which guns specifically are banned or required to be registered per hb5471

Mauserwaffen98

It does specify rifle.  There are two subsections, one banning the rifles, another banning 50bmg amm.

(5)".50 caliber rifle"means a centerfire rifle capable of firing a .50 caliber cartridge.The term does not include any antique firearm, any shotgun including a shotgun that has a rifle barrel,or any muzzle-loader which uses blackpowder for hunting or historical reenactments.

(6)".50 caliber cartridge"means a cartridgein.  50BMG caliber,either by designation or actual measurement,tha tis capable of being fired from a centerfirerifle. The term ".50 caliber cartridge"does not include any memorabilia or display item that is filled with a permanent inert substance or that is otherwise permanently altered in a manner that prevents ready modification for use as live ammunition or shotgun ammunition with a caliber measurement that is equal to or greater than .50 caliber.

On 1/17/2023 at 12:11 PM, LeviSS said:

It does specify rifle.  There are two subsections, one banning the rifles, another banning 50bmg amm.

(5)".50 caliber rifle" means a centerfire rifle capable of firing a .50 caliber cartridge. The term does not include any antique firearm, any shotgun including a shotgun that has a rifle barrel, or any muzzle-loader which uses black powder for hunting or historical reenactments.

(6)".50 caliber cartridge" means a cartridge in 50BMG caliber, either by designation or actual measurement, that is capable of being fired from a centerfire rifle. The term ".50 caliber cartridge" does not include any memorabilia or display item that is filled with a permanent inert substance or that is otherwise permanently altered in a manner that prevents ready modification for use as live ammunition or shotgun ammunition with a caliber measurement that is equal to or greater than .50 caliber.

"The term does not include any antique firearm, any shotgun including a shotgun that has a rifle barrel, or any muzzle-loader which uses black powder for hunting or historical reenactments."

A shotgun with a rifle barrel? I wonder what the anti's are talking about here. I have yet to see one of those. I know some shotguns have a rifled shotgun barrel, but I have never seen a rifle barrel installed on a shotgun.

And I wonder why an operable 50 cal muzzle-loader is allowed for hunting or historical reenactments, but not for target shooting or collecting purposes?

On 1/17/2023 at 6:35 PM, Jake Logan said:

"The term does not include any antique firearm, any shotgun including a shotgun that has a rifle barrel, or any muzzle-loader which uses black powder for hunting or historical reenactments."

A shotgun with a rifle barrel? I wonder what the anti's are talking about here. I have yet to see one of those. I know some shotguns have a rifled shotgun barrel, but I have never seen a rifle barrel installed on a shotgun.

And I wonder why an operable 50 cal muzzle-loader is allowed for hunting or historical reenactments, but not for target shooting or collecting purposes?

Ha!  I have read this clause a dozen times and never picked up on the word "rifle" not "rifled"   I always read it as "rifled"  Hmm.  I guess this is why I am not a lawyer, reading was never my strength. :)

I wasn’t sure where to post this.  Moderators feel free to move if appropriate.  Early in Biden’s term Feinstein presented a new federal AWB attached here.  It died.  However I was rereading it and the language is almost identical to Illinois AWB.  This is cut and paste legislation.   

Also, I reread Biden’s election manifesto, his platform in political speak.  He wanted to eliminate the law suite immunity for manufacturers of firearms et al.  I thought this was very clever.  No protection and many more go out of business and the prices get so high no one can afford to buy guns or ammo for manufactures that survive.    

I recall S&W was being sued Re: highland Park, so has immunity been removed already?

https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/a/7/a77ca0d0-07b0-4cc1-8ce5-271997fe1947/063DD11B94F08E05113DFC5F9841B0C4.assault-weapons-ban-of-2021.pdf

On 1/17/2023 at 12:11 PM, LeviSS said:

(5)".50 caliber rifle"means a centerfire rifle capable of firing a .50 caliber cartridge.The term does not include any antique firearm, any shotgun including a shotgun that has a rifle barrel,or any muzzle-loader which uses blackpowder for hunting or historical reenactments.

(6)".50 caliber cartridge"means a cartridgein.  50BMG caliber,either by designation or actual measurement,tha tis capable of being fired from a centerfirerifle. The term ".50 caliber cartridge"does not include any memorabilia or display item that is filled with a permanent inert substance or that is otherwise permanently altered in a manner that prevents ready modification for use as live ammunition or shotgun ammunition with a caliber measurement that is equal to or greater than .50 caliber.

Looks to me like it only bans 50 BMG and not other 50 caliber cartridges, even for rifles.

On 1/18/2023 at 7:11 AM, GunCollector said:

I wasn’t sure where to post this.  Moderators feel free to move if appropriate.  Early in Biden’s term Feinstein presented a new federal AWB attached here.  It died.  However I was rereading it and the language is almost identical to Illinois AWB.  This is cut and paste legislation.   

Also, I reread Biden’s election manifesto, his platform in political speak.  He wanted to eliminate the law suite immunity for manufacturers of firearms et al.  I thought this was very clever.  No protection and many more go out of business and the prices get so high no one can afford to buy guns or ammo for manufactures that survive.    

I recall S&W was being sued Re: highland Park, so has immunity been removed already?

https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/a/7/a77ca0d0-07b0-4cc1-8ce5-271997fe1947/063DD11B94F08E05113DFC5F9841B0C4.assault-weapons-ban-of-2021.pdf

Feinstein's bill, IIRC, borrowed heavily from Cook County's ban (which may itself be cribbed from somewhere else) but none of that really means anything, it doesn't make the law any more or less valid.

The immunity is still in effect, but it's not total as Biden et al. would have you believe, it has exemptions so lawsuits can still get filed and the plaintiff has to show they fall into one of those exemptions.

I didn't think it would make it more or less valid.  I just thought it was an interesting fact.  My guess is the language is "proven" which is why they keep it.  Crook county still has their AWB in place, as far as I know.

FYI: I just saw a headline that the Supreme Court refused to hear a challenge on the NYC law, but kept the lower court challenge in place.  This may be normal procedure, given the supreme court is the court of "final arbitraiton" and cherry picks it's cases. 

On 1/18/2023 at 1:48 PM, GunCollector said:

FYI: I just saw a headline that the Supreme Court refused to hear a challenge on the NYC law, but kept the lower court challenge in place.  This may be normal procedure, given the supreme court is the court of "final arbitraiton" and cherry picks it's cases. 

The SCOTUS declined to lift the stay that the second circuit put on the District court's injunction against NY's enforcement of CCIA.  This was stated that they did not intervene entirely in deference to allowing the second circuit to manage their docket.  Both Alito and Thomas commented that the appellants should not be discouraged from requesting relief from SCOTUS if the second circuit is not timely in handling the case.

100% normal and expected with the bonus for the second amendment advocates in that the second circuit is put on notice to not drag things out.

On 1/19/2023 at 8:12 AM, defaultdotxbe said:

They would still be banned by features, its not like they can list every single AR model by name.

Understood, but DS Arms models and Rock River models are listed, and being Springfield is a major manufacturer, it’s just something that was noticed.  Anyone know who their current lobbyist is? I’m sure it’s nothing (pretty sure they learned their lesson regarding carveouts from the prior mess their former lobbyist started), but a little digging never hurt 

On 1/19/2023 at 9:31 AM, steveTA84 said:

Understood, but DS Arms models and Rock River models are listed, and being Springfield is a major manufacturer, it’s just something that was noticed.  Anyone know who their current lobbyist is? I’m sure it’s nothing (pretty sure they learned their lesson regarding carveouts from the prior mess their former lobbyist started), but a little digging never hurt 

You’re overthinking it.  Their firearms are banned by features.  The list is meaningless and a transparent, pathetic attempt to add heft or urgency to this nonsense. “Look how many of these ASSAULT WEAPONS there are!!!”

I spoke to another Illinois based manufacturer/importer whose guns were excluded from the list, and he was ticked off. “What am I, chopped liver?” Or words to that effect lol.

On 1/19/2023 at 10:13 AM, ddan said:

You’re overthinking it.  Their firearms are banned by features.  The list is meaningless and a transparent, pathetic attempt to add heft or urgency to this nonsense. “Look how many of these ASSAULT WEAPONS there are!!!”

I spoke to another Illinois based manufacturer/importer whose guns were excluded from the list, and he was ticked off. “What am I, chopped liver?” Or words to that effect lol.

👍

<For the record this is a bad attempt at humor>

I don't  know about everyone else but I can now sleep at night knowing that our glorious leaders have  protected us from the Ruger Charger!! A weapon of war/ mass destruction so heinously evil and dangerous in existance and intent that no one, well except for those exempted in the protect Illinois communities act should have the right to think about let alone own or possess!

These weapons of war are so evil they have their own intent, I keep my doors locked lest some evil flash suppressor, thumbhole stock  or grenade launcher sneaks in and surreptitiously attaches  itself to a semi automatic magazine fed rifle with the evil intent of transforming  it into a weapon of mass destruction bent on world domination!. I also keep a pump or bolt or lever action rifle out as a decoy because regardless of stock or flash hider or even grenade launcher apparently the intent of manually operated rifles are a pure as the driven snow. 

• For the record this is a bad attempt at humor

On 1/20/2023 at 10:30 AM, sticky22 said:

<For the record this is a bad attempt at humor>

I don't  know about everyone else but I can now sleep at night knowing that our glorious leaders have  protected us from the Ruger Charger!! A weapon of war/ mass destruction so heinously evil and dangerous in existance and intent that no one, well except for those exempted in the protect Illinois communities act should have the right to think about let alone own or possess!

These weapons of war are so evil they have their own intent, I keep my doors locked lest some evil flash suppressor, thumbhole stock  or grenade launcher sneaks in and surreptitiously attaches  itself to a semi automatic magazine fed rifle with the evil intent of transforming  it into a weapon of mass destruction bent on world domination!. I also keep a pump or bolt or lever action rifle out as a decoy because regardless of stock or flash hider or even grenade launcher apparently the intent of manually operated rifles are a pure as the driven snow. 

• For the record this is a bad attempt at humor

I am in tears.  I don't think it was bad -- but it does say something about SAD.

On 1/11/2023 at 10:21 AM, mab22 said:

Welder’s gloves, Oven Mitts, ect are “assault weapon attachments” now. By enabling you to fire a compliant semi-auto  without burning your hand, it converts said rifle into a “assault weapon” so owning them is a felony. 

On 1/18/2023 at 1:21 PM, defaultdotxbe said:

Feinstein's bill, IIRC, borrowed heavily from Cook County's ban (which may itself be cribbed from somewhere else) but none of that really means anything, it doesn't make the law any more or less valid.

The immunity is still in effect, but it's not total as Biden et al. would have you believe, it has exemptions so lawsuits can still get filed and the plaintiff has to show they fall into one of those exemptions.

The Cook Co bill borrowed heavily from the '94 federal bill, with a longer enumerated list of named firearms,  and changed the number of qualifying/disqualifying features from 2 to 1.

Some Cook Co municipalities duplicated the Cook Co ban into their own code, including the Blair Holt moniker.   

https://www.congress.gov/bill/103rd-congress/house-bill/4296/text    - Fed bill 1994

https://library.municode.com/il/cook_county/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIGEOR_CH54LIPEMIBURE_ARTIIIDEWEDE_DIV4BLHOASWEBA   - Cook Co ord.  2006

https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/codes/calumentpark/latest/calumetpark_il/0-0-0-7808    - Calumet Park IL example of Cook Co suburb semi auto ban, 2013

Really hope I am wrong here  but the Ruger Charger ( implement of mass destruction) while not specifically listed as banned appears to be banned on features in that it is a semi automatic pistol with the capacity to accept a detachable magazine outside of the pistol grip... also some are equipped with the evil threaded barrel  two strikes 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived