Has ISRA done anything regarding slips for HB5855?

Felixd

On 1/5/2023 at 2:26 PM, Felixd said:

Once again Mr. Pearson's weekly missive is void of the sense of reality necessary to lead a civil rights organization in the struggle against government overreach. No direction, no ideas, no inclusion of members. Nothing to indicate how we can best serve to stop obviously biased and useless legislation. Just the usual news report and historical references. ISRA needs new leadership. 

Do you need weekly instructions how to write or call legislators and other government officials? Can you write to the local paper on your own? 

The ISRA website has lists of bills that it supports and opposes as well as links to the texts of the bills. The site has contact information on legislators. It also lists legislation that is involved in. 

Many of the threads on the Illinois Carry site are not connected to gun rights issues. So, do we reject IC because not every thread does not deal with government overreach?

On 1/5/2023 at 4:06 PM, Quiet Observer said:

Do you need weekly instructions how to write or call legislators and other government officials? Can you write to the local paper on your own? 

The ISRA website has lists of bills that it supports and opposes as well as links to the texts of the bills. The site has contact information on legislators. It also lists legislation that is involved in. 

Many of the threads on the Illinois Carry site are not connected to gun rights issues. So, do we reject IC because not every thread does not deal with government overreach?

As stated I believe the ISRA, of which I am a member, has advanced to the point that actual leadership is required for it, and us, to be successful in stopping unconstitutional legislation. The organization needs someone to constantly make members and the public aware of the degradation of everyone’s civil rights by state government. To explain in detail what is happening frequently with respect to proposed law and regulations. To build the organization into a large and rapidly responsive group of educated voters who understand the importance and totality of not opposing onerous legislation. Merely relying on members to read a website or know what is happening in Springpatch is insufficient to counter the well oiled machine of our opponents. Additionally, my comment was aimed specifically at the useless weekly messages from Mr. Pearson who seems happy to report news from other countries and states and his obligatory history lesson. That is not leadership. That does not satisfy the needs of the membership or our problems at hand. 

If anyone who is disappointed in the ISRA leadership also donates to the CCRKBA, they need to hear from you regarding Mr. Pearson’s position on the CCRKBA board.  A simple note using the  contact link on their site would be helpful to let Mr. Gottlieb know that Mr. Pearson’s “leadership” in IL is not without its detractors and may impact the course of his organization negatively as well.

On 1/6/2023 at 9:35 AM, Quiet Observer said:

Does anyone really believe that Alan Gottlieb and all the members of the CCRKBA board of directors are not aware of each other's activities in regard to 2A causes? 

Is there any large organization that does not have members who are dissatisfied with the actions of its leaders? 

I seriously doubt Gottlieb spends the majority off his time studying all the efforts of his board member’s individual effectiveness  in their own jobs, as with most of the boards I’ve worked with or been on.  He focuses his time in the dozens and dozens of lawsuits and other actions they do and reorganizing his own staff with all the recent changes.  He’s not polling ISRA members for satisfaction, he’s hearing RP mention the highlights and how great they are a few times a year.  Gottlieb’s not going to know about RP until we put a spotlight on it.  The response I received indicates the CCRKBA may pay attention if enough of us bark as it could impact fundraising flow negatively.

On 1/6/2023 at 12:38 PM, Yeti said:

I seriously doubt Gottlieb spends the majority off his time studying all the efforts of his board member’s individual effectiveness  in their own jobs, as with most of the boards I’ve worked with or been on.  He focuses his time in the dozens and dozens of lawsuits and other actions they do and reorganizing his own staff with all the recent changes.  He’s not polling ISRA members for satisfaction, he’s hearing RP mention the highlights and how great they are a few times a year.  Gottlieb’s not going to know about RP until we put a spotlight on it.  The response I received indicates the CCRKBA may pay attention if enough of us bark as it could impact fundraising flow negatively.

So, how do you think that Pearson get on the board? Did Gottlieb select a stranger for the position? There are only 9 members. It is not as if the head of every state 2A association gets an honorary appointment to the board. I have noticed that over the years that the Second Amendment Foundation and the ISRA have been on the same side in several lawsuits. For those who may not know, SAF is the sister organization of the CCRKBA. Both are headed by Alan Gottlieb.

Do you have the actual text of Gottlieb's response to you? 

On 1/6/2023 at 9:35 AM, Quiet Observer said:

Does anyone really believe that Alan Gottlieb and all the members of the CCRKBA board of directors are not aware of each other's activities in regard to 2A causes? 

Is there any large organization that does not have members who are dissatisfied with the actions of its leaders? 

Why would a person remain a member of an orginization that is not providing satisfaction? This doesnt compute for me.

I speculate that RP was introduced to Gottlieb some time ago through mutual events like the annual 2A conference.  Perceptions were probably made then before a more noticeable decline in ISRA leadership.  I doubt Gottlieb is doing constant checkups since then and they likely only meet a couple of times a year in overview meetings at this point like many boards.  But I could be wrong, speculation only  based on past And current experience with boards.  Do you have info to the contrary?

On 1/5/2023 at 2:55 PM, richp said:

I was a member for a while, but became disenchanted with the lack of vigor. I know ISRA does a lot, and it's not futile. But from where I sit, it sometimes seems like IllinoisCarry does more to advance our cause than that much larger and better funded organization.

Molly for ISRA President!!!!

I'll second that motion !!

I’m a lifer and I called Pearson back at the beginning of the year. To hear what the reason was they didn’t fight back harder. He said they do not have the numbers to stop anything and want to at least be in on the discussions. 

As much as we hate on them he is correct. We have no power to stop what’s happening in Illinois. It’s obvious and  we need to realize that the vast majority of gun owners don’t give a sh-t about any of this. 

On 1/6/2023 at 11:42 PM, lilguy said:

I’m a lifer and I called Pearson back at the beginning of the year. To hear what the reason was they didn’t fight back harder. He said they do not have the numbers to stop anything and want to at least be in on the discussions. 

As much as we hate on them he is correct. We have no power to stop what’s happening in Illinois. It’s obvious and  we need to realize that the vast majority of gun owners don’t give a sh-t about any of this. 

I am going to strongly AGREE with, "...the vast majority of gun owners don’t give a sh-t about any of this." I have had a few customers in the past couple of days who are interested in purchasing a firearm that is going to be prohibited by SB2226. Half have no idea and the other half are just trying to buy an AR b4 they ban it. I explain they should call their state reps/senators, fill out witness slips, or find an organization to contribute $20 to support litigation. Nothing! Not even a lie like, "Ok." It's sad to say but the Chicago customers are the worse. I legally (have to throw in that disclaimer, HaHa) sell firearms to anyone to try to promote 2nd Amendment rights, ownership, and the constitution but I know this FFL who is pretty BRUTAL! Any potential customer call he gets he does a "political screening." Example, "Are you a Democrat? Yes. Sorry but I will not be able to accept your FFL Transfer because your political viewpoints are anti-gun. You came here because you want to purchase a firearm and want me to do the FFL Transfer. Yet, you vote and support the same politician who is trying to take YOUR right away as we speak. Find someone else to do your FFL Transfer." This dude is BRUTAL and if there's anyone who have met him before, you know exactly who I am talking about...

On 1/6/2023 at 2:08 PM, Quiet Observer said:

So, how do you think that Pearson get on the board? Did Gottlieb select a stranger for the position? There are only 9 members. It is not as if the head of every state 2A association gets an honorary appointment to the board. I have noticed that over the years that the Second Amendment Foundation and the ISRA have been on the same side in several lawsuits. For those who may not know, SAF is the sister organization of the CCRKBA. Both are headed by Alan Gottlieb.

The ISRA and SAF/CCRKBA have been close for a long time.

The ISRA often came home from the SAF annual meeting with "state association of the year" or some such,
and it was usually well deserved.  Former ISRA President Don Moran also sits on the CCRKBA board.

I posit that a primary reason we, shooters/gun owners, lack political power is because nothing is done to attract anyone to our cause. We should not be satisfied with our organization saying that “we do not the numbers to do anything “, but then presume they have the power to negotiate legislation. We need forceful leadership to preserve our civil rights and to regain what we’ve lost. Perhaps it is time to swing assets from range building and competitive shooting to fighting the political fires that attack us all. 

On 1/6/2023 at 11:42 PM, lilguy said:

Almost half of the population of Illinois lives in Cook County; 5.2 million out of 12.6 million. Now left leaning DuPage has 0.9 million population. The representation in both the Illinois House and Senate is based on population. The odds are against you as soon as the opening gavel is struck. 

On 1/7/2023 at 9:54 AM, mauserme said:

Another part of it, I believe, is that anti-gun legislators have been trained to expect compromise by folks desperately trying to stay relevant.  That weakness has become a powerful tool of manipulation, giving them political power disproportionally greater than their message should achieve.

Amen! 

I might consider joining ISRA if.. and only if.. they stop being willing to compromise my rights away to "keep a seat at the table."  BECAUSE they keep doing that, I am not interested in being counted as one of their members.

This is also true of the NRA - which also has the problem of corrupt Wayne that they would need to deal with.

Archived