Like button

djmarkla

See those buttons all the time on Reddit.  At first I liked them.  Then I realized that I was constantly "liking" and "unliking" the posts of others without providing additional rational for why I liked or disliked a post.  It was too easy to click a button rather than compose a response.  And I also wondered if anyone cared what my likes and dislikes were.  I think the validity of the posts should stand on their own merit without having a popularity contest attached to them.

On 9/8/2022 at 1:14 PM, I Remember Salvi said:

... Then I realized that I was constantly "liking" and "unliking" the posts of others without providing additional rational for why I liked or disliked a post. ...

This is the reason some platforms are reducing (or eliminating) the infrastructure around "likes." The initial justification to implement it was that it increased user "engagement," but actually degrades the quality of that engagement on their sites. The most violent and irrational content tends to get the highest "ratings."

A single button, "Thumbs Up", would be my preference. An expression of agreement. I would likely use this in topics of interest I have no wish to reply to. Sometimes you guys have brilliant thoughts that require no further comment. It would be nice to acknowledge these without gumming up the thread.

Any dissent should require further comment.

The upgrade we did last August came with an overly complex system that includes a button that can indicate a number of things.  By default it includes "like" and "thanks, as well as "ha ha", "confused" and "sad".  It's possible to add negative reactions, too.  Reactions are meant to add to, or subtract points from a reputation score that would move members' placement up or down on a leader board.  Some posts would also be marked "Popular" depending on the reactions.

When we set things up we felt that this would lead to competition on the forum that we didn't want.  We still hope to be a gun rights organization where we can all come together in that single cause, rather than making it about individual forum cred.

If we can figure out a way to separate the button from all the other stuff in a way that makes sense, we might give it a try, but it's more involved than just flipping a switch.

On 9/8/2022 at 9:00 PM, mauserme said:

The upgrade we did last August came with an overly complex system that includes a button that can indicate a number of things.  By default it includes "like" and "thanks, as well as "ha ha", "confused" and "sad".  It's possible to add negative reactions, too.  Reactions are meant to add to, or subtract points from a reputation score that would move members' placement up or down on a leader board.  Some posts would also be marked "Popular" depending on the reactions.

When we set things up we felt that this would lead to competition on the forum that we didn't want.  We still hope to be a gun rights organization where we can all come together in that single cause, rather than making it about individual forum cred.

If we can figure out a way to separate the button from all the other stuff in a way that makes sense, we might give it a try, but it's more involved than just flipping a switch.

👍

Archived