ISP: FOID RENEWALS WITH FINGERPRINTS ON FILE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: ISP Public Information Office
December 30, 2022 ISP.PIO.Personnel@illinois.gov
FOID CARD RENEWALS FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH FINGERPRINTS ON FILE

SPRINGFIELD – Beginning January 1, 2023, upon a Firearms Transaction Inquiry Program (FTIP) approval, the Illinois State Police (ISP) will automatically renew a person’s Firearm Owner’s Identification Card (FOID) for individuals who have submitted a full set of fingerprints to ISP specifically for their FOID card or Concealed Carry License. The individual’s FOID card will remain active for a period of 10 years from the date of the FTIP approval so long as the card holder is not subject to revocation or suspension under the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. As FOID cards are replaced, new cards will not include the issuance or expiration dates pursuant to FOID Act updates that took effect January 1, 2022.

“The automatic renewal of a FOID card will expedite the process for many card holders while still ensuring people who are prohibited under the FOID Act do not have legal access to a card,” said ISP Director Brendan F. Kelly. “Automatic renewal will also allow staff to focus on Clear and Present Danger reports, Firearm Restraining Orders, as well as FOID correlations and enforcement.”

ISP will check the fingerprints against all available State and local criminal history record information files. FOID card duration, renewal, and expiration information can be found in the FOID Card Act rules, Section 1230.30.

Individuals who apply for a FOID card may include a full set of their fingerprints transmitted through a live scan fingerprint vendor licensed by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR), which will be kept on file for potential automatic renewals. Individuals who currently have a FOID card but have not submitted a full set of fingerprints to ISP may do so by going to a live scan vendor and uploading them to their account at www.ispfsb.com. A list of licensed fingerprint vendors can be found on the IDFPR website.

12.30.22 FOID Card Renewal with prints.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

I made a purchase about a week ago. 

Received the following email from ISP today:  

This is to inform you that as a result of the background check associated with your recent firearm purchase, because you have fingerprints on file for this purpose, your FOID was renewed for up to 10 years from the date of the approved transaction. Please visit your Applicant Portal Dashboard to view your current expiration date and to see your eCard. Because FOID and FOID/CCL combination cards no longer have printed expiration dates, you will not receive a new card. Please see our frequently asked questions at the same website for the latest information on this and other FOID and CCL matters.v3_N9EQYRqRd9CxWg4plaUMZb8P-pp4qbK7JAfgb

On 1/25/2023 at 8:29 PM, Euler said:

When FFLs run an FTIP check on you for a purchase, ISP knows which FFL checked, whom they checked (you), and has always tracked it. Nothing changed about that with "modernization."

Correct. However, that modernization did create yet ANOTHER “special” class of citizens.

You get auto renewal on purchase if you submitted prints with a CCL app. Correct?
Do you get the same auto renewal if you chose not to submit prints (a perfectly legal option)?? I seriously don’t know but believe you do not.

These are two different things:

On 1/25/2023 at 8:33 PM, 2A4Cook said:

Ok, I picked up another gun today, and, AGAIN, I got, "Your FOID license expiration date has been extended due to your recent firearm purchase."  No good is going to come of this.

On 1/25/2023 at 9:59 PM, Tip said:

Correct. However, that modernization did create yet ANOTHER “special” class of citizens.

You get auto renewal on purchase if you submitted prints with a CCL app. Correct?
Do you get the same auto renewal if you chose not to submit prints (a perfectly legal option)?? I seriously don’t know but believe you do not.

On 1/25/2023 at 9:05 PM, Euler said:

These are two different things:

Didn’t say they were the same. 

Tried to ask a question - let me rephrase it —  What are the requirements to get an auto renewal on FOID upon purchase of a firearm? Does this apply to all FOID holders?

On 1/26/2023 at 8:29 AM, Smallbore said:

What does gun purchase have to do with renewal date? Where did that come from? Thought foid renewal date tied to ccl expiration date.

You're not asking me, but I'm just going to throw in my 2 cents that a gun purchase has nothing to do with it -- it should simply be automatic for all those with fingerprints on file.  I'm getting creeped out now that they send me a text and an email every time I buy a gun that they know about it; it's like a "Big Brother is watching you" kind of feeling.

On 1/25/2023 at 8:59 PM, Tip said:

I do not understand the special class comment. Life is full of examples of getting additional benefits from paying more money or doing an additional step or task. 

Supporting members here have more privileges than non-supporting members. Some seats at a concert cost more than others. Clubs often have levels of membership based on dues or time spent in volunteering. There are many or examples, but I do not see where they are creating classes. 

On 1/26/2023 at 11:25 AM, Quiet Observer said:

I do not understand the special class comment. Life is full of examples of getting additional benefits from paying more money or doing an additional step or task. 

Supporting members here have more privileges than non-supporting members. Some seats at a concert cost more than others. Clubs often have levels of membership based on dues or time spent in volunteering. There are many or examples, but I do not see where they are creating classes. 

When it comes to enumerated rights, everyone should be treated the same. It's no different than creating a special class of people that can skip the line at the polling place. Sooner or later someone will figure out that they can limit resources to cause long lines that people cannot wait in, getting rid of those votes.

#1 the FOID is a crime against the Constitution and should not exist.

#2 the FOID is a crime against the Constitution and should not exist.

#3 everyone should automatically renew. If they know who you are enough to LET you buy a firearm (<-that's so broken) they don't need your fingerprints to renew their stupid card.

On 1/26/2023 at 11:55 AM, davel501 said:

When it comes to enumerated rights, everyone should be treated the same. It's no different than creating a special class of people that can skip the line at the polling place. Sooner or later someone will figure out that they can limit resources to cause long lines that people cannot wait in, getting rid of those votes.

#1 the FOID is a crime against the Constitution and should not exist.

#2 the FOID is a crime against the Constitution and should not exist.

#3 everyone should automatically renew. If they know who you are enough to LET you buy a firearm (<-that's so broken) they don't need your fingerprints to renew their stupid card.

Until the law is repealed or found to be unconstitutional by state or federal supreme court, it is something Illinoisians have to deal with. Getting rid of the law is fine with me.

Everyone is treated the same. If one wants an extra benefit, one has to do a required task regardless of who one is. Do not meet the required task, no benefit is received, regardless of who one is. 

On 1/26/2023 at 3:16 PM, Quiet Observer said:

Until the law is repealed or found to be unconstitutional by state or federal supreme court, it is something Illinoisians have to deal with. Getting rid of the law is fine with me.

Everyone is treated the same. If one wants an extra benefit, one has to do a required task regardless of who one is. Do not meet the required task, no benefit is received, regardless of who one is. 

Not everyone is treated the same under this regime. Those that choose to dance for the fat man get special treatment. 

On 1/26/2023 at 3:24 PM, davel501 said:

Not everyone is treated the same under this regime. Those that choose to dance for the fat man get special treatment. 

I seem to be tubby's personal tap dancer.  I just bought another gun, and received my THIRD text/email combo informing me that, "hey, because you bought another gun, we're extending your FOID yet again."  All they have to do is count the number of times your FOID has been auto extended to know exactly how many guns you've purchased over any given time period since this crap was enacted.  I'm sure I'm now on their radar with my "assault 1911s."  

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2023 at 9:10 PM, 2A4Cook said:

I seem to be tubby's personal tap dancer.  I just bought another gun, and received my THIRD text/email combo informing me that, "hey, because you bought another gun, we're extending your FOID yet again."  All they have to do is count the number of times your FOID has been auto extended to know exactly how many guns you've purchased over any given time period since this crap was enacted.  I'm sure I'm now on their radar with my "assault 1911s."  

Did you receive a new combo FOID/CCL?  I got the same email over the weekend after making a purchase last Friday. What confuses me is ", you will not receive a new card." My CCL card expires in 2026 and FOID card in 2025. Now my FOID expiration is 2033. So I assume I should receive a new combo card?

Archived