Was I premature in buying some 10 round magazines?

vito

Will there be any mag limits in a year or so... whenever cases make it to SCOTUS?

Sometimes I'll load my 15ers with 10, or even five, at the range. I like to see a pattern on a fresh target at different distances. Other times I just load up everything at home to full capacity, before the range trip, so I get more actual shooting time. I bring my Clinton capacity 10 rounders along for those outings. Every pre-loaded round counts.

Cheers,

Tim

On 12/21/2022 at 10:04 AM, vito said:

As a hedge against the new limitations, I bought a couple of 10 round magazines. I wonder if I should have just waited to see what actually becomes law and how it is enforced. 

You are NOT premature. They have the votes, it's just exactly what they will pass is the question. 

I own a number (that exact number is tightly controlled info!) of 10 round AR mags, both for my AR15 and AR10.  I never understood the fascination or use for the 20 or 30 round mags.  They just get in the way when I am trying to sight in or when I am hunting.  I would buy them just for the utility of a 10 rounder vs. larger mags.

On 12/22/2022 at 8:34 PM, DoYouFeelLucky said:

I never understood the fascination or use for the 20 or 30 round mags.

Curious have you every spend hours plinking targets?  When I was younger I would spend hours out in the woods with my 1022 and pockets packed with 30 rounders, so much more convient then carrying 10 rounders, boxs of ammo and having to reload constantly.  Same thing now when I go to the range, so much more convient to have a stack of larger magazines pre-loaded at home that will last for an extended period of time.

Plus if you look at the average hit percentages combined with the average neutralizing hits of people under stress, 10 rounds is not all that appealing to me if I ever was to find myself in real likfe self defense situation, especially against multiple assailants, thus the reason modern firearms (especially those used for self defense) have naturally evolved to higher capacity magazines.

At the end of the day, the 2nd doesn't say "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, with magazines limited to 10 rounds, shall not be infringed." so just like I find no appeal to owning a Glock, I respect that the right allows others to own and use Glocks just as the right allows me to choose another style and brand of firearm that appeals to me.

On 1/6/2023 at 11:48 AM, Fuddly said:

I thought there was an exemption if you register the gun. I purchased 10 rounders to cover myself. The range I usually shoot at is in a town with conflicting feelings on firearms.

"Registration" is just a prelude to "confiscation".  There was a news story recently about an eastern state (CT or MA I think) that had certain items "grandfathered" and now the governor is trying to eliminate all those grandfathered items (mags & guns).

I don't think being proactive and having some 10 rounders on hand is a bad idea right now. Looking at doing it this week for my carry guns - Beretta Px4's full size and subcompact. Rumor is that the mag ban will be instantaneous or relatively so when this passes. We'll seemingly have a while to situate ourselves with our "Assault Weapons" but I don't wanna get caught without my Px4's simply because 10 round mags for them are sold out when the rush comes. The Summer of 2020 and all the barren shelves at the gun stores is still fresh in my mind.

Better to have and not need than to need and be without.

On 1/6/2023 at 10:28 PM, JTHunter said:

"Registration" is just a prelude to "confiscation".  There was a news story recently about an eastern state (CT or MA I think) that had certain items "grandfathered" and now the governor is trying to eliminate all those grandfathered items (mags & guns).

I was responding to whether we could keep the gun itself, i thought we could keep the gun if we registered it. I’m talking about guns that are standard with greater than 10 round mags

I think we need to wait and see what the law actually says when it passes. We'll know soon enough what firearms are banned outright and need to be registered to be grandfathered in but my impression is that 10+ round magazines will be illegal/contraband regardless of the firearm they function in. No matter if the firearm is designated as an assault rifle or whatever - no more magazines of more than 10 rounds. What guns need to be registered in order to be retained I'm not sure of. Patience is a virtue.

On 1/8/2023 at 6:43 PM, Vodoun da Vinci said:

I think we need to wait and see what the law actually says when it passes. We'll know soon enough what firearms are banned outright and need to be registered to be grandfathered in but my impression is that 10+ round magazines will be illegal/contraband regardless of the firearm they function in. No matter if the firearm is designated as an assault rifle or whatever - no more magazines of more than 10 rounds. What guns need to be registered in order to be retained I'm not sure of. Patience is a virtue.

I hate this "gotta pass the bill to know what is in the bill" crapola! I think sometimes these laws ain't even written when they vote, they fill in the blanks later

On 1/8/2023 at 8:30 PM, ragsbo said:

I hate this "gotta pass the bill to know what is in the bill" crapola! I think sometimes these laws ain't even written when they vote, they fill in the blanks later

Earlier someone stated the Senate video came up and the Chamber was empty. Maybe that’s why they fill-in the blanks later. 🤪

Now that I know that handgun magazines have a limit of 15, and not 10, and that larger magazines are perfectly legal if on private property, I guess I wasted a few bucks on the 10 round mags. The handgun I was concerned about is a Glock 17, with 17 round magazines. But this gun is too big for concealed carry (in my opinion) and has been for home defense, so it turns out I am ok with just using the 17 round mags as needed. I keep that Glock 17 loaded and with 2 extra magazines, plus a round in the chamber. If 52 rounds is not enough to stop the threat, then I am really in big trouble. 

Archived