Notice from ISP about combined FOId/CCL's

An email I received from the ISP...

This message is to notify you that, after reviewing our records, we believe you possess separate Firearm Owner’s Identification (FOID) and Concealed Carry License (CCL) cards. All who receive this message should have valid FOIDs. As a result of P.A. 102-237, individuals with a valid Concealed Carry License had their FOID expiration date extended to match the expiration of their CCL or their FOID automatically renewed along with their CCL renewal. Regardless, some of you may possess a FOID that – although valid – appears expired on its face. We understand the uncertainty this can cause.
Therefore, we are beginning to distribute replacement combined FOID/CCL cards. Expect to see yours in the coming days. We hope you will find this helpful. Note that this new, single, combination card is not a renewal, but a replacement for your current cards. Once you receive it, simply destroy your old cards. We will continue to send renewal notices for FOIDs and CCLs 180 days prior to their expiration
Thank you
Illinois State Police
Firearms Services Bureau

I just today realized that my FOID expires on New Year's Day, 40ish days from now, and I've heard nothing from ISP about renewing.  I am hopeful that since my CCL has another year and a half to go this means that my FOID is 'auto renewing' to the CCL date, but I didn't get the recently mentioned ISP email, either....  Nor did I get the combined CCL/FOID that was talked about a year ago.  This MUST be Illinois!!

On 11/20/2022 at 3:29 PM, RedWrangler said:

...  I am hopeful that since my CCL has another year and a half to go this means that my FOID is 'auto renewing' to the CCL date, but I didn't get the recently mentioned ISP email, either...

You can check on the ISP website, but your FOID has almost certainly been extended. I leave a small chance for bureaucratic mismanagement and technical glitches, although I haven't heard of any myself regarding expiration dates. There's the normal amount of bureaucratic mismanagement and technical glitches covering everything else.

On 11/21/2022 at 6:51 PM, lilguy said:

I totally, unexpectedly got my combined card today. FOID expired 11/01/22, CCL expiration date was 12/11/23. Just checked my FSB dash board and the dates are both 12/11/23. The change came after I checked the site the first of the month. I never got a letter.

How does the renewal work next December?

Take a CCL renewal class. Go online. Upload your cert and pay the man for a new CCL. (FOID is included for "free.") Wait.

On 11/21/2022 at 7:34 PM, lilguy said:

Thanks Euler, do I have to wait to renew, watch dashboard for notice?

You can't renew before 180 days before expiration. You should get a notice by email, text, USPS, or whatever notification options you have selected. (I got text and email within a day, USPS a month later.) You should be able to renew even if you don't get a notice. Unless you expect to have difficulty renewing (like you moved, changed your name, etc.), there's no special hurry within the 180-day window. Also with the COVID emergency rules still in effect, there's no special hurry after the expiration, either, but you probably shouldn't rely on that.

On 11/22/2022 at 3:37 AM, cola490 said:

Couple questions, with no experiation date on the new FOID/CCL card, do retailers need to check online at the ISP site to verify if they are good?

How far in advance of experiation can you take the renewal class?

Retailers need to use the ISP site. Training certs never expire, but you can only use each one once, and sometimes they change design.

On 11/22/2022 at 9:27 AM, jim123 said:

My foid expires in 2031. Ccl exp next year. Are they gonna gyp me out of all those years left on the foid?

No. Even though there's only one card, there are still two expiration dates (which in some cases may be the same).

The no date does have one plus, in my book... That is when you go to another state, and couldn't get your renewed card on time, it won't show as expired on the card. I know, police, in other states, should be able to call it in, but that's another beast. 

I do not like no date, in case anyone hasn't read my opposition to it..  

JQ

Archived