12/2023 at 6:24 AM, steveTA84 said:

Thank you for this input.  Really sick to see that the state really wants LE to attack average Joe’s like this (the red flag stuff) and that they’re keeping track of you. Regarding the last paragraph, is this something that potentially the FOP can Sue over do you think?

Sangamon County has been confirmed, it dropped about 30mins ago

On 1/12/2023 at 6:55 AM, CPD#127 said:

I have no idea about Illinois FOP suing. I have not heard anything yet. I’m not an active follower of them. I should be.

Now if someone would be fired or financially harmed I would think they would act in some manner. Honestly I don’t think they have that much power. Otherwise the SAFE T Act wouldn’t have passed or been as bad. 

I could be totally wrong. It’s happened before 

I saw an article yesterday about they might be suing over the safe-t act with the passing of that union constitutional amendment 

My understanding of the license issue is there is a perception that LEOs are getting fired or quit one department under duress but then get a job with another department.  The Left wants to license LEOs so that if you get fired your license is suspended preventing you from getting a job at another dept.   IMHO it is a solution in search of a problem. 

On 1/12/2023 at 4:45 AM, Dr Duke said:

I hope Macon County joins the list of sheriffs who support the constitution.

Macon county is on the map as a 2nd Amendment sanctuary county.

I worry if that is still accurate.

There have been a few elections since that map was made.

Despite there being a small population of Marxists living August-May, it's pretty conservative 

Hang in there.  Tough times are ahead for certain, but how people stand now is what matters.  Your Oath matters. We anticipate an injunction to give everyone some breathing room, but the anti-rights extremists think they have momentum - as well as their supermajority.in the ILGA.  ILETSB  will likely be tapped by Pritzger to arm twist those in opposition (see separate post on that).

Stay salty!

This is the statement from Sheriff Watkins from Peoria County:

“As the Sheriff of Peoria County, I oppose the legislative bill that was recently passed banning law-abiding citizens from buying certain types of firearms. This is another example of Chicago policy being pushed downstate on responsible gun owners. This bill does not solve the root cause of the problem. The real focus should be on the Mental Health Crisis that’s plaguing our communities that I see increasing every day in Peoria County.”

McLean County Sheriff Matt Lane said the following:

“The right to keep and bear arms for defense of life, liberty and property is regarded as an inalienable right of the people. If the intent of the legislative branch of this state is to change the U.S. Constitution, there is a process that was created long ago to accomplish such a change. Changing Illinois law in what I believe is total conflict with the U.S. Constitution is not how it is done. As your sheriff I will continue to defend all of your rights under the Constitution.”

From the WEEK TV.

Like most things in bureaucracy you just tell them what they want to hear and then move on.

Archived