Illinois Dems Target "Assault Weapons", Age of Gun Owners

mauserme

On 12/6/2022 at 9:46 AM, steveTA84 said:

Well, they need to be educated that what the state is doing is illegal under the federal 1986 FOPA 

The way the zombies in this state keep voting to make every aspect of life in this state worse ( unless you want a free abortion or maybe a check you didn't earn ) I have to say good luck with that.

New to the forum. I have been following this thread with much interest. One aspect that I haven't seen much if any discussion on is how this bill not only applies to the state of IL but extends its governance to all 50 states in the union. As a IL resident, once passed, I would be unable to purchase a restricted item in another state and maintain that item in said other state. So this law is not just a state level law but a IL citizen law that follows and controls them throughout the entire united states.

This is because gun laws, as I understand them, are home state bound. Is my understanding of this correct? And how is this sort of absurd overreach even conceivable?

Is there any other home state laws that carry to another state?

On 12/6/2022 at 12:22 PM, justanoldman said:

New to the forum. I have been following this thread with much interest. One aspect that I haven't seen much if any discussion on is how this bill not only applies to the state of IL but extends its governance to all 50 states in the union. As a IL resident, once passed, I would be unable to purchase a restricted item in another state and maintain that item in said other state. So this law is not just a state level law but a IL citizen law that follows and controls them throughout the entire united states.

This is because gun laws, as I understand them, are home state bound. Is my understanding of this correct? And how is this sort of absurd overreach even conceivable?

Is there any other home state laws that carry to another state?

As a resident of Illinois, you could only buy a gun from out of state and have it shipped to an FFL in Illinois for you to pick up.  So, yes, you would not be able to purchase something to have at your vacation home / hunting lodge out of state.

Too often people conflate "gun' with all guns.  As an Illinois resident, you can buy a long gun in Wisconsin, take possession of it in Wisconsin and keep it at your wisconsin cabin or bring it back to Illinois with you.  As discussed in another thread, long guns can be purchased by Illinois residents in the states contiguous to Illinois and possession taken of that long gun without shipping to an Illinois FFL.

On 12/6/2022 at 1:16 PM, gunuser17 said:

Too often people conflate "gun' with all guns.  As an Illinois resident, you can buy a long gun in Wisconsin, take possession of it in Wisconsin and keep it at your wisconsin cabin or bring it back to Illinois with you.  As discussed in another thread, long guns can be purchased by Illinois residents in the states contiguous to Illinois and possession taken of that long gun without shipping to an Illinois FFL.

highly unlikely any FFL's are going to do this going forward if you have an IL address.

On 12/6/2022 at 1:16 PM, gunuser17 said:

To justanoldman's point, you can't do the same thing in Colorado, though, because it's not contiguous. 

Back to Wisconsin, though... Having purchased a long gun at Cabela's in Wisconsin, I know that they comply with the FOID requirement and make you wait 72 hours. Do they do that because the state says so or because it's a CYA move on their part?  Either way, will they also enforce any restrictions built into HB5855?  "Sorry, IL resident, you can't buy that evil black rifle..."

On 12/6/2022 at 1:57 PM, countyline said:

Looks to be set up specifically to rally support and produce propaganda in favor of HB5855.  Not surprisingly staffed by known anti civil rights democrat party members.

On 12/6/2022 at 1:07 PM, Illinois Sucks said:

As a resident of Illinois, you could only buy a gun from out of state and have it shipped to an FFL in Illinois for you to pick up.  So, yes, you would not be able to purchase something to have at your vacation home / hunting lodge out of state.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

On 12/6/2022 at 1:57 PM, countyline said:

01500953-DDA6-4C5C-9AE6-FE56FD0D722B.thumb.jpeg.60019ea101c8865737b6666f1937d2d0.jpeg

More on Becky:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/beckycarroll7

Considered one of Chicago's top public affairs strategists, Becky is a two-decade veteran of high-profile political, crisis and public policy campaigns. She led public engagement and communications strategies to develop and promote bold, new initiatives on education, economic development, housing, pensions, and budget and finance issues. She served as a top adviser to public-sector executives at both Chicago's City Hall and the Illinois Office of the Governor lending her expertise to build stakeholder support for large scale public/private developments and partnerships. Her public sector executive experience includes: City of Chicago Departments of Planning & Development and Housing; Chicago Mayor’s Office; Chicago Public Schools; and Illinois Governor’s Office of Management and Budget. Becky has also held top positions on multiple local, state and national political campaigns, including National Director of Women for Obama on the 2008 Obama for President campaign. She also served as communications advisor to Governor-elect J.B. Pritzker‘s 2018 transition team. She's the founder and president of C-Strategies Inc., a strategic communications and public affairs firm that leads business and non-profit public affairs, crisis and advocacy campaigns, while helping clients get their stories told. As part of her firm’s mission, she focuses on empowering women and elevating their voices and issues that uniquely impact them through her monthly podcast “The Broad Cast”. Civic, volunteer and recognitions have include...Board member: NARAL Pro-Choice America; Equality Illinois; One Illinois; Chicago Area Public Affairs Group; and One Illinois. Mentoring: 1871; and Loyola University Chicago, Inside Government. Recognitions: Today.com 2016 “7 Parents Who Inspired Us”; “Making A Difference Award” 2016, Syrian American Medical Society; WeWill "Mom of the Year" 2017; and Chicago Business Journal 2018 Woman of Influence.

On 12/6/2022 at 2:19 PM, korgs130 said:

I typical statist fashion, the name of the bill / pac does the exact opposite of it’s title.

On 12/6/2022 at 2:14 PM, steveTA84 said:

01500953-DDA6-4C5C-9AE6-FE56FD0D722B.thumb.jpeg.60019ea101c8865737b6666f1937d2d0.jpeg

More on Becky:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/beckycarroll7

Considered one of Chicago's top public affairs strategists, Becky is a two-decade veteran of high-profile political, crisis and public policy campaigns. She led public engagement and communications strategies to develop and promote bold, new initiatives on education, economic development, housing, pensions, and budget and finance issues. She served as a top adviser to public-sector executives at both Chicago's City Hall and the Illinois Office of the Governor lending her expertise to build stakeholder support for large scale public/private developments and partnerships. Her public sector executive experience includes: City of Chicago Departments of Planning & Development and Housing; Chicago Mayor’s Office; Chicago Public Schools; and Illinois Governor’s Office of Management and Budget. Becky has also held top positions on multiple local, state and national political campaigns, including National Director of Women for Obama on the 2008 Obama for President campaign. She also served as communications advisor to Governor-elect J.B. Pritzker‘s 2018 transition team. She's the founder and president of C-Strategies Inc., a strategic communications and public affairs firm that leads business and non-profit public affairs, crisis and advocacy campaigns, while helping clients get their stories told. As part of her firm’s mission, she focuses on empowering women and elevating their voices and issues that uniquely impact them through her monthly podcast “The Broad Cast”. Civic, volunteer and recognitions have include...Board member: NARAL Pro-Choice America; Equality Illinois; One Illinois; Chicago Area Public Affairs Group; and One Illinois. Mentoring: 1871; and Loyola University Chicago, Inside Government. Recognitions: Today.com 2016 “7 Parents Who Inspired Us”; “Making A Difference Award” 2016, Syrian American Medical Society; WeWill "Mom of the Year" 2017; and Chicago Business Journal 2018 Woman of Influence.

B2DA3ABC-8255-4CDE-B57F-4E1E2A294978.thumb.jpeg.3fff52f7dea5a9b450e925ceed14c482.jpegSo basically all this bleeding heart commie woman did is create a tax exempt non-profit that mirrors what her for-profit company C-Strategies does....

14989F54-1798-418D-8B99-238914D17679.thumb.jpeg.9846cbe501012386c289144ba0a539e4.jpegFAF4D620-544E-4846-83CA-E0716E70C2C3.jpeg.09bfb6c7ceff642de170a47473ad9122.jpegShe’s an experienced propagandist that uses her expertise to weaponize political agendas and cultural movements (like the #MeToo movement). We really just need to stand aside and let them pass the most draconian bill they can with no interference from people in the house or senate.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:27 PM, steveTA84 said:

Oregon’s measure 114 is getting spicy. This just prohibits the sale of “hi-cap” mags (amongst other things), and here’s where that’s at right now. relevant 

Very exciting but thats a state court decision though. Does that still help provide persuasive case law across the 9th circuit and other areas of the country?

On 12/6/2022 at 2:56 PM, steveTA84 said:

We really just need to stand aside and let them pass the most draconian bill they can with no interference from people in the house or senate.

I completely agree.  I think we should have constitutional carry. Until we get the judicial system to slap down these egregious gun control bills we should not educate the legislators on how stupid they are.  

Pass HB5855  and let the courts use the standard of review set by the NYSRPA case to b**** slap their dumb ***** 👍😁

On 12/6/2022 at 5:28 PM, Dx54r said:

How are we going to get constitutional carry when we need a FOID to even own a firearm?

As always, the left goes too far on things and it leads to them getting slapped down in court. A very recent example (disregard the EPA ruling on this one too, where they changed the rules so they could bypass congress to “fight climate change”) is Roe v Wade being overturned. What happened there? Well, abortion activists went after the state of Mississippi because the state has an abortion ban after 15 weeks. Instead of leaving it alone (pick your battles), the abortion activists wanted to fight it and go farther. What happened? Well, R v W was overturned (not that abortion was a constitutional right, but it was protected federally) and it kicked abortion back to the states. It (challenging Mississippi) backfired immensely and then F’ed the whole abortion movement in a sense. Apply that to guns (an actual constitutional right) and what the left/dems are doing. After Bruen, they doubled down instead of backing off and cooling it. It’s not going to end well for the firearm prohibitionists 

On 12/6/2022 at 5:28 PM, Dx54r said:

How are we going to get constitutional carry when we need a FOID to even own a firearm?

In my opinion, openly carrying firearms without a permit is about as close to the core right as you can get.  Concealed carry less so.

I believe states that make open carry illegal will eventually get slapped down, and will face a choice of making concealed carry more convenient, or deal with folks walking around with guns on their hips or in hand, as they did when the country was founded.

On 12/6/2022 at 5:56 PM, mauserme said:

In my opinion, openly carrying firearms without a permit is about as close to the core right as you can get.  Concealed carry less so.

I believe states that make open carry illegal will eventually get slapped down, and will face a choice of making concealed carry more convenient, or deal with folks walking around with guns on their hips or in hand, as they did when the country was founded.

👍

On 12/6/2022 at 5:56 PM, Gerlo said:

These scum-sucking Democrats have no shame

Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 5.52.57 PM.png

We (IllinoisCarry) are neutral on that.  It a resolution that will be approved for consideration during the hearing Monday, and will be adopted by both bodies in early January session.  

It's a resolution...

We need to stay focused on the bill.

On 12/6/2022 at 7:08 PM, steveTA84 said:

Moms Demand Action’s favorite state Rep did an article for the Sun-Times today. As expected, nothing new and filled with emotionally charged dribble. The title alone should make you puke 

Across Illinois? She should be so worried about the killing in Chicago.

Archived