Militia member accused of threatening to kill people, found with arsenal of guns near Grayslake

GSDlady

I suppose a revolver and a box of ammo would suffice. Even with such a small arsenal, he could be of great danger to family, friends and those who come in contact with him. I suggest that though it does not seem correct to us, whatever arms he possessed is well within the standard definition of arsenal. Our outrage requires no redress from the news writer.

arsenal [ ahr-suh-nl, ahrs-nuhl ]

noun
- a place of storage or a magazine containing arms and military equipment for land or naval service.
 -a government establishment where military equipment or munitions are manufactured.
 -a collection or supply of weapons or munitions.
 -a collection or supply of anything; store: He came to the meeting with an impressive arsenal of new research data.

On 11/13/2022 at 7:28 PM, Flynn said:

Based on my observations, anyone that isn't a registered Democrat.

I met and hung out with some Michigan Militia folks years ago. We got along great and I nearly brought home some interesting souvenirs. They were quite far beyond not being registered Democrats and may have been involved in theoretical conspiracies involving anti government stuff long before some of you were walking... one might call them kooks and not be wrong. Paranoids.

*It was quite humorous when Major so and so pushed a fully outfitted 'modern sporting rifle' into the hands of our correspondent during an interview in his gunshop/garage. I can still see the look on the correspondent's face.

Cheers,

Tim

On 11/13/2022 at 7:54 PM, soundguy said:

They were quite far beyond not being registered Democrats

Not sure what that means, are you saying they were or were not all registered Democrats?  Based on the fact that the MSM and Democrats have been screaming voting Republican is the end of Democraxy, I stand by what I said that anyone not registered Democrat is deemed anti-government as far as the media applies the term.

On 11/13/2022 at 8:27 PM, Flynn said:

Not sure what that means, are you saying they were or were not all registered Democrats?  Based on the fact that the MSM and Democrats have been screaming voting Republican is the end of Democraxy, I stand by what I said that anyone not registered Democrat is deemed anti-government as far as the media applies the term.

I said when I met the Michigan Militia folks years ago, they were kooks, paranoid and anti-government to different degrees. Far beyond not being registered Democrats.

A point I didn't make, because it was in the article - the characterization of the suspect as 'anti-government' was likely from law enforcement and not just conjecture by the press.

The family reported to police that Warrens was anti-government and had an arsenal of firearms, Covelli said.

Cheers,

Tim

So he is from Michigan and didn’t have a FOID, makes sense, as he has been living with relatives and is from out of state.
Anti government, 1st amendment?
Militia member, militia members are actually defined in Illinois, not illegal but MSN reporters probably don’t know that. 

Family member “said he said something”, relative recently passed, two words “family” & “will”, bet there is a dispute or some member wants to challenge the will.
This should be an interest case, hearsay causes Man to get arrested for not actually doing anything illegal that we can tell the this time. 

On 11/13/2022 at 11:03 PM, mab22 said:

Family member “said he said something”, relative recently passed, two words “family” & “will”, bet there is a dispute or some member wants to challenge the will.
This should be an interest case, hearsay causes Man to get arrested for not actually doing anything illegal that we can tell the this time. 

There were a couple posts on the Lake/McHenry Scanner Facebook page that alluded to that -- another side to the story.  

On 11/13/2022 at 4:52 PM, Euler said:

I believe that the media standard is two firearms (one firearm for each hand) + more than 50 rounds of ammo = arsenal.

Hyperbole may not be good journalism, but it's still protected speech.

The picture accompanying the article does show several firearms. Admittedly, it could be a file picture not connected to the arrest. 

In the contents of the article it says, 

"Officers searched Warrens’ home and located dozens of firearms, including high-powered rifles, shotguns, AK-47s and pistols.

Hundreds of rounds of ammunition were also seized".  

Of course, the presence of several firearms and ammunition does not mean guilt.

There are guys on this board with a lot more guns than that "arsenal."  Hundreds of rounds of ammo ... SLACKER!  Seriously, the bond is ridiculous for someone being grabbed out of his car based solely on a phone call from a family member in an estate dispute with him.  If only he wore a black hoodie and torched a couple of police cars, he'd have been out on an I-Bond in an hour or two.

On 11/14/2022 at 5:50 PM, 2A4Cook said:

There are guys on this board with a lot more guns than that "arsenal."  Hundreds of rounds of ammo ... SLACKER!  Seriously, the bond is ridiculous for someone being grabbed out of his car based solely on a phone call from a family member in an estate dispute with him.  If only he wore a black hoodie and torched a couple of police cars, he'd have been out on an I-Bond in an hour or two.

The whack job threatened to kill family members and have a shootout with the police. Death threats, should ALWAYS be checked out by the police. Cops checked him out, he disobeyed their commands and got munched on by a K9, now he’s in jail. Scumbags like him make things harder for us law abiding gun owners. Another whack job bites the dust.  

“Following a search warrant for his arrest, RB Warrens, 49, of unincorporated Grayslake was stopped during a traffic stop as he was leaving his home around 10:40 p.m. near Lakeshore Drive.

Instead of following deputies' orders, Warren allegedly reached into his clothing. That's when sheriff's K9 Dax was released and bit Warrens in the arm. He was then placed into custody and a loaded pistol was recovered, police said.“

On 11/14/2022 at 8:09 PM, Yettiblood said:

Scumbags like him make things harder for us law abiding gun owners. Another whack job bites the dust.

Or he was just a guy that under grief and stress was pushed to a little too far.  Thus I would not be so quick to judge as it doesn't appear he has any serious criminal record while it does appear he has a lot of things going on and happening recently that likely need addressing.

Calling people that need mental help "scumbags" and "whack jobs" is why many refuse to seek help, ask for help or get help before they actually snap.  As a society we need to really address mental health, not name call.

Hopefully this guy gets the help he needs.

https://www.lakemchenryscanner.com/2022/11/13/judge-denies-bond-reduction-for-militia-member-accused-of-threatening-to-kill-people-found-with-arsenal-of-guns-near-grayslake/

Lake County Assistant State’s Attorney Caitlin Valiulis said Warrens recently witnessed his mother collapse and die and that his mental state, according to the family, has declined rapidly.

Valiulis said the threats toward Warrens’ family members stemmed from a dispute over his mother’s will.

Nixon noted that Warrens has a limited criminal history and is grieving the death of his mother. Nixon also said his client is a “firearms enthusiast.”

Archived