Milwaukee police union sues the city over SIG P320

Euler

Associated Press

AP said:

The Milwaukee Police Association says the department-issued handguns have inadvertently misfired three times in the last two years resulting in injuries to two officers.

Most recently, a 41-year-old officer was shot in the knee on Sept. 10. In July 2020, Officer Adam Maritato, who is a party in the union's lawsuit that was filed this week, was unintentionally shot in the leg by another officer's holstered gun.

The lawsuit alleges that when the city purchased the guns in 2019, it knew, or should have known, about the discharge and safety issues. It also says that during training for the weapons, the city "failed to disclose that the P320 had issues with discharging without a trigger pull, and the officers relied on the safety training to be accurate and complete."

The lawsuit accuses the city of endangering the safety of its officers and the public by issuing the firearm. The union is asking a Milwaukee County Circuit Court judge to force the city to pay damages for the officers' injuries and to replace every department-issued P320 with another firearm.

Personally, I don't care if it's cops or Alec Baldwin. If the gun discharged, the trigger was pulled.

The P320 has been in production since 2014. The drop fix/update has been available since August 2017.

The P320 was deemed not drop safe right after they came out. The P365 had terrible primer drag issues right after it cme out. And now, the P322 has terrible leading issue in their barrels. Seems to me that SIG could use a lot more R&D and rigid testing on new products prior to releasing them. 

On 9/21/2022 at 3:46 PM, JDW said:

The P320 was deemed not drop safe right after they came out. The P365 had terrible primer drag issues right after it cme out. And now, the P322 has terrible leading issue in their barrels. Seems to me that SIG could use a lot more R&D and rigid testing on new products prior to releasing them. 

Can you explain the issue with the P365 and if it’s been corrected ?

On 9/22/2022 at 7:09 AM, Lou said:

2qxk8x0055a11.jpg?width=576&auto=webp&s=]

The P365 would start extracting the spent casing while the striker was still in the primer, causing the striker to drag a groove in the primer. SIG updated the striker.

It's not a recall, because SIG doesn't consider it a safety issue. If people have an older model with the old striker, they can buy a new striker from the shop and install it.

On 9/22/2022 at 3:44 PM, Euler said:

The P365 would start extracting the spent casing while the striker was still in the primer, causing the striker to drag a groove in the primer. SIG updated the striker.

It's not a recall, because SIG doesn't consider it a safety issue. If people have an older model with the old striker, they can buy a new striker from the shop and install it.

Thanks for the info..

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2022 at 3:44 PM, Euler said:

Interesting, thanks!

On 10/27/2022 at 4:18 PM, John Q Public said:

That is more likely a timing issue rather than a striker. The cheap fix was probably to shorten the striker, which is a bad idea. ...

The timing would be a function of the mass of the striker (lighter is faster) and the strength of the striker reset spring (stronger is faster). SIG doesn't sell individual components of the P365 striker assembly, though, only entire assemblies. Also neither of those things affect the P320, assuming the P320 actually has an issue.

On 10/27/2022 at 4:55 PM, Euler said:

The timing would be a function of the mass of the striker (lighter is faster) and the strength of the striker reset spring (stronger is faster). SIG doesn't sell individual components of the P365 striker assembly, though, only entire assemblies. Also neither of those things affect the P320, assuming the P320 actually has an issue.

I was speaking of timing in general as in lock and unlock of the barrel as well. ;)

None of my, small guns, large guns or any gun I own have that primer smear. The gun is starting to eject with the firing pin still in contact, if it was designed to do so it's a bad design. I shot USPSA Open with ammo way hotter than any civilian gun, so slide speed is much faster and never had this issue unless there was a timing issue, but I'm not going to argue further, I'm right.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 6:09 AM, Lou said:

As far as I've seen, it has been corrected. The initial release of the pistol had a terrible problem with primer drag, causing a lot of malfunctions. I saw multiple examples of this on YouTube by big channels. I haven't hear of any issues since the initial release, but then again, I rarely watch YouTube vids which feature Sig anything. For some reason, they seem to get a pass from consumers for releasing defective firearms. It almost seems as if they use their customers as test dummies for their new stuff. I've never been a fan and I'm still not. The whole deal with any firearm is like anything else, buy what you like and enjoy it. Many of my neighbors rushed out and bought P365's when they came out. Hey, if they're happy, I'm happy for them.

I had a buddy that was a huge Sig fan when I was shooting competition. He was shooting stock, or what we called, "Production," and he had lots of issues with his gun. I don't remember what model it was, but it cemented my pause of the brand. That's not to disrespect anyone who likes Sig, it's a observation thing with me and I don't mean to be disrespectful. ;)

Archived