Illinois General Assembly 1/9/2023

mauserme

On 1/9/2023 at 6:14 PM, AlphaKoncepts aka CGS said:

harmon acknowledges again this will not solve the problem and closes "we'll see you in court".

He has been in Bloomberg's pocket and collaborating and conspiring with Bloomberg's moms for many years to deprive people of their Constitutional rights. What does he care is not his money, as long as he enriches himself and gets reelected.

On 1/9/2023 at 6:15 PM, Upholder said:

Harmon to close:  "The SCOTUS has clearly ignored a major component."   The right is supposed to secure a free state, it does not.   responds that the M1 and 1911 do not meet the round requirements.  "designed to do one thing only: kill people in a horribly viscous way."   Claims this is a much better bill than where we started.

"We will see you in court."

You're damn right you will.

Who the heck carry’s an M1 for protection? 
1911’s can come in 9mm and .22, which will probably then meet the requirement, but what do they know. 
OH! Does all this apply to .22, and does anyone want to see if a .22 will hurt, I don’t. 

On 1/9/2023 at 6:24 PM, Dumak_from_arfcom said:

Yep, they clearly are blaming SCOTUS.  They knew about Bruen from the beginning. 

That is why they rushed this through now.  They wanted to get it on the books before more post-Bruen rulings come out.

I worry they might know something about SCOTUS that we don't. This is just dumb otherwise.

On 1/9/2023 at 6:21 PM, CM_50BMG said:

So where is the bill with amendments to see exactly what the passed? Sounded like they put the serial number of guns back in? 

Here's the majority of the text of the bill (amendment 3): https://ilga.gov/legislation/102/HB/10200HB5471sam003.htm

There were also amendments 4 and 5 that were filed, which seem like they fix typos:

Amendment 4

10200HB5471sam004   LRB102 24372 JDS 42579 a

AMENDMENT TO HOUSE BILL 5471
2       AMENDMENT NO. ______. Amend House Bill 5471, AS AMENDED,
3   with reference to page and line numbers of Senate Amendment
4   No. 3, on page 101, line 23, by replacing "(6)" with "(7)".

Amendment 5

10200HB5471sam005   LRB102 24372 JDS 42581 a

AMENDMENT TO HOUSE BILL 5471
2       AMENDMENT NO. ______. Amend House Bill 5471, AS AMENDED,
3   with reference to page and line numbers of Senate Amendment
4   No. 3, on page 106, line 15, by replacing "(b)" with "(c)".

Bill status page: https://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=5471&GAID=16&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=139995&SessionID=110&SpecSess=&Session=&GA=102

On 1/9/2023 at 6:28 PM, davel501 said:

I worry they might know something about SCOTUS that we don't. This is just dumb otherwise.

Nah, they are just doing the same thing NY is and thumbing their nose at SCOTUS. The 7th circuit, if it even gets that far will have a field day with this. Just banning the possession of currently legal items will get them smacked.

On 1/9/2023 at 6:21 PM, CM_50BMG said:

So where is the bill with amendments to see exactly what the passed? Sounded like they put the serial number of guns back in? 

Amendment 3 contains the bulk of the text.  4 and 5 were also included but are only technical changes of references to other portions of law.

https://ilga.gov/legislation/102/HB/10200HB5471sam003.htm

On 1/9/2023 at 6:27 PM, mousegun6 said:

Here's a link to the passed senate version:  https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/102/HB/PDF/10200HB5471sam003.pdf

With amendments 4 and 5 is this really the "final" senate version? Are sfa4 and 5 included in this? 

I didn't have a chance to read any of the amendments as it happened so fast.

On 1/9/2023 at 6:36 PM, AlphaKoncepts aka CGS said:

With amendments 4 and 5 is this really the "final" senate version? Are sfa4 and 5 included in this? 

I didn't have a chance to read any of the amendments as it happened so fast.

4 and 5 are just technical corrections of some language and such and I don't think they change anything except doing a little housekeeping

If this thing gets signed into law, and somehow ends up in front of SCOTUS and they slap Illinois in the face striking the law down, basically making all such laws across the country null and void, I will personally call up a bakery and put in a standing order for a cake with the text of the 2A on it, including a card with a pic of everyone laughing in the Goodfellas scene with the text "Sen. Harmon, thank you for personally safeguarding the 2A for all Illinoisans for generations to come"......and I'll literally send it every week lol.  

Gov. JB Pritzker, House Speaker Emanuel “Chris” Welch and Senate President Don Harmon issued a joint statement in support of a sweeping assault weapons ban. The Senate passed the legislation Monday and the House is expected to put final approval on it Tuesday to send to the governor’s desk.

Joint statement from the three leaders:

“After continued negotiations between the leaders, stakeholders and advocates, we have reached a deal on one of the strongest assault weapons bans in the country.

“Gun violence is an epidemic that is plaguing every corner of this state and the people of Illinois are demanding substantive action. With this legislation we are delivering on the promises Democrats have made and, together, we are making Illinois’ gun laws a model for the nation.”

Key components of HB5471 include:

•  Immediately ends the sale, delivery and purchase of assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. The legislation includes a comprehensive, detailed and updated list of assault weapons subject to the ban. High capacity magazines are also prohibited.
  • Strengthens assault weapons ban by allowing Illinois State Police to update as needed.
  • Those already owning guns on the assault weapons list would have to provide information to the Illinois State Police.
  • Immediately bans the possession and use of rapid-fire devices that increase the firing rate of semiautomatic weapons.
  • Expedites the implementation of universal background checks.
  • Does not change the FOID card age.

We won't know until the house passes whatever they are going to pass and see if they try and change something but I expect the leadership has an agreement already in place and this is what will be signed into law after they have the staff make it all pretty and make the necessary corrections in copy.

On 1/9/2023 at 6:41 PM, mousegun6 said:

We won't know until the house passes whatever they are going to pass and see if they try and change something but I expect the leadership has an agreement already in place and this is what will be signed into law after they have the staff make it all pretty and make the necessary corrections in copy.

This is what they agreed upon.  This is what will be signed.

On 1/9/2023 at 6:40 PM, DD123 said:

If this thing gets signed into law, and somehow ends up in front of SCOTUS and they slap Illinois in the face striking the law down, basically making all such laws across the country null and void, I will personally call up a bakery and put in a standing order for a cake with the text of the 2A on it, including a card with a pic of everyone laughing in the Goodfellas scene with the text "Sen. Harmon, thank you for personally safeguarding the 2A for all Illinoisans for generations to come"......and I'll literally send it every week lol.  

Make sure you use a bakery in his district, someone likely to object to making the cake.
This way you can save on the delivery costs or maybe get some more legal action.

On 1/9/2023 at 6:10 PM, AlphaKoncepts aka CGS said:

Why does she need to read her speech from a paper?

On 1/9/2023 at 6:15 PM, Upholder said:

Harmon to close:  "The SCOTUS has clearly ignored a major component."   The right is supposed to secure a free state, it does not.   responds that the M1 and 1911 do not meet the round requirements.  "designed to do one thing only: kill people in a horribly viscous way."   Claims this is a much better bill than where we started.

"We will see you in court."

You're damn right you will.

Translation, the 2nd Amendment according to him applies only to militias and not the people and the Supreme Court got it wrong. He's right, we don't have a free state or a Democracy, we have a puppet government controlled by a cabal and this is more proof. He clearly has disdain and doesn't care about people's 2nd Amendment rights or the Supreme Court and their decisions and is ignoring both. But we are supposed to follow Bloomberg's law passed with bribes which makes illegal what the state of Illinois approved and said was ok to buy and are Constitutionally protected.

On 1/9/2023 at 6:40 PM, DD123 said:

Just print out 365 copies of a page which says "2nd Amendment Rules" and send him a letter everyday for a year. No sense in wasting good cake on the loser. I'll be glad to chip in on the cost of the stamps.

Archived