Illinois General Assembly 1/10/2023

mauserme

On 1/10/2023 at 6:03 PM, ILgunguy said:

Flipping through the news ABC7 is showing a podium already set up for JB to sign the bill tonight.

And they just reported the reason for signing it so fast is to specifically stop a run on weapons and mags.

After his twitter post last night it was pretty obvious he was going to sign it asap.  I made my run at 10AM this morning and added a FN M4 Patrol.

I’ve been swamped at work and unable to follow this much. I know Jelly Bean is signing it tonight. A friend called while I was on the way home from work and was talking about how this now prevents him from carrying an extra mag with his carry pistol. I told him I did t think there was anything in this bill that affected concealed carry. Please confirm friend is wrong. 

On 1/10/2023 at 6:18 PM, Marie said:

I’ve been swamped at work and unable to follow this much. I know Jelly Bean is signing it tonight. A friend called while I was on the way home from work and was talking about how this now prevents him from carrying an extra mag with his carry pistol. I told him I did t think there was anything in this bill that affected concealed carry. Please confirm friend is wrong. 

Your friend is wrong 

On 1/10/2023 at 6:18 PM, Marie said:

On 1/10/2023 at 6:20 PM, steveTA84 said:

Your friend is wrong 

As long as the extra mag is 15 rds or less capacity.

On 1/10/2023 at 6:13 PM, steveTA84 said:

Next step (if upheld)? Right here (ammo buying restrictions)

Hmmmmm, let’s assume one owns two, and only two rifles. A bolt action 5.56 rifle and a dreaded “assault weapon” AR chambered in 5.56.

It would appear, based upon the above, that 5.56 ammo for the bolt action rifle is not limited in any way, shape, or form,

BUT ammo for the AR is limited to two times capacity for the AR….. and what, exactly, IS the capacity of an AR? One round, 10, 30, 100? I’d posit it is endless…..

On 1/10/2023 at 6:10 PM, steveTA84 said:
This is a game to these people. They have no idea of the loathing and hatred they are creating towards them from criminalizing normal people who just want to peacefully exist

Disgusting creatures together with JB Pigster. It means nothing. Can't wait for the look on their faces when is nullified in court. How many counties have nullified it so far? People can get magazines in other states and there's nothing they can do but go pound sand. Criminals can have anything they want but there's nothing in this bill about going after the criminals and only going after the law abiding.

On 1/10/2023 at 6:43 PM, 357 said:

Disgusting creatures together with JB Pigster. It means nothing. Can't wait for the look on their faces when is nullified in court. How many counties have nullified it so far? People can get magazines in other states and there's nothing they can do but go pound sand. Criminals can have anything they want but there's nothing in this bill about going after the criminals and only going after the law abiding.

We will have to recall that tweet when they loose their cabooses in court. 😉

I can't wait until this gets overturned and see the faces of everyone that supported or had a hand in passing it.  

When that moment of cognitive dissonance hits them knowing that they could have let the Cook, Chicago, etc. bans stay in place at least for a while had they not attempted this, and then lose literally everything in one fell swoop will be just as glorious as the faces of Hillary voters when Trump won :lol:

I'm literally going to go out of my way to constantly rub it in their faces.  

With that being said, it's important to understand why they're throwing this last Hail Mary.  The Bruen case changed the landscape as much as McDonald and Heller did, but also finally put the foot down that anything other than strict scrutiny won't be accepted.  

Knowing that this ultimately dies in court, and many of the existing laws also disappear, there aren't many logical reasons to even attempt this.  The only ones I can see are:

1. The pill popping moms pushed to get some sort of ROI and threatened that the piggy bank goes away.  

2. They threw the spaghetti at the wall to see what will stick, and then focus on that across the nation.

3. They're legitimately morons and have absolutely no understanding what the ramifications of Bruen actually are.  

What I think will happen is if the first ruling comes back overturning this law, they may take their ball and go home knowing that if they appeal and this works its way all the way to SCOTUS, this will have nationwide ramifications and even the most solid blue states in the country will hate every Illinois democrat politician.  Stopping at that first court loss gives them the cover to throw their hands up and say "hey we tried, now about those campaign donations..."  That wouldn't bode well for any aspirations the governor has for high political office.  

On 1/10/2023 at 6:12 PM, Jeepin Bowhunter said:

After his twitter post last night it was pretty obvious he was going to sign it asap.  I made my run at 10AM this morning and added a FN M4 Patrol.

My dad purchased a lower this morning, online. FOID sent to FFL and I got a shipping notification. Does anyone know -  will that transfer complete? 

On 1/10/2023 at 5:51 PM, hetzen said:

I am in home rule and they said no. They reached out to IL AG to confirm and after 6 months of waiting (when all other efiles are 30 days or less), I told them to cancel it. 

Bro, look who's in office now. LOL  Nuff said

This is an attack on the Supreme Court and a fundraising spigot for the left.  I think they (the politicians) know this won't pass Constitutional muster and they are going to use this as rally cry for future national elections (and reasons why they need to alter the makeup of the SC).  "Look, we tried our hardest to get this passed, but the Supreme Court and Constitution got in our way"

On 1/10/2023 at 6:51 PM, DD123 said:

I can't wait until this gets overturned and see the faces of everyone that supported or had a hand in passing it.  

When that moment of cognitive dissonance hits them knowing that they could have let the Cook, Chicago, etc. bans stay in place at least for a while had they not attempted this, and then lose literally everything in one fell swoop will be just as glorious as the faces of Hillary voters when Trump won :lol:

I'm literally going to go out of my way to constantly rub it in their faces.  

With that being said, it's important to understand why they're throwing this last Hail Mary.  The Bruen case changed the landscape as much as McDonald and Heller did, but also finally put the foot down that anything other than strict scrutiny won't be accepted.  

Knowing that this ultimately dies in court, and many of the existing laws also disappear, there aren't many logical reasons to even attempt this.  The only ones I can see are:

1. The pill popping moms pushed to get some sort of ROI and threatened that the piggy bank goes away.  

2. They threw the spaghetti at the wall to see what will stick, and then focus on that across the nation.

3. They're legitimately morons and have absolutely no understanding what the ramifications of Bruen actually are.  

What I think will happen is if the first ruling comes back overturning this law, they may take their ball and go home knowing that if they appeal and this works its way all the way to SCOTUS, this will have nationwide ramifications and even the most solid blue states in the country will hate every Illinois democrat politician.  Stopping at that first court loss gives them the cover to throw their hands up and say "hey we tried, now about those campaign donations..."  That wouldn't bode well for any aspirations the governor has for high political office.  

I respectfully disagree. CT's registration scheme still stands to this day. I think the sale ban will fall eventually, but I wonder about the registration scheme IL has proposed. I don't think this will be as easy as some think. And I pray I'm dead wrong.

On 1/10/2023 at 6:10 PM, steveTA84 said:
This is a game to these people. They have no idea of the loathing and hatred they are creating towards them from criminalizing normal people who just want to peacefully exist

They do not hate guns. They hate us. They hate that we will take care of ourselves, and our families and we do not want or need them to be involved.

I think they threw the spaghetti at the wall to see what will stick and are desperate because of Bruen and couldn't wait anymore plus with limitless amount of money from Bloomberg found the votes. The 12 round capacity was de-facto 10 and they're trying to fool the court and appear reasonable with 15. This is just the beginning and they can change it anytime and make it 7 round capacity or 10 round only if you're at the range like they did in New York state, clown world.

Archived