Illinois General Assembly 1/9/2023

mauserme

On 1/9/2023 at 7:49 PM, lilguy said:

So its done What are the time frames for implementing the several bans?

It has to go back to the House to be approved before Noon on Wednesday (which it will) and then signed by the Governor (which it will).

The law has immediate effect and the various parts are listed in the bill.  The big one is the registration requirement by Jan 1, 2024.

On 1/9/2023 at 7:48 PM, 357 said:

I didn't, I have a 2nd Amendment right and don't need to be in the Militia. Aren't Militias investigated by the FBI now? How times have changed. That actually supports his argument that it only applies to militias.

The militia is the whole of the people. The federalist papers made it clear that the 2nd was intended to make every house a castle in opposition of tyranny. 

On 1/9/2023 at 7:50 PM, Rem870 said:

Anyone have the bullet points of what was passed?

I'm hoping someone does this too. My head started spinning when I tried reading the 111 page bill someone linked to. Even when I read these bills, I'm always confused by the language used. 

my issue (well one of many). I may or may not have ordered a weapon that may or may not be banned.   It came in today, but I am out of town until next week.  So I can't do background check before then and I will lose a lot of money with a return fees.  How is this even legal?  I am sure my FLL will hold it until a Injunction comes though.  Either way will JB cut me a check?  I hope these lawyers also are aware that many people may be in the same boat.  I did order it before all this shell billing started, but they don't care. My other option is to fly home, and fly back. Which isn't a cheap option either.

On 1/9/2023 at 7:06 PM, 357 said:

He's wrong and he is misinterpreting it to fit his corrupt and self serving agenda. That's not what he means. He thinks the 2nd Amendment doesn't apply to the people and we don't have a right to own or carry guns and the Supreme Court is wrong even though they've been saying we do since 2010. He is saying that what the Supreme Court has said is not clear enough and can be ignored and doesn't matter. Bloomberg has funded a few Cornell University studies too so I wouldn't trust that as the gospel.

So he's taking the "I'm an attorney and it is not clear what the Supreme Court ruled, despite my law degree and profession".

Perhaps his law license should be reviewed as well?

On 1/9/2023 at 7:54 PM, davel501 said:

The militia is the whole of the people. The federalist papers made it clear that the 2nd was intended to make every house a castle in opposition of tyranny. 

I know but is there any militias in Illinois? It's an individual right, Upholder told you the same thing. You keep insisting but you really support his argument which ignores the part "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed".

On 1/9/2023 at 7:54 PM, South Side 27 said:

As far as new magazines. No way to prove when they were acquired or serial numbers. What would stop someone from driving to WI or IN to  a retailer and buying them in person? Will they be checking ID to make sure you are not an IL resident?

Brick & mortar retailers in other states don't care. They'll sell you as many as you want.

On 1/9/2023 at 8:00 PM, spike99 said:

my issue (well one of many). I may or may not have ordered a weapon that may or may not be banned.   It came in today, but I am out of town until next week.  So I can't do background check before then and I will lose a lot of money with a return fees.  How is this even legal?  I am sure my FLL will hold it until an Injunction comes though.  Either way will JB cut me a check?  I hope these lawyers also are aware that many people may be in the same boat.  I did order it before all this shell billing started, but they don't care. My other option is to fly home, and fly back. Which isn't a cheap option either.

Assuming JB signs shortly after the house votes (and he has said he will act fast) then you are going to have a lot of FFLs stuck returning rifles that got shipped in too late. The bill only exempts sales where a BG check has been initiated on or before effective date.. which can’t happen until the rifle gets in. I’m personally in this boat and will now have to argue why I shouldn’t have to pay a restock fee.

On 1/9/2023 at 8:05 PM, Matt B said:

Assuming JB signs shortly after the house votes (and he has said he will act fast) then you are going to have a lot of FFLs stuck returning rifles that got shipped in too late. The bill only exempts sales where a BG check has been initiated on or before effective date.. which can’t happen until the rifle gets in. I’m personally in this boat and will now have to argue why I shouldn’t have to pay a restock fee.

The Background check should be able to happen as soon as you agree on the terms of the sale.  If your FFL is not willing to do that, you should find one that will, IMHO.

On 1/9/2023 at 8:39 PM, mab22 said:
On 1/9/2023 at 8:01 PM, Euler said:

How often do people go to vote intending to vote one way, but mistakenly marking all the wrong choices themselves because they didn't bother to read the ballot?

You don't know about the Grave yard voting booths in Crook County do you?

Then there are the convalescence home ballot harvesting procedures.  🙂

You're talking about something completely different.

I'm talking about many people, including probably some people here, who were unable to follow directions, so they filed an opponent slip against the wrong bill. I doubt that it happened because someone pretended to be a dead person who rose from the grave and filed a slip as a different, living person, using that person's own credentials, or that someone pretended to be a convalescent home patient who filed a slip as a different, non-patient.

I'm pretty sure that people not following directions (or at least not knowing what they were doing, but thinking all the time that they did) is a much simpler, and therefore probably much more accurate, explanation.

On 1/9/2023 at 8:05 PM, Matt B said:

The background check can be done as soon as you fill out the 4473.  Go to your FFL and fill it out.  They can add the serial number to the form when the firearm comes in.  In the meantime, they can call it in and get the approval.  I work in a gun store...this is common. 

On 1/9/2023 at 9:13 PM, Chief Illiniwek said:

The background check can be done as soon as you fill out the 4473.  Go to your FFL and fill it out.  They can add the serial number to the form when the firearm comes in.  In the meantime, they can call it in and get the approval.  I work in a gun store...this is common. 

Many refuse to let you fill out a 4473 until they have a serial number to put on the form. I think that's also the ATF's intent.

On 1/9/2023 at 8:08 PM, Dumak_from_arfcom said:

Harmon gave us his interpretation of the 2nd amendment and I've heard this going around in liberal circles.....

And still, the lower courts (per Bruen) continue to rule against infringements.

On 1/9/2023 at 8:14 PM, birdman1967 said:

... If my county becomes a sanctuary, does that supercede this unconstitutional law? 

County law does not supersede state law. "Sanctuary county" just means the county won't enforce the law. It doesn't prevent state (or even municipal) cops from doing anything, although if the county ASA won't prosecute, then it just comes down to property seizure.

On 1/9/2023 at 8:01 PM, 357 said:

I know but is there any militias in Illinois? It's an individual right, Upholder told you the same thing. You keep insisting but you really support his argument which ignores the part "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed".

The unorganized milita that we are all a part of. 

I passed on Upholder's reply because it sounded like they were saying that Heller granted us a right. The Court can't grant/create a right, they can only read what is there. That is why Rowe v Wade was struck down. It all has to come from the Constitution and the supporting documents like the Federalist papers that explain the intent. 

Being that everyone is in the militia you can't help but have an individual right to posess arms. The idea behind the militia is that every house is a castle that will be defended to the end so you get the right to self defense and you could argue castle doctrine too.

Harmon can scoff all he wants but he's part of the unorganized militia too. 

On 1/9/2023 at 8:11 PM, ragsbo said:

Done on purpose

LOL, Ragsbo, indeed. Even I figured that out when I first arrived here on IC. The language is so far over the heads of the people who voted yes on this nonsense, it's silly. 

On 1/9/2023 at 6:30 PM, Evil Porkchop said:

Nah, they are just doing the same thing NY is and thumbing their nose at SCOTUS. The 7th circuit, if it even gets that far will have a field day with this. Just banning the possession of currently legal items will get them smacked.

BINGO!  Yet, they threaten us with prison for thumbing our collective noses at the "law" they just passed with full knowledge that it is unlawful and unconstitutional. 

Keep voting Democrat, morons ....

On 1/9/2023 at 8:22 PM, davel501 said:

The unorganized milita that we are all a part of. 

I passed on Upholder's reply because it sounded like they were saying that Heller granted us a right. The Court can't grant/create a right, they can only read what is there. That is why Rowe v Wade was struck down. It all has to come from the Constitution and the supporting documents like the Federalist papers that explain the intent. 

Being that everyone is in the militia you can't help but have an individual right to posess arms. The idea behind the militia is that every house is a castle that will be defended to the end so you get the right to self defense and you could argue castle doctrine too.

Harmon can scoff all he wants but he's part of the unorganized militia too. 

Unfortunately the Supreme Court didn't say that and is not relevant and impractical in the times we live and I mentioned a couple reasons. An individual right is more important than a right because you're in a militia. We can't ask for everything the founders wrote when they are striping the right away in front of our eyes, have to be realistic.

Archived