Illinois General Assembly 1/10/2023

mauserme

On 1/10/2023 at 2:11 PM, hetzen said:

The sooner this **** passes and gets kicked out in court, the sooner the cook co AWB falls and I can finally get my fcking SBR. 

I'm a mix of resigned that this is going to happen, and looking forward to it getting struck down. It sounds like they know it won't pass court scrutiny. This feels a LOT like 2016, when they knew that AWB wouldn't get signed when Rauner was around right before the election and it was all a political stunt.

I'm in Cook County and had my SBR Stamp signed this past November. 

On 1/10/2023 at 2:33 PM, ealcala31 said:

I'm in Cook County and had my SBR Stamp signed this past November. 

May I ask how? When I applied, they held my application for 6 months because of Cook County AWB, and told me they reached out the IL AG to clarify. So I told them to cancel it and didn't apply again. 

I was under the impression that under the old system, when you needed CLEO sign off, they'd go through depending on your chief of police (if he'd sign or not). 

I'm also in a home rule city, but it doesn't have anything specific in its laws that say AWB are allowed. 

On 1/10/2023 at 2:35 PM, Molly B. said:

Now we wait for the gov. to sign this  and then BAMMO, we file for an injunction.  I hate what this will do to our firearm retailers in the meantime.

Does that mean everything will be on the table from FOID to this new ban and all the stuff in between, or is this going to be limited in scope? 

Now we wait for the gov. to sign this  and then BAMMO, we file for an injunction.  I hate what this will do to our firearm retailers in the meantime.

I agree. We should all go buy something at the FFL you do business with to show we support them. Part of the intention of this bill is to drive them out of business since they will have to dispose of their "now illegal" inventory back to the distributor and may take a loss on it. Support your local gun shop.

This gun control law, passed under the guise of protecting communities from gun violence, will do nothing to stop the killings, carjackings, home invasions, and other crimes committed by thugs. Each of the lawmakers who voted for this act do not care about the victims who were killed last night in Illinois, who will be carjacked today, or who will be robbed tomorrow. This law would not have stopped the more than 700 killings in Illinois last year and will not prevent the more than 700 killings that will happen in 2023. In addition, the Act stomps on a non-prohibited person's right to to be armed with many popular firearms in case of unlawful confrontations. It infringes upon such a person's freedom to shoot whatever commonly used firearm he chooses at a gun range, or to hunt with that firearm, or just to own it. Like the unconstitutional FOID Act, this act is also a violation of the US Constitution's Second and Fourteenth Amendments.

Lawyers its your turn............................

Yea, the few that survived the licensing bill, will be hit, if they had a lot of stock on hand like a prominant store in McHenry does (and GAT for that matter).  Perhaps they will stock more Lever action now (Need a few more myself).  Course demand will mkae those skyrocket.

Is there any chance that the firearm retailers would be able to sue the State when the law is found illegal and they suffered harm by it? 

On 1/10/2023 at 2:47 PM, Skris48 said:

I doubt they will grant an injunction to delay implementation of the law. This will likely play out in court for a decade. People seem to think it'll be overturned immediately but with appeals this will haunt us for years to come.

You have to remember there are other Federal cases that could have a significant impact on what is put in place. So, it may not be as long as you think. 

On 1/10/2023 at 2:47 PM, Skris48 said:

I doubt they will grant an injunction to delay implementation of the law. This will likely play out in court for a decade. People seem to think it'll be overturned immediately but with appeals this will haunt us for years to come.

Other Bruen cases seems to be moving along relatively quickly...at least quickly for the courts. 

On 1/10/2023 at 2:34 PM, hetzen said:

May I ask how? When I applied, they held my application for 6 months because of Cook County AWB, and told me they reached out the IL AG to clarify. So I told them to cancel it and didn't apply again. 

I was under the impression that under the old system, when you needed CLEO sign off, they'd go through depending on your chief of police (if he'd sign or not). 

I'm also in a home rule city, but it doesn't have anything specific in its laws that say AWB are allowed. 

Benbow is the guy, he is in here. I took his advice and hired him. I have 3 more on the way and this law might put me in a real pickle. 

20230110_144730.jpg

Archived