SBR’s and C&R licenses

Yes, its easy.  I am an FFL/SOT and I usually have about 6 or 7 NFA items in the process of being transferred to IL residents, most of which are SBRs to C&R holders.

I am also written a book, available on Amazon, "an illinois legal guide to national firearms act reguated firearms".  So far I have a 100% ATF approval rate on NFA transactions, though some were a fight.

I can provide details and sources via PM if you like

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 4:00 PM, Benbow said:

Yes, its easy.  I am an FFL/SOT and I usually have about 6 or 7 NFA items in the process of being transferred to IL residents, most of which are SBRs to C&R holders.

I am also written a book, available on Amazon, "an illinois legal guide to national firearms act reguated firearms".  So far I have a 100% ATF approval rate on NFA transactions, though some were a fight.

YES YOU CAN, AN ILLINOIS LEGAL GUIDE TO NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT REGULATED FIREARMS. https://a.co/d/1YXP9Fj

Is this it?

On 1/9/2023 at 4:00 PM, Benbow said:

Benbow is the real deal. I had him do a Form4 for me and SBR my Zastava ZPAP M92 Pistol, amongst other SBRs...

It’s amazing to see the difference a few miles can make.  

I was in a LGS is Missouri just outside of St Louis 2 weeks ago. 
They had a whole showcase full of suppressors.  I commented on how foreign that was to me being from a communist state and the guy just laughed.  He said just turn around - behind me was a machine that took your prints and did the paperwork for you.  
You just needs to pay for the suppressor, pay your $200 and they would hold it for you until the paperwork cleared.  

It emphasizes just how repressed Illinois Is.  

my reading of the AW ban is that SBRs are exempt, not that this was intended, or even contemplated, but the statute is so poorly written  it appears to be that if the gun is a SBR, and you have a C&R or a reenactor card, it makes the AW ban provision, at least as to guns, a nullity.  Again, not intended, but I think that is the result

On 1/30/2023 at 7:50 PM, Benbow said:

my reading of the AW ban is that SBRs are exempt, not that this was intended, or even contemplated, but the statute is so poorly written  it appears to be that if the gun is a SBR, and you have a C&R or a reenactor card, it makes the AW ban provision, at least as to guns, a nullity.  Again, not intended, but I think that is the result

How are you reading it that way?

On 2/1/2023 at 7:49 AM, lilguy said:

It would be helpful if we had a firearms law attorney as a member . The rampant speculation and opinion posing as fact doesn’t help anyone. We will need the year allowed to figure out what to do with the registration scheme. Doesn’t appear the ISP was ready for this either.

We have several members who are attorneys, most of them well versed in firearm law.  They typically avoid establishing an attorney client relationship on the open forum.  And I'm quite sure no one here feels duty bound to figure out what to do with the registration scheme on the state's behalf.  If ISP can't get it done, so be it.

On 2/1/2023 at 8:05 AM, mauserme said:

We have several members who are attorneys, most of them well versed in firearm law.  They typically avoid establishing an attorney client relationship on the open forum.  And I'm quite sure no one here feels duty bound to figure out what to do with the registration scheme on the state's behalf.  If ISP can't get it done, so be it.

Interesting, Thanks

It's very interesting. They define an "assault" weapon as:

semi-automatic; center-fire; ability to accept removable magazines; 

AND 

one cosmetic feature (telescoping stock etc.) or any part (lower or upper receiver)

additionally they include any semi-automatic centerfire with an overall length of

less than 30" the interesting thing is there are separate definitions for what

constitutes an SBR - in addition to exemptions

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't there a OAL Limit you have to meet? Regarding IL Law, not the Federal. Like I could of swore it had to be atleast 26" or the ATF wasn't approving it.

Which means if you want a MP5K, Glock with a Stock, Uzi, Etc you were kinda screwed. Did any of that change?

Edited by Capt_Destro

On 2/20/2023 at 1:41 PM, Capt_Destro said:

Wasn't there a OAL Limit you have to meet? Regarding IL Law, not the Federal. Like I could of swore it had to be atleast 26" or the ATF wasn't approving it.

Which means if you want a MP5K, Glock with a Stock, Uzi, Etc you were kinda screwed. Did any of that change?

Illinois law is still 26". You won't get to 26" with a MP5k but you will get there with a full size MP5 clone. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I already own many F1 SBRs, so the process isn't new to me, however the AWB, injunction, and stay all have me wondering...

One of my freedom week purchases is an SBR waiting to happen. I'm filling out the form 1 and getting fingerprints done in the next week or so.

What kind of legal conundrum might I find myself in if ATF approves my stamp here and now. Then January 1st ISP views it as illegal, unregistered, and unregisterable.

I don't expect this AWB to stick, but I also don't know that it will be struck down before enforcement starts.

I'm willing to be the test case...