Gun Registry "Kiosks" According to ISP Director

speedbump

On 12/21/2022 at 9:29 AM, EdDinIL said:

Can the Governor appoint a special prosecutor or order the state AG to prosecute cases in sanctuary counties?

Who would that special prosecutor work for?   State or county?

If county, game over.   No prosecution.

If the state AG prosecutes - would he do it by himself (e.g. Raoul) or delegate it to one of his AAG's?     I doubt the former.   

Are there AAG's in every county that work for the state?   If not, that's a lot of driving for a special prosecutor to do. 

I'm wondering how many AAG's there would be appointed to make this happen - and how that will affect the prosecution of other cases.    There's how many sanctuary counties versus how many AAG's on Rauol's payroll?

I'm thinking this won't be viable.

Or a Cloward-Piven action that's on purpose with disastrous results.

They've been doing registration for a while now. They know where the newer ARs are. They just need to make a few public arrests after the 300 day registration period expires and people will be dumping their stuff like crazy. I'd suspect that's the real goal is that people pass on registration then get scared and get them out of the state. 

On 12/21/2022 at 11:20 AM, speedbump said:

Non compliance + Non prosecution/ Conviction = Nullification.

Todd V is correct: there will be massive civil disobedience & non compliance.  Connecticut had the highest compliance rate, and that was only @15%. All other places were in the single digits.

Listen to Speedbump, folks ;) 

Well, I have some thoughts on what they might do, but I refuse to help them do it by putting thoughts on it here. The best option is to donate all you can to get any of these kind of laws overturned. Time for talk, and capitulation is done, it's time for court.

I would encourage everyone not to help them think of ways to enforce this or any like it. 

We can be our own worst enemy at times, giving them the info they need, or plugging the holes by telling them about them. Please don't do that here!

JQ

On 12/21/2022 at 11:20 AM, speedbump said:

Non compliance + Non prosecution/ Conviction = Nullification.

Todd V is correct: there will be massive civil disobedience & non compliance.  Connecticut had the highest compliance rate, and that was only @15%. All other places were in the single digits.

For the states like NY or CT, what effect did the laws have on ranges that used to allow ARs?  Non-compliance while keeping hidden and silent is one thing, but personal training and practice will suffer without a place to shoot.  I'd wager that most of us don't live on property where we can shoot legally and freely.

On 12/21/2022 at 1:58 PM, EdDinIL said:

For the states like NY or CT, what effect did the laws have on ranges that used to allow ARs?  Non-compliance while keeping hidden and silent is one thing, but personal training and practice will suffer without a place to shoot.  I'd wager that most of us don't live on property where we can shoot legally and freely.

Plenty of places to shoot in Indiana and Wisconsin.

lilguy, I share your concerns about how this will change the environment for firearm owners in Illinois.

But if this is enacted, it may be in a different form, and immediate litigation may very well enjoin its implementation. So there will be plenty of time to sort out how to deal with whatever remains after all that happens.

On 12/22/2022 at 9:28 AM, Caveman2021 said:

I can see people being dumb and carrying their "Assault rifles" into these malls and stores where the kiosks are because they didn't write the numbers down and cause panic and people being shot 0.2 seconds after being told to drop it..

Legislators cause more problems than they solve

On 12/23/2022 at 9:06 PM, RECarry said:

Kiosks and databases can be hacked, or accessed by persons with malicious intent. Remember this story where NYC's gun owners' names and addressed were published?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/news/york-newspaper-publishes-gun-owners-names-addresses-154215176.html

More recently, the CA AG “accidentally” release the info of all CA concealed carry permit holders after the Bruen decision 

On 12/23/2022 at 9:06 PM, RECarry said:

Kiosks and databases can be hacked, or accessed by persons with malicious intent. Remember this story where NYC's gun owners' names and addressed were published?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/news/york-newspaper-publishes-gun-owners-names-addresses-154215176.html

The Associated Press tried to do the same thing in Illinois in March of 2011, using their employee, political reporter John O'Connor, to try to get the FOID list so that AP could publish info about the FOID holders.  This article does not mention that it was O'Connor's John Hancock on the request, but that's still out there and can be verified.

https://pantagraph.com/news/state-and-regional/illinois/attorney-general-illinois-must-release-foid-card-list/article_cdae2224-445d-11e0-bde0-001cc4c03286.html

Here was the anti-gun press generating its own anti-gun news.
Must be nice.

On the other hand, the ISRA filed suit and all the FOID info got locked away and protected.
Did Mr O'Connor do us all a favor with the unintended consequence?

On 12/23/2022 at 7:20 PM, techgeek said:

Legislators: We have a crime problem.  Let's make 2 million people felons to fix it.

They call it gun violence, don't you know guns are committing the violence. What they expect will happen when only criminals can have modern guns, forgot we have the SAFE-T "Act'' taking effect January 1st AKA The Purge and we'll be safe. Criminals can't wait to go to the kiosks to register their guns, the kiosks will keep us safe.

On 12/24/2022 at 7:24 PM, DoYouFeelLucky said:

Unless the state of IL has done massive upgrades of their information technology platforms over the last 10 years, the state having any sensitive information should be challenged on Consumer and Data Privacy concerns.  

Actually, the ISP has done massive upgrades on their IT platforms over the last 10 years.

I've seen the "before" picture, which was using desktop PCs to run terminal emulator windows onto a mainframe system running COBOL.

On 12/25/2022 at 8:35 AM, mikew said:

Actually, the ISP has done massive upgrades on their IT platforms over the last 10 years.

I've seen the "before" picture, which was using desktop PCs to run terminal emulator windows onto a mainframe system running COBOL.

That is good to know.  The last I saw their IT infrastructure they were trying to limp along AS400's.

Archived