Gun Registry "Kiosks" According to ISP Director

speedbump

On 12/25/2022 at 1:51 PM, djmarkla said:

Do you think folks are buying MSRs just to have one before this law goes into effect?

Stop calling them that (in general, not signaling you out individually). They are semi-auto rifles. MSR is a term meant to ease tensions of anti-gunners/play their game. Screw them. They are effective weapons and are a sign of technology advancing, which had no bearing on rights. We all need to stop catering to the antis and the misinformed. They are useless if they haven’t seen reality by now. The technology in an AR is really no different than in an M1 Carbine/Garand. Funny how those actual “weapons of war” aren’t on the sights of the anti-gunners, but a PSA AR is.....

In answer to your question, yes, people are stocking up on those and mags too 

On 12/25/2022 at 5:57 PM, steveTA84 said:

Stop calling them that (in general, not signaling you out individually). They are semi-auto rifles. MSR is a term meant to ease tensions of anti-gunners/play their game. Screw them. They are effective weapons and are a sign of technology advancing, which had no bearing on rights. We all need to stop catering to the antis and the misinformed. They are useless if they haven’t seen reality by now. The technology in an AR is really no different than in an M1 Carbine/Garand. Funny how those actual “weapons of war” aren’t on the sights of the anti-gunners, but a PSA AR is.....

In answer to your question, yes, people are stocking up on those and mags too 

I should have put "MSRs" in quotes as I would " assault" rifle. I was just going for a broad category of what they want to ban. 

On 12/25/2022 at 9:02 PM, DoYouFeelLucky said:

As an IL resident can buy a long gun, including AR's, in border states, and technically in any state, and that transaction and check doesn't go through the ISP, isn't this just migrating sales to other states?  

Yes and No. Yes, you can buy a long gun in a contiguous state and the background check will be performed there. Federal law allows you to buy it anywhere but Illinois law does not. The kicker is the law must abide by both states laws. Depending on how the final law is written it may not abide by it. 

On 12/26/2022 at 10:06 AM, 3ddiver said:

Yes and No. Yes, you can buy a long gun in a contiguous state and the background check will be performed there. Federal law allows you to buy it anywhere but Illinois law does not. The kicker is the law must abide by both states laws. Depending on how the final law is written it may not abide by it. 

I believe the new law will basically say to any gun purchaser that they need to buy all long guns outside of the state of IL so the ISP has no view of that purchase.

On 12/22/2022 at 4:56 AM, richp said:

lilguy, I share your concerns about how this will change the environment for firearm owners in Illinois.

But if this is enacted, it may be in a different form, and immediate litigation may very well enjoin its implementation. So there will be plenty of time to sort out how to deal with whatever remains after all that happens.

I wish I shared your optimism about quick relief from this unconstitutional law but the fact that the governor's signature will immediately make possession of a magazine that holds more than ten rounds a felony is a very serious problem. I spent last evening reading the recent Supreme Court decisions and they all refer to "law-abiding" citizens. Once our governor signs the bill we will no longer be "law-abiding" citizens if we possess these magazines. Reality is a b**** and the reality is that 2 million people will be subject to losing their 2nd Amendment rights immediately if found with a prohibited magazine. I am going to continue to be a "law-abiding" citizen and do what is necessary to remain one. Each of us will be faced with a choice and we will face the consequences of that choice individually. I plan for the worst and hope for the best and I suggest that all of you do the same. Yes, this proposed law is wrong, ill-advised, unconstitutional, and will not solve any problems. It doesn't matter, it will be the law and we need to prepare in advance for it's immediate implementation. Just my opinion and I'm new here.

I have sent a check to become a supporting member and another check for the litigation fund. I have joined GOA this week. I am talking to my friends and neighbors about this bill and trying to get people to stand up for their rights. Mom's Demand Action and I plan on acting to exercise my 2nd Amendment right and buy another gun. If the public reaction to this law's implementation is 1 million new gun sales in Illinois then our actions will be heard loud and clear. Use your rights or lose your rights. Just my opinion. Rule number one is stay out of jail. Stay a "law-abiding" citizen.

On 12/28/2022 at 8:37 AM, mousegun6 said:

Once our governor signs the bill we will no longer be "law-abiding" citizens if we possess these magazines. Reality is a b**** and the reality is that 2 million people will be subject to losing their 2nd Amendment rights immediately if found with a prohibited magazine. I am going to continue to be a "law-abiding" citizen and do what is necessary to remain one. Each of us will be faced with a choice and we will face the consequences of that choice individually. I plan for the worst and hope for the best and I suggest that all of you do the same. Yes, this proposed law is wrong, ill-advised, unconstitutional…..

I of course would not advocate noncompliance, especially here, but I suspect that will be more the norm than not. 

On 12/28/2022 at 10:02 AM, 2A4Cook said:

They thumb their noses at Federal law and the Constitution without consequence.  We refuse to comply with their unconstitutional, illegal stomping on our rights, and they turn us into political prisoners.  What, exactly, is the difference between that and Russia, China, North Korea, etc.?

Not any difference as far as I can see. It was demonstrated during questioning of Todd during the hearing that some members of the legislature do not believe in the individual right to keep and bear arms for any reason. We believe in the inherent right to self defense and the Constitution. We must remain within the law and fight back for our rights. The time for compromise is past. I am confident that we will prevail in the end but it may take a long time. Save our FFLs, legally buy a gun today. If you can't afford the gun right now then join the GOA for $25 and become a supporting member here for $25. So many gun owners in Illinois are not aware of HB5855 so we need to spread the word. The truth about what this law means is not understood by the vast majority of gun owners in Illinois.

On 12/28/2022 at 10:43 AM, StuckInIllinois said:

I of course would not advocate noncompliance, especially here, but I suspect that will be more the norm than not. 

"One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws."

~Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.~

The choice is each of ours to decide. Compliance rates in states with similar laws are mostly in the single digits, FYI.

Justice Alito concurring on Bruen said:

In District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U. S. 570 (2008), the Court concluded that the Second Amendment protects the right to keep a handgun in the home for self-defense. Heller found that the Amendment codified a preexisting right and that this right was regarded at the time of the Amendment’s adoption as rooted in “ ‘the natural right of resistance and self-preservation.’ ” Id., at 594. “[T]he inherent right of self-defense,” Heller explained, is “central to the Second Amendment right.” Id., at 628.

 Although Heller concerned the possession of a handgun in the home, the key point that we decided was that “the people,” not just members of the “militia,” have the right to use a firearm to defend themselves. And because many people face a serious risk of lethal violence when they venture  outside their homes, the Second Amendment was understood at the time of adoption to apply under those circumstances. The Court’s exhaustive historical survey establishes that point very clearly, and today’s decision therefore holds that a State may not enforce a law, like New York’s Sullivan Law, that effectively prevents its law-abiding residents from carrying a gun for this purpose.

 That is all we decide. Our holding decides nothing about who may lawfully possess a firearm or the requirements that must be met to buy a gun. Nor does it decide anything about the kinds of weapons that people may possess. Nor have we disturbed anything that we said in Heller or McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U. S. 742 (2010), about restrictions that may be imposed on the possession or carrying of guns.

The Illinois legislature will pass house bill HB5855 in some form, probably in a few weeks time. They have nothing to lose if they pass it because they can claim they "did something" and if it is overturned in court they will blame any and all future violence on those darn "gun people". The Bruen decision did change the landscape somewhat but they are going to double down and try to bankrupt the gun lobby with multiple laws in multiple states, all more onerous than the last. We need to prepare for a long and expensive fight and have a plan of action individually to remain 'law-abiding" citizens until the Supreme Court has spoken, if they decide to take the case at all. I don't want people to assume that the courts will intervene and save them from prosecution for non-compliance, whether the law is just or not.

On 12/28/2022 at 3:25 PM, mousegun6 said:

That darn moral compass keeps us from actually becoming felons, except in the eyes of our legislators.

"One has not only a legal but a *MORAL* responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a*MORAL* responsibility to disobey unjust laws."

~Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.~

(emphasis added)

On 12/28/2022 at 3:25 PM, mousegun6 said:

That darn moral compass keeps us from actually becoming felons, except in the eyes of our legislators.

We are way past the time to be talking about a “moral compass”. Legislators and the antis don’t have one. They will do whatever it takes to get what they want (which is criminalizing gun owners who have done no wrong). Every individual needs to make a personal choice regarding the upcoming legislation. Sure, don’t chest thump about defiance, but it is a duty of every actual American (not those commie rats that just live here, they don’t count as Americans) to disobey unjust laws and partake in massive and passive non-compliance. I mean, would you “follow the law” if it was law to report Jews who don’t where a star on their chest? Or what about making it law that blacks must give up their seats to whites on public transportation? Those were laws (one of which was in the US in some states), and anyone that agreed they should be upheld and followed has no right calling themselves a defender of freedom, just as those who advocate for disarmament at the barrel of a government gun have no right to think or say they are for civil rights.

these people use most of our “moral compass” against us because they know they can. That thinking needs to stop, otherwise you’re just gonna dig your (and everyone’s) own graves and let the oppressors win without any fear of retribution. 

(not a personal attack, new guy)

On 12/28/2022 at 4:08 PM, steveTA84 said:

We are way past the time to be talking about a “moral compass”. Legislators and the antis don’t have one. They will do whatever it takes to get what they want (which is criminalizing gun owners who have done no wrong). Every individual needs to make a personal choice regarding the upcoming legislation. Sure, don’t chest thump about defiance, but it is a duty of every actual American (not those commie rats that just live here, they don’t count as Americans) to disobey unjust laws and partake in massive and passive non-compliance. I mean, would you “follow the law” if it was law to report Jews who don’t where a star on their chest? Or what about making it law that blacks must give up their seats to whites on public transportation? Those were laws (one of which was in the US in some states), and anyone that agreed they should be upheld and followed has no right calling themselves a defender of freedom, just as those who advocate for disarmament at the barrel of a government gun have no right to think or say they are for civil rights.

these people use most of our “moral compass” against us because they know they can. That thinking needs to stop, otherwise you’re just gonna dig your (and everyone’s) own graves and let the oppressors win without any fear of retribution. 

(not a personal attack, new guy)

No personal attack implied or taken steveTA84. I agree with you 100% and if I only had myself to think of when considering participating in massive and passive non-compliance then I would be right there with you but life is not that simple. Complying with whatever is passed will be a non-issue for most people who tend to go along to get along, a bother for others, and an important "stand for freedom" moment for others. There will be a cost and risk associated with whatever decision you make in the matter. I don't plan on judging anyone for their decision or the path they choose to follow. I won't consider them communists or think they are advocating for disarmament at the barrel of a government gun. Other than a couple of speeding tickets, I have never run afoul of the law and I'm too old to start now. You do what you think is right and I will respect you for it. It's just not worth it to me to have a magazine that holds 15 rounds and defy the law when I can afford to have two ten round magazines and be within the law. If you want to die on that hill and defend your right to carry 15 rounds then I wish you all the best in your defense in front of a judge. Good luck. I intend on remaining a "law-abiding citizen" unless the government asks me to do something that is immoral, illegal, or unsafe. That's where my moral compass leads me. You follow yours and I will follow mine and I hope we can do it with mutual respect for each other. I have enjoyed the discussion and I'm sure we will have more in the months ahead. I hope to have my carry permit by summer. As Red Green used to say"keep your stick on the ice", we're all in this together."

On 12/25/2022 at 8:35 AM, mikew said:

Actually, the ISP has done massive upgrades on their IT platforms over the last 10 years.

I've seen the "before" picture, which was using desktop PCs to run terminal emulator windows onto a mainframe system running COBOL.

I would like that better, harder to hack into an old main frame not connected to the internet.

On 12/28/2022 at 7:10 PM, mousegun6 said:

Nope, not a NARC. That would qualify as both immoral and unsafe in my book, and make me a perfectly round as*****.

Cant argue that then. When the time comes, people will have to make choices, and if you’re sitting this one out and not helping the immoral people enforcing this (politicians, jackboots and activists looking to SWAT people), then that’s A Ok 

On 12/28/2022 at 5:41 PM, Dx54r said:

Im honestly at the point where selling every gun I own and using the money to move to wisconsin makes more sense than renewing my Foid ever again.

I am now a resident of Missouri. It’s a Constitutional Carry state.  

I gave up on Illinois. 

I can’t wait for the ISP letter telling me my CCL is suspended.  🥸

On 12/28/2022 at 10:03 PM, Lou said:

I am now a resident of Missouri. It’s a Constitutional Carry state.  

I gave up on Illinois. 

I can’t wait for the ISP letter telling me my CCL is suspended.  🥸

I've been wondering how that would work with the drivers license link in the new law. Would MO suspend your drivers license once IL did?

On 12/29/2022 at 12:34 AM, davel501 said:

I've been wondering how that would work with the drivers license link in the new law. Would MO suspend your drivers license once IL did?

I’m not sure. I highly doubt it. Missouri is actually a reasonable state to deal with as opposed to IL.

It is my understanding that IL gets notified that I got a MO DL and the ISP will suspend my FOID and CCL. 

I’ve been checking and so far IL has not cancelled either.  It’s only been a month. 
If/when I get a letter fro IL I can honestly say all firearms have been removed from Illinois.   

Archived