Not surprised at the idiocy of IL voters

vito

On 11/9/2022 at 7:22 PM, 2A4Cook said:

Face it:  You could take a roadkill opossum, put a "D" on its picture, and Democrats will vote for it.  I give you, John Fetterman.

Tony DeLuca, past away in October, yet he just won over 85% of the vote in PA because he had a D in front of his name on the ballot!

Maybe he appealed to fellow dead voters?

catturd_01.png

On 11/9/2022 at 1:29 PM, SiliconSorcerer said:

There's also more people from Chicago in Tennessee than natives! ;) 

Rural Tennessee is what we are holding out for it's on the schedule in a few years as long as prices and interest fall back down, close enough to drive back here to see the family for the weekend and close enough for weekend trips to the Gulf and much shorter vacation drives to Florida...

On 11/9/2022 at 8:22 PM, Flynn said:

Rural Tennessee is what we are holding out for it's on the schedule in a few years as long as prices and interest fall back down, close enough to drive back here to see the family for the weekend and close enough for weekend trips to the Gulf and much shorter vacation drives to Florida...

Drove through TN (both ways) on I-24 a couple of weeks ago. Very pretty down that way.

On 11/9/2022 at 3:05 PM, TK 9mm said:

My retirement state will be one that does not tax retirement income, ironically Illinois does not for now and has to be 2A friendly(Not Illinois).

Florida and TX are too hot so it's either Wyoming or New Hampshire as my short list.  Loved Wyoming and have yet to visit New Hampshire.

Do not get hung up on a single tax. When thinking about moving, I went on the Indiana income tax and computed my taxes there. Then I figured in the real estate taxes. Indiana income tax + real estate tax was much lower than the Illinois package. Gasoline is cheaper. I think that you can go on most states' sites and compute your potential income tax. Most states do not require a FOID. Many are Constitutional carry. Although it is wise to have a permit, if you plan to travel to other states. I think that the total cost - training (if required) and license fee is much lower than Illinois. All the information is available online.

On 11/9/2022 at 9:34 PM, Quiet Observer said:

Do not get hung up on a single tax. When thinking about moving

I 100% agree with that, property tax and retirement income tax can be a wash or negate each other easily depending on location, it might be wise to accept a small income tax if the property tax savings are in excess of any income tax, look at the entire picture as well as overall cost of living, even something commonly overlooked like electrical/gas cost can be all over the place state to state, for example New Hampshire electricity rates are double what they are in Tennesseee, that can account to quite a bit of money.

Reasons (I was told) an Illinois voter would tell you they voted for Pritzger and Democrats.

* Because Republicans suck.

* Things are bad, but they would be worse if a Republican were in office.

* That is the only way I have ever voted.

* Vote Republican? Lol, are you kidding me?

"Are things better in Illinois since Rauner was Governor?"

* No but it isn't Pritzger's fault. Covid and Trump, reasons and stuff.

* Rauner wouldn't work with Democrats. Pritzger does.

* We just need to get the guns out of the state.

* The government needs to create more jobs.

Believe it or not, I heard a few of those comments from downstate and Southern Illinoiers.

On 11/9/2022 at 9:36 AM, vito said:

Pritzker and Duckworth re-elected, which tells me IL voters are supportive of the status quo. Crime in Chicago, economic opportunities disappearing as companies flee the state, property and income taxes undoubtedly going to increase are all fine with a majority of the voters. Any belief in the essential common sense of the American voter, and in Illinois voters in particular, is now gone and not likely to ever return. These are bleak days for sure for rational people. 

I just blocked a former friend after he declared he was a proud vet, Gun owning Democrat that supports gun control. 

Benedict Arnold wears a LL so a vet.

On 11/9/2022 at 10:34 PM, Quiet Observer said:

Do not get hung up on a single tax. When thinking about moving, I went on the Indiana income tax and computed my taxes there. Then I figured in the real estate taxes. Indiana income tax + real estate tax was much lower than the Illinois package. Gasoline is cheaper. I think that you can go on most states' sites and compute your potential income tax. Most states do not require a FOID. Many are Constitutional carry. Although it is wise to have a permit, if you plan to travel to other states. I think that the total cost - training (if required) and license fee is much lower than Illinois. All the information is available online.

X-Illinois now happy Indiana resident paying a lot less in total taxes and fees.  I think the only thing is license plate fees are based on value of vehicle.  Not great if you own a new car/truck or in our case a motor home.  Still evens out, when we moved in 2020 my 2004 truck, 2004 Harley Davidson and utility trailer license and new titles was a total about $225.  Jim,

On 11/10/2022 at 7:34 AM, sctman800 said:

X-Illinois now happy Indiana resident paying a lot less in total taxes and fees.  I think the only thing is license plate fees are based on value of vehicle.  Not great if you own a new car/truck or in our case a motor home.  Still evens out, when we moved in 2020 my 2004 truck, 2004 Harley Davidson and utility trailer license and new titles was a total about $225.  Jim,

Is it still true that the older the vehicles get, the cheaper the license plates become? 

On 11/9/2022 at 8:22 PM, Flynn said:

I have been looking at land prices over there. Things were on fire this summer; hopefully, it becomes affordable again in some near future.  It's not as bad as Iowa where average prices went up 30% from 2020 (source: https://www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/wholefarm/html/c2-70.html)

On 11/10/2022 at 9:24 AM, jim123 said:

Is it still true that the older the vehicles get, the cheaper the license plates become? 

Yes, the Motor Home was $800.00 the first year but this year $600.00.  Still a chunk but next year will be better and real estate taxes are better.  We live in a small "town" that officially is in an unincorporated part of the county.  Our home is a new modular on a half acre lot as of march 2020 and this year the taxes were $375.00 for the year.   Jim.

On 11/10/2022 at 8:46 AM, roundkot said:

I have been looking at land prices over there. Things were on fire this summer; hopefully, it becomes affordable again in some near future. 

Prices started to climb the day Biden took office.  We have been keeping a pulse on it for several years now, the 30-100 acre 'farmettes' we have been looking at have literally doubled in price in the last give or take year, it's crazy and worse even at these inflated prices they are under contract within hours of being listed, there will be an adjustement soon.

On 11/10/2022 at 12:20 PM, Flynn said:

Prices started to climb the day Biden took office.  We have been keeping a pulse on it for several years now, the 30-100 acre 'farmettes' we have been looking at have literally doubled in price in the last give or take year, it's crazy and worse even at these inflated prices they are under contract within hours of being listed, there will be an adjustement soon.

Not sure about that.   If you look at that Iowa link I posted, there were no double-digit declines in value since 1980s.  Plenty of single-digit percentage declines, but nothing drastic.  Hopefully "this time it's different".

On 11/10/2022 at 12:42 PM, Jeffrey said:

Hoping for 2008, I dont see happening in my lifetime.

Yeah.   We might be at the start of the period when owning something tangible like land is more important than having cash or stocks.  But what do I know... in fact, I think there is hardly anyone who knows what the heck is going on. Not me for sure.

On 11/10/2022 at 12:49 PM, roundkot said:

Yeah.   We might be at the start of the period when owning something tangible like land is more important than having cash or stocks.  But what do I know... in fact, I think there is hardly anyone who knows what the heck is going on. Not me for sure.

Certainly what the billionaires are doing. 

Either which way, I'm wondering where the "molon labe" types are who were preaching the 3 boxes of liberty are.  ("ballot box, soap box, and ammo box")

One box is gone thanks to the steal.

One box is gone due to Big Tech censorship.

They're awfully quiet now. 

Guess Admiral Nakamoto was wrong.    The invasion was a success and the borg has assimilated the United States of America.

On 11/10/2022 at 3:47 PM, BobPistol said:

Either which way, I'm wondering where the "molon labe" types are who were preaching the 3 boxes of liberty are.  ("ballot box, soap box, and ammo box")

One box is gone thanks to the steal.

One box is gone due to Big Tech censorship.

They're awfully quiet now. 

Guess Admiral Nakamoto was wrong.    The invasion was a success and the borg has assimilated the United States of America.

“When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - When you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - When you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you - When you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - You may know that your society is doomed.”

The problem is internal.

Regarding taxes - according to the maps at "taxfoundation.org", the states of TN, AR, and LA are always the top 3 in combined state & local sales taxes.

The map from July, 2022 has TN & LA tied at 9.55% with AR at #3 with 9.47%.

Two years ago, the order was TN @ #1 (9.55%), AR @ #2 (9.53%), and LA @ #3 (9.52%).  Notice that AR went down between 2020 and 2022.

As for Florida, it isn't the heat that is the problem, it  is the humidity !!  Any area of the southeastern U.S. that is below a certain elevation is going to have that problem.  That's why the eastern slope of the Appalachians is more desirable than the flatlands closer to the coasts.

On 11/10/2022 at 9:53 PM, JTHunter said:

Regarding taxes - according to the maps at "taxfoundation.org", the states of TN, AR, and LA are always the top 3 in combined state & local sales taxes.

The map from July, 2022 has TN & LA tied at 9.55% with AR at #3 with 9.47%.

Two years ago, the order was TN @ #1 (9.55%), AR @ #2 (9.53%), and LA @ #3 (9.52%).  Notice that AR went down between 2020 and 2022.

As for Florida, it isn't the heat that is the problem, it  is the humidity !!  Any area of the southeastern U.S. that is below a certain elevation is going to have that problem.  That's why the eastern slope of the Appalachians is more desirable than the flatlands closer to the coasts.

Just for the sake of discussion, my Tennessee property taxes on 23 acres, 2400 sf house, barns, etc are $700.

In Illinois, my 2k sf house on 5 acres was $4200.

Yes, the sales taxes in Tennessee are what I consider high. I also will say I prefer being taxed on what I buy rather than what I own. In Illinois, it was as if they were taxing the crap out of me on land, fees, registrations, permits, etc but then telling me "Hey! You might be getting hit with a lot of taxes, but look at all of the freebies and entitlements we give you!" Illinois was like being in a no cancel contract with Satellite TV, ATT or a time share. I can say here in Tennessee, at least I can regulate my own taxation based on what I choose to buy via retail.

On 11/9/2022 at 7:22 PM, 2A4Cook said:

Face it:  You could take a roadkill opossum, put a "D" on its picture, and Democrats will vote for it.  I give you, John Fetterman.

In 1982, Adlai Stevenson III won the Democratic primary for Governor, but a LaRouche candidate won the Lt. Governor spot. Stevenson refused to share a ticket with a LaRouche candidate and resigned from the Democratic ticket.  Then, he formed a new "Solidarity Party" (to take advantage of the popular Polish situation of that time).

In 1982, there was no Democratic candidate for Governor in Illinois. The voting machines showed a blank space for the Democratic candidate for Governor -- a blank space!

That bank space was not endorsed by any organization, newspapers, politician, or whatever. There were no volunteers, no fund raisers, no commercials, no signs on the lawn, etc. The blank space was not invited to appear in the debates.

With all that going against him, her, or it, the blank space still garnered 208,830 votes (mostly from Chicago).

On 11/9/2022 at 9:34 PM, Quiet Observer said:

I have in-laws in Indiana and it’s much cheaper there, they were shocked at a property tax of around $1600, thats built in the last 7 years, 3 bed, 3 bath, well over 1600 ft, finished basement, 3 car attached garage, on maybe an acre or two with well and septic. It’s out of town and you hear gun fire, people shooting in their backyards or woods, not the gang bangers.
Compare that with Illinoisistan. 

On 11/11/2022 at 9:12 AM, Skolnick said:

In 1982, Adlai Stevenson III won the Democratic primary for Governor, but a LaRouche candidate won the Lt. Governor spot. Stevenson refused to share a ticket with a LaRouche candidate and resigned from the Democratic ticket.  Then, he formed a new "Solidarity Party" (to take advantage of the popular Polish situation of that time).

In 1982, there was no Democratic candidate for Governor in Illinois. The voting machines showed a blank space for the Democratic candidate for Governor -- a blank space!

That bank space was not endorsed by any organization, newspapers, politician, or whatever. There were no volunteers, no fund raisers, no commercials, no signs on the lawn, etc. The blank space was not invited to appear in the debates.

With all that going against him, her, or it, the blank space still garnered 208,830 votes (mostly from Chicago).

I remember that.   Jim.

On 11/11/2022 at 8:12 AM, Skolnick said:

Mark Fairchild, IIRC (that was my first election after hitting voting age).  They made sure Lyndon LaRouche could never threaten their system again by locking him up on credit card fraud charges.  They threatened Ross Perot's daughter by sending him photos of dead bodies with his daughter's head superimposed on them, then tried to claim he was crazy and it never happened when he went public with it.  For the love of God, they just won't leave Trump alone until he's no longer deemed a threat.  Some freakin' "democracy."

Archived