Durkin Leaves Illinois House GOP Leadership Post

mauserme

In a move than can only be good for Illinois gun owners:

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20221109/disappointed-with-these-results-durkin-leaves-illinois-house-gop-leadership-post

Illinois House Minority Leader Jim Durkin, a Western Springs Republican, has announced he's giving up his party leadership position.

He made the decision following Tuesday's election results, which he described as disappointing to fellow Republicans.

Until the Republicans in this state take back the legislative branch, then having the governor's office is almost futile, as was shown by Bruce Rauner.

And not far behind that, is the problem of a blatantly politically oriented state Supreme Court. Anyone who stands back and objectively looks at the campaign for these Supreme Court seats ought to be appalled at the partisan appeal for what at least theoretically ought to be objective, non-partisan judicial positions. We can't expect to get proper decisions out of a court that presently is made up the way this one is.

That's a long way of saying that rebuilding the Republican party and its influence in Illinois is going to be a huge, long-term project. If it can be done at all...

On 11/9/2022 at 12:46 PM, richp said:

Until the Republicans in this state take back the legislative branch, then having the governor's office is almost futile, as was shown by Bruce Rauner.

And not far behind that, is the problem of a blatantly politically oriented state Supreme Court. Anyone who stands back and objectively looks at the campaign for these Supreme Court seats ought to be appalled at the partisan appeal for what at least theoretically ought to be objective, non-partisan judicial positions. We can't expect to get proper decisions out of a court that presently is made up the way this one is.

That's a long way of saying that rebuilding the Republican party and its influence in Illinois is going to be a huge, long-term project. If it can be done at all...

Your rite! We should all just go home and sit around. 😔

An observation based upon Election Night coverage on the various media outlets.

All night long they kept putting up map, after map, after map showing massive red swaths. These display were always accompanied with the observation that “land doesn’t vote”.

To that end I’d remind one of the comments of James Madison who stated:
The right of suffrage is a fundamental Article in Republican Constitutions. The regulation of it is, at the same time, a task of peculiar delicacy. Allow the right [to vote] exclusively to property [owners], and the rights of persons may be oppressed... . Extend it equally to all, and the rights of property [owners] ...may be overruled by a majority without property....

In order to try and protect the rights of the non-landowners the Founding Fathers left the issue of voting to the individual states, which in turn, led to some distinctly unfair voting practices. Practices that led to the first issue cited by Madison, whereby property owners were given too big a piece of the voting puzzle to the detriment of non-owners. After a period of time voting rights swung in such a way that the non-owners were as equally enfranchised owners.
Unfortunately, we now appear to have swung to the exact opposite position as commented by Madison. What was clearly being illustrated in the commentary of “land doesn’t vote” was the, equally clear statement that “landowners don’t count”, that they have been completely disenfranchised by the non-owners. The vote of the landowners is now being massively overwhelmed by the vote of the non-owners.

So what’s the solution? 
Our Founding Fathers foretold the need to protect the minority from being overwhelmed by the majority in the establishment of the Electoral College at the Federal layer. A mechanism whereby the minority is protected, to an extent, and guaranteed at least a say in the governance of our land. It works well.

Perhaps it’s time now to push that same mechanism downward another layer - from the Federal layer to the State layer - in order to protect the minority (in this case landowners, or perhaps more specifically rural America) from being overwhelmed by the majority (specifically Urban concentrations).

A good start would be for people to actually vote! Anyone not happy withs the Status Quo needs to be active in election of school board members and dog catcher. We need to make our own bed first or there will never be any meaningful change. I vote in primary elections. My polling place was a ghost town during the latest primary. I hate voting for losing candidates in this one-party state. I hate even more that I feel like I am left alone in the effort to affect change.

On 11/10/2022 at 7:16 AM, djmarkla said:

A good start would be for people to actually vote! Anyone not happy withs the Status Quo needs to be active in election of school board members and dog catcher. We need to make our own bed first or there will never be any meaningful change. I vote in primary elections. My polling place was a ghost town during the latest primary. I hate voting for losing candidates in this one-party state. I hate even more that I feel like I am left alone in the effort to affect change.

You are so right but you are not alone.  I'm reminded of my motto . . . we must always be about setting those brush fires in our own local community and build out from there.

On 11/9/2022 at 1:27 PM, Tip said:

An observation based upon Election Night coverage on the various media outlets.

All night long they kept putting up map, after map, after map showing massive red swaths. These display were always accompanied with the observation that “land doesn’t vote”.

To that end I’d remind one of the comments of James Madison who stated:
The right of suffrage is a fundamental Article in Republican Constitutions. The regulation of it is, at the same time, a task of peculiar delicacy. Allow the right [to vote] exclusively to property [owners], and the rights of persons may be oppressed... . Extend it equally to all, and the rights of property [owners] ...may be overruled by a majority without property....

In order to try and protect the rights of the non-landowners the Founding Fathers left the issue of voting to the individual states, which in turn, led to some distinctly unfair voting practices. Practices that led to the first issue cited by Madison, whereby property owners were given too big a piece of the voting puzzle to the detriment of non-owners. After a period of time voting rights swung in such a way that the non-owners were as equally enfranchised owners.
Unfortunately, we now appear to have swung to the exact opposite position as commented by Madison. What was clearly being illustrated in the commentary of “land doesn’t vote” was the, equally clear statement that “landowners don’t count”, that they have been completely disenfranchised by the non-owners. The vote of the landowners is now being massively overwhelmed by the vote of the non-owners.

So what’s the solution? 
Our Founding Fathers foretold the need to protect the minority from being overwhelmed by the majority in the establishment of the Electoral College at the Federal layer. A mechanism whereby the minority is protected, to an extent, and guaranteed at least a say in the governance of our land. It works well.

Perhaps it’s time now to push that same mechanism downward another layer - from the Federal layer to the State layer - in order to protect the minority (in this case landowners, or perhaps more specifically rural America) from being overwhelmed by the majority (specifically Urban concentrations).

Nice idea !!  But it will never see the light of day.  The "dems/libs/progressives" will never allow their "power base" to be diluted or diminished.

Archived