Illinois General Assembly 1/9/2023

mauserme

On 1/9/2023 at 11:06 AM, Illinois Sucks said:

I tried to find the source but was unsuccessful.  Can you find that study on Pew?

An earlier (April 2021) version was penned by Andrew Stiles and published in the Washington Free Beacon. There are no links to a Pew study or any other sources.

The Washington Free Beacon is linked to GPS Fusion and the Steele Dossier.

It is possible this news source is wavering on the edge of truth and not truth...

Cheers,

Tim

On 1/9/2023 at 11:40 AM, soundguy said:

There are people actually working on this...

Cheers,

Tim

LOL.  I'm sure, if he could, our chubby governor would ban everything except jelly donuts, expensive wine, caviar, and silver spoons. His little tantrum yesterday was all about his political ambitions. He actually thinks he can get elected President and he wants this "tough on guns" policy as part of his platform. He will have about as much success as that little shorty Bloomberg who finances all of this anti-gun legislation. I think shorty got all of two delegates in his run for President and he only spent 20 million dollars for each of them. Fat Boy's bid will have the same outcome. It's really sad. I think his mother must have promised him that one day he would be king and he just can't face the reality that she lied to him. Governor, go have another donut and we will see you in court.

On 1/9/2023 at 11:15 AM, Gaius said:

Funny how some people call lawyers scum but when they are in trouble, or want their right protected, they go to and rely on lawyers. 

Having had to hire scum before, I couldn't agree more.  Upon hiring they knew that too as I clearly explained my feelings.  They did great for me every time.  Still scum as I wouldn't have had to hire scum if it weren't for the other scum trying to be their own scum.  

On 1/9/2023 at 10:51 AM, Molly B. said:

Tried to zoom into the committee hearing but they were only doing in-person oral testimony.  My comments would have been, "Not only are the new restrictions in this bill unconstitutional, but restrictions already on the books are unconstitutional.  We are now post NYSRPA v Garland, the Constitutional Day of Reckoning we have warned you about has arrived, do your darnedest.  See you in court."

Thank you, and Amen.

Shall not infringe.

On 1/9/2023 at 11:19 AM, mousegun6 said:

Jeeps were developed as a vehicle to be used in war but you see millions of them on the road today, all much more capable than the original. They were bought legally and the government has no right to ban their use because they could be used as a weapon by a person.

So here is my attempt to show the governor's words in their true context:

Every time a vehicle of war is used to inflict the maximum amount of damage in the shortest amount of time we mourn for the lives lost and communities shattered.

Enough is enough.

The people of this state deserve a real assault vehicle ban, one that has a real accounting of the vehicles currently in circulation and a real chance at ceasing the flow of more vehicles of war immediately. We need a bill that meets the urgency of now and the current version in the Senate falls short. Jeeps shall no longer be allowed in Illinois .

Does this sound stupid and unconstitutional or is it just me?

I mean, 8500 children die every day from hunger but the man still eats enough to feed an entire family.

On 1/9/2023 at 12:03 PM, Jeffrey said:

Having had to hire scum before, I couldn't agree more.  Upon hiring they knew that too as I clearly explained my feelings.  They did great for me every time.  Still scum as I wouldn't have had to hire scum if it weren't for the other scum trying to be their own scum.  

🤣

On 1/9/2023 at 11:56 AM, soundguy said:

An earlier (April 2021) version was penned by Andrew Stiles and published in the Washington Free Beacon. There are no links to a Pew study or any other sources.

The Washington Free Beacon is linked to GPS Fusion and the Steele Dossier.

It is possible this news source is wavering on the edge of truth and not truth...

Cheers,

Tim

On 1/9/2023 at 12:17 PM, mauserme said:

I don't think they have the Senate votes to pass a bill with registration.  They didn't, anyway.  Things can change.

What can most likely cause change is money.

As a prime example, I have little doubt Durkin stayed only long enough to earn the money (in campaign contributions and other considerations such as board seats) by voting yea on SB2226.

The more centrist Dem senators who are reluctant to fall into line and vote for the Gun Ban are looking at what the Party will do to their support come re-election time.

It's easy to imagine Harmon's minions yanking leashes with some emphatic tugs now, double-especially with Pritzker pounding on the table.

On 1/9/2023 at 12:44 PM, cherryriver said:

What can most likely cause change is money.

As a prime example, I have little doubt Durkin stayed only long enough to earn the money (in campaign contributions and other considerations such as board seats) by voting yea on SB2226.

The more centrist Dem senators who are reluctant to fall into line and vote for the Gun Ban are looking at what the Party will do to their support come re-election time.

It's easy to imagine Harmon's minions yanking leashes with some emphatic tugs now, double-especially with Pritzker pounding on the table.

You also have to account for reelection. Alot of red voters didn’t come out to vote this past election but surely they might think that this would round of a lot of red votes and vote them out. Outside of cook, votes could switch an outcome.

On 1/9/2023 at 11:18 AM, gunuser17 said:

I suspect that the democrats in Illinois and across the country will not be upset if this, or any other gun law passed is overturned by the courts.  That will be the campaign theme for the next election in two years.  They are not stupid and most understand that such laws have no impact on criminals - these are simply laws to run on to their base.  The ads will simply be that you have to elect a democrat president and senators so that we can replace these horrible supreme court judges with judges that will overturn these radical gun decisions by the Supreme Court and let us prohibit these firearms that are only useful in war.  You can already anticipate the television advertisements featuring people that have lost someone to a mass shooting pleading to please elect someone that will do something for the children.

If you recall, the democrats were confident in the Rowe v. Wade decision until that went down in flames.  Bruen and other prior decisions could go that same route with the wrong election results.

RvW was correcting a mistake where a previous court "created law".  It's not the job of SCOTUS to create laws through their rulings.  I wish our side would stop using RvW in this manner because 2A is specifically enumerated in the constitution, so these are two completely different subject matters.  The only way abortion can be made legal uniformly across the county is with congress passing a law.  Congress can pass gun laws, and even then they're not really safe from court rulings.  Just look at the ACA as an example.  The only way to legitimately infringe on 2A is through a constitutional amendment, and they know that.  

My suspicion around the tactics the left are using, and have been using for the better part of the last 20 years is making life miserable enough in solid blue states that causes enough republicans to flee, and with them solid democrats eventually have enough.  The end result are red states that turn purple with time.  Once they change the voting demographics of enough states, constitutional convention becomes achievable.  High taxes, high levels of crime, more laws infringing on freedoms....the writing is on the wall.  Everyone calls democrats dumb....I think it's everyone else that's dumb because they're playing a long game while our side continually calls them morons.  It's the same tactic they use for redistricting.  Find a republican stronghold district, split it off into democrat stronghold districts, and roll parts of solid democrat areas in and you lose the district altogether.  The only difference is they're doing it statewide by making life miserable knowing that while they're getting rid of their opposition (GOP voters), they'll also lose enough democrats to turn other states purple.  While we're focused on their next move, they've started at checkmate and are moving backwards from there to eventually reach it.  

I really wish illinois would give it a rest. I have so many thigns I need to get done and it is clear that nothing is getting done today.

On 1/9/2023 at 12:47 PM, DD123 said:

Based on my understand of what's going on, TRO's are part of the response.  

The only thing about all of this that concerns me is the TRO. It would be catastrophic if we didn't get granted an immediate TRO. Ultimately I see nearly all of this jibberish declared unconstitutional. 

On 1/9/2023 at 1:03 PM, mikew said:

If Durkin has already resigned, he will not be able to vote for concurrence.

And my rep was a NV. If I recall there were 11 NV's, with Durkin hat makes 12. It'll be close, but ultimately I can't see something not passing. 

Now here's an interesting tea-leaf-reading sort of a note.

Sitting down for lunch I clicked on WBBM 780, the CBS Radio all-news station in Chicagoland.  I believe it's #1 or 2 in listenership in the region; i.e., it has considerable reach.

Earlier in the morning they were broadcasting their item about the AWB bill at the first or second position in each quarter-hour.  Also interesting was that sometime overnight, they added the term "so-called" to the standard term "assault weapons ban".  Must have been some pretty considerable feedback about that!

So now, in the 1pm hour, they are now 25+ minutes deep in the hourly cycle and still have not mentioned the bill whatsoever.

Given this org's absolutely rabid anti-gun activism- I have a number of chippy exchanges with station manager Ron Gleason in which he denies any  such thing- this is almost a surprise.

Now if only I was a skilled tea leaf reader in the first place.

Archived