FOID Denial and Appeal for Greater Than 5 Years Mental Health

On 3/9/2023 at 9:28 PM, AlexK said:

I never received that email, but my case took around 4 months from the time my evaluation was sent to the time my FOID arrived. 

Definitely a generic email. I actually got the same email again this morning before I checked my status on Portal which was changed to active / printed as of yesterday.  Here is a pic of email. I got this email this morning, because last week I inquired about my status last week. Shows they really don’t actually check things when emails go out. They just pick an already drafted response and click send. EDIT: In my experience they don’t actually notify you when status goes active. You just need to constantly monitor portal. 

7A116EB2-13D0-4F2A-B62E-BE64B3343DEA.jpeg

Edited by CFREUND01

• 3 weeks later...

I applied for my FOID on 2/10/23. It was denied shortly after. I went to my regular doctor on 2/21/23 to get my MH evaluation. It was sent to ISP the following day. 

On 03/02/23 I sent an email to the appeals email with my DL, a copy of my MH eval, and a copy of my Illinois State Police - Office of Firearms Safety Request for FOID Investigation, Relief and
Reinstatement of FirearmsRights. 

I was approved and my FOID is active as a 03/23/23

On 3/26/2023 at 8:40 PM, hypnos said:

I applied for my FOID on 2/10/23. It was denied shortly after. I went to my regular doctor on 2/21/23 to get my MH evaluation. It was sent to ISP the following day. 

On 03/02/23 I sent an email to the appeals email with my DL, a copy of my MH eval, and a copy of my Illinois State Police - Office of Firearms Safety Request for FOID Investigation, Relief and

For Mental Health Great than 5 Years? Dang, that’s record time.  That’s awesome! Mine took almost 6 months to the day. 

On 3/28/2023 at 9:18 PM, CFREUND01 said:

For Mental Health Great than 5 Years? Dang, that’s record time.  That’s awesome! Mine took almost 6 months to the day. 

Yes it was for a mental health greater then 5 years. I couldn’t believe the got it done so fast. It also got to my house in 4 days after it was active! 

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2023 at 8:40 PM, hypnos said:

I just saw this. Yes, from my discussions with ISP, this SHOULD be the new normal for the 'over 5 years' crowd. Very simple and effective.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2023 at 11:29 PM, JBwheaton said:

Can you pass a background check to buy a gun from an ffl if you have been hospitalized before, even if you have a foid card?

Yes, you pass background checks with past hospitalizations with a FOID card.  On the form to purchase a firearm obviously don’t answer that you have been hospitalized though after you get your FOID.   You’re a straight up Saint when answering questions on form. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2023 at 6:02 PM, CFREUND01 said:

Yes, you pass background checks with past hospitalizations with a FOID card.  On the form to purchase a firearm obviously don’t answer that you have been hospitalized though after you get your FOID.   You’re a straight up Saint when answering questions on form. 

The question on the 4473 refers to the Federal prohibition for those involuntarily (ie Court ordered) admitted to a mental health facility for mental health treatment.

Probably 99% of mental health admissions are voluntary, which isn’t a prohibiter on the 4473.

Voluntary admissions are an additional State prohibitor for the FOID, whose screening encompasses both voluntary and involuntary admissions that have been reported to ISP.

Shorter answer: if you’ve been approved for a FOID, you’ve cleared an even higher hurdle than what’s asked on the 4473, so you should be fine.