Illinois General Assembly 1/10/2023

mauserme

On 1/10/2023 at 8:57 PM, Upholder said:

Todd notes in his video that analyzing just the mag portion took him about 8 hours and that filings are focused on being right, not on being fast.   So there are not likely to be filings tomorrow.

Which makes sense. Plus, we have to take into account that the final product was just passed today. We don't want to leave one stone un-turned.

On 1/10/2023 at 7:09 PM, JNG3 said:

I respectfully disagree. CT's registration scheme still stands to this day. I think the sale ban will fall eventually, but I wonder about the registration scheme IL has proposed. I don't think this will be as easy as some think. And I pray I'm dead wrong.

Name one time during our first 100 years as a country that guns were registered.  

This is the question the Illinois AG will need to answer because this is what Bruen opened the door for.  

Interest balancing is gone.  If the courts thumb their noses at SCOTUS, this case will end up in front of SCOTUS and with the current makeup, now only would our bans go down in flames, but so would CT, NY, CA, and the rest of the commie bans.  

On 1/10/2023 at 9:04 PM, DD123 said:

Name one time during our first 100 years as a country that guns were registered.  

This is the question the Illinois AG will need to answer because this is what Bruen opened the door for.  

Interest balancing is gone.  If the courts thumb their noses at SCOTUS, this case will end up in front of SCOTUS and with the current makeup, now only would our bans go down in flames, but so would CT, NY, CA, and the rest of the commie bans.  

They all need to go and Scotus needs to make it very clear in plain language so there's no wiggle room for them to circumvent it. Can't believe they stood so long, Connecticut since 2012.

On 1/10/2023 at 9:08 PM, lilguy said:

Where has an AWB been ruled unconstitutional?

On 1/10/2023 at 9:08 PM, 357 said:

They all need to go and Scotus needs to make it very clear in plain language so there's no wiggle room for them to circumvent it. Can't believe they stood so long, Connecticut since 2012.

We didn't have NYSRPA vs Bruen until last summer.   Up until then, they could interest balance freedom versus the needs of the state.  The Supreme Court said they can no longer do that. Gun laws have to pass a historical precedent test.  And they strengthened the Heller decision as well clarifying in common use.   

State court lawsuit on the brink 

We are pleased to announce that we are partnering with some other members of the legal profession to take action against Governor Pritzker and the Illinois General Assembly for the passage of HB 5471 which will severely restrict the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens in Illinois.  We plan on bringing a lawsuit in the Illinois state court immediately.  The state court action will address the unlawful manner of which the general assembly continues to pass laws by playing with procedure.  Turning an insurance law into a gun grab at the last second is unacceptable.  These violations of procedure must be addressed by our Courts. 

As for a federal action, should it become necessary, there is a high likelihood the new gun law violates recent United States Supreme Court precedent in regard to 2nd Amendment rights.  An outright ban on gun sales and transfers is an overreach which we would hope the U.S. Supreme Court will not allow to stand. 

Anyone who desires to join and be a part of this case is free to do so.  We intend to begin in the state court and then work towards the federal court, if and when the need arises.  We are preparing now for what is assuredly a quick approval by Governor Pritzker.  If you would like to join our action, please fill out the application. 

On 1/10/2023 at 9:39 PM, steveTA84 said:

State court lawsuit on the brink 

We are pleased to announce that we are partnering with some other members of the legal profession to take action against Governor Pritzker and the Illinois General Assembly for the passage of HB 5471 which will severely restrict the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens in Illinois.  We plan on bringing a lawsuit in the Illinois state court immediately.  The state court action will address the unlawful manner of which the general assembly continues to pass laws by playing with procedure.  Turning an insurance law into a gun grab at the last second is unacceptable.  These violations of procedure must be addressed by our Courts. 

As for a federal action, should it become necessary, there is a high likelihood the new gun law violates recent United States Supreme Court precedent in regard to 2nd Amendment rights.  An outright ban on gun sales and transfers is an overreach which we would hope the U.S. Supreme Court will not allow to stand. 

Anyone who desires to join and be a part of this case is free to do so.  We intend to begin in the state court and then work towards the federal court, if and when the need arises.  We are preparing now for what is assuredly a quick approval by Governor Pritzker.  If you would like to join our action, please fill out the application. 

For a fee of $200 you can join in. 
https://devorelawoffices.com
I SWAER ATTORNEYS AND THIS STATE ARE HAVE A SYMBIOTIC RELATIONSHIP!

On 1/10/2023 at 7:47 PM, vezpa said:

We need to revamp our focus and lawsuits.  We need to focus lawsuits on going directly after lawmakers who KNOWINGLY are infringing on our rights.

That is how you stop this.  Keep them busy in Court.

I'd also like to see a spotlight on the fraud that Gun Free Zones are for "public safety". Highland Park and many other events show the opposite is true.

On 1/10/2023 at 9:35 PM, Matt B said:

I would really love a photo of Todd V doing that same pose in front of the courthouse when the TRO is granted.

Unlike this clown, Todd has never been one to grandstand. 

It's been a rough couple of days for us law abiding citizens and legal firearms owners. I'd like to thank everyone here for the commentary and updates. This site is amazing and I'm grateful to be a member here. Now we wait, get organized, and bring on the lawyers. Until then, Cheers everyone. 

On 1/10/2023 at 7:10 PM, steveTA84 said:
This is a game to these people. They have no idea of the loathing and hatred they are creating towards them from criminalizing normal people who just want to peacefully exist

That feeling when the Student Council bans homework and doubles recess!  Enjoy your day, ladies.  The adults in the room will soon set things to right.

Archived