which guns specifically are banned or required to be registered per hb5471

Mauserwaffen98

Since every semi-auto pistol is capable of accepting a magazine larger than 15 rounds does that mean every semi-auto pistol needs to be registered and the only handgun that does not require registration is a revolver?

Page 85 of the final bill

(C) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine or that may be readily modified to accept a detachable magazine, if the firearm has one or more of the following:(i) a threaded barrel;(ii) a second pistol grip or another feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;(iii) a shroud attached to the barrel or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel;(iv) a flash suppressor;(v) the capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip; or(vi) a buffer tube, arm brace, or other part that protrudes horizontally behind the pistol grip and is

On 1/11/2023 at 9:07 AM, bradb21 said:

Since every semi-auto pistol is capable of accepting a magazine larger than 15 rounds does that mean every semi-auto pistol needs to be registered and the only handgun that does not require registration is a revolver?

No, not as I read it.  And welcome to the forum

Just an FYI, many semi-auto guns are not able to accept a magazine over 15 rounds and there are no such magazines manufactured for those guns, to my knowledge.

On 1/11/2023 at 9:16 AM, bradb21 said:

Some of my carry guns like for instance my LCP II comes with a mag that protrudes lower than the frame of the grip. This stuff is all gray area to me, and it's the gray area that could wind some law abiding citizens in jail. I don't like this!

If the magazine cannot hold more than 15 rounds then you cannot be charged with breaking the law or if you are charged then your lawyer will have an easy time showing you in compliance and the charges will be dismissed. I don't like any of this either but despots will be despots.

On 1/11/2023 at 9:17 AM, mousegun6 said:

Just an FYI, many semi-auto guns are not able to accept a magazine over 15 rounds and there are no such magazines manufactured for those guns, to my knowledge.

Technically the bill says "capacity to accept", so even if a magazine was not sold, it is still capable of accepting a larger magazine if one were to become available. I guess we need to see some people get arrested to see what ruling is on this???

On 1/11/2023 at 9:20 AM, bradb21 said:

Technically the bill says "capacity to accept", so even if a magazine was not sold, it is still capable of accepting a larger magazine if one were to become available. I guess we need to see some people get arrested to see what ruling is on this???

I get that but if you don't have any such magazine in your possession then you have no intent to violate the law. If they start charging people for what could be possible we are in serious trouble because anything is possible.

On 1/11/2023 at 9:24 AM, mousegun6 said:

I get that but if you don't have any such magazine in your possession then you have no intent to violate the law. If they start charging people for what could be possible we are in serious trouble because anything is possible.

I don't disagree with you, especially the part about us being in serious trouble. I think their intent was ban of all semi-auto pistols and only revolvers are acceptable.

On 1/11/2023 at 9:23 AM, bradb21 said:

The way I read the bill is any semi-auto handgun that takes a detachable magazine will need to be registered with the state.

The bill specifically says that assault weapons do not include handguns defined by the Firearms concealed carry act unless they are listed:

(ii) Doruk Lethal shotguns.
(iii) Franchi LAW–12 and SPAS 12.
(iv) All IZHMASH Saiga 12 types, including the
following:
(I) IZHMASH Saiga 12.
(II) IZHMASH Saiga 12S.
(III) IZHMASH Saiga 12S EXP–01.
(IV) IZHMASH Saiga 12K.
(V) IZHMASH Saiga 12K–030.
(VI) IZHMASH Saiga 12K–040 Taktika.
(v) Streetsweeper.
(vi) Striker 12.
(2) "Assault weapon" does not include:
(A) Any firearm that is an unserviceable firearm or
has been made permanently inoperable.
(B) An antique firearm or a replica of an antique
firearm.
(C) A firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump,
lever or slide action, unless the firearm is a shotgun
with a revolving cylinder.
(D) Any air rifle as defined in Section 24.8-0.1 of
this Code.
(E) Any handgun, as defined under the Firearm
Concealed Carry Act, unless otherwise listed in this
Section.
(3) "Assault weapon attachment" means any device capable

I'm not a lawyer but I plan on waiting for the information to be posted on the ISP website and then consulting with an attorney and understanding what needs to be done to remain in compliance with the law. I can only suggest that you do the same. In the meantime, let's not discuss it here and let the lawyers do their job.

On 1/11/2023 at 9:35 AM, mousegun6 said:

I'm not a lawyer but I plan on waiting for the information to be posted on the ISP website and then consulting with an attorney and understanding what needs to be done to remain in compliance with the law. I can only suggest that you do the same. In the meantime, let's not discuss it here and let the lawyers do their job.

Fair enough... good catch on that line "assault weapons do not include handguns defined by the Firearms concealed carry act unless they are listed". I did not see that.

On 1/11/2023 at 9:24 AM, mousegun6 said:

The entire premise of this stupid law is based on charging people for what could be possible...

(v) the capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip; 

It says outside the pistol grip so I assume that any normal handgun where the magazine goes into the grip would not need to be registered.

'...at some location outside of the pistol grip.' Key language.

Archived