Hypothetical Pistol Brace Scenario

Professor Wheezy

So I live in the relatively free state of Wisconsin, but close to the Illinois border.  I shoot at a couple of ranges in Illinois.  If this whole register your Braced Pistol goes through, on a 9" pistol will I be able to shoot it in Illinois at a range?  Or even bring it into Illinois?  Assuming I do what is required of me, is it actually registering it as an SBR or are they going to call it something else?  I'll be fine in WI as they allow NFA items but I don't have a C&R so as to meet ILL ANNOYS SBR requirement. I realize there might not be enough known info at this time. 

On 9/8/2022 at 4:04 PM, Professor Wheezy said:

So I live in the relatively free state of Wisconsin, but close to the Illinois border.  I shoot at a couple of ranges in Illinois.  If this whole register your Braced Pistol goes through, on a 9" pistol will I be able to shoot it in Illinois at a range?  Or even bring it into Illinois?  Assuming I do what is required of me, is it actually registering it as an SBR or are they going to call it something else?  I'll be fine in WI as they allow NFA items but I don't have a C&R so as to meet ILL ANNOYS SBR requirement. I realize there might not be enough known info at this time. 

IF this goes through, you would need to notify BATF of your taking it out of state (something like 2 weeks lead time?).  You're not an Illinois resident, so I don't think the C&R would apply to you.  In any event, not worth the crap, IMO.

* IF *

As a resident of WI, you would need to transport it in IL in a manner compliant with FOPA (unloaded, locked in a case -- your trunk counts). You wouldn't be able to CC an SBR in the car with you.

As I read it, the exemption (720 ILCS 5/24-2(b)) from the state prohibition on SBRs requires everyone in possession of an SBR to have a C&R license. There's no exception for out-of-state residents.

Cook County and some municipalities prohibit SBR possession no matter what. The destination range would need to be not in one of those places.

However, federal law also requires you to notify the ATF every time that you intend to take an NFA item across state lines (even temporarily) and to wait until you get approval.  I strongly suspect a lot of people may find braced pistols newly turned into SBRs to be a rude awakening because of the notification/permission requirement.

I had a C&R when I lived in Illinois and kept it up for 1 renewal when I moved to WI but I never used it so I didn't continue renewing it.  Yeah the whole notifying the BATF every time you cross state lines would be a PITA.  Thanks for your comments.  Basically stay home and find a range in WI.  Uggg I hope Congress steps in and puts an end to this BATF brace nonsense.

• 2 weeks later...