Will being prescribed antidepressants void my FOID or CCL?

I've had my FOID for over 20 yrs, and my CCL for nearly 3 yrs.  

After the recent loss of our 17 yr old daughter (just last month to a rare brain tumor), my doctor (a family physician, NOT psychiatrist or psychologist) wants to prescribe an antidepressant.  However, I'm terrified that it may cost me my FOID and/or CCL.  I've tried searching this forum as well as google, but it seems like everything I find is either really old, applys to other states, or is simply confusing and conflicting to other info I've found.

Can anyone please give me some concrete information regarding whether or not taking a prescribed antidepressant will cost me the ability to carry and defend myself and my family?

Thanks in advance for your help.

It pretty much depends on what the doctor, or rather his office, reports to the government. I suspect the fact that he has diagnosed you as needing antidepressants is more significant than actually prescribing antidepressants, because it would be the diagnosis that gets reported.

430 ILCS 65/1.1 said:

"Patient" means:

(1) a person who is admitted as an inpatient or resident of a public or private mental health facility for mental health treatment under Chapter III of the Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities Code as an informal admission, a voluntary admission, a minor admission, an emergency admission, or an involuntary admission, unless the treatment was solely for an alcohol abuse disorder; or

(2) a person who voluntarily or involuntarily receives mental health treatment as an out-patient or is otherwise provided services by a public or private mental health facility, and who poses a clear and present danger to himself, herself, or to others.

Voluntary out-patient treatment counts if the medical facility provides mental health services. If the business people who run the medical office are set up to report to the government, they'll just do it automatically. A little-appreciated fact is that doctors don't usually run their own businesses. They may own their own businesses (i.e., they incorporate the business and own the corporation) and collect the profit from it, but they set it up so that they are then employed by the business (i.e., they are also paid a wage) and so that someone else who knows how to run a business runs the business.

I say that because, if you ask a doctor how his business runs, he may not actually know, even if he answers like he does.

So the concrete answer that you seek is: Maybe, maybe not.

I can’t answer your question… taking care of yourself seems quite important. If this gets you through this horrible time of grief better than other coping methods, you might give it a try and worry about the FOID/CCL later on. 

I can’t imagine what pain you are going through. Take very good care of yourself, and the rest of your family. I am so very sorry for your loss. Just thinking of it now is bringing tears to my eyes. 

Take care…

Tim

*After reading this link at ISP, I think the answer to your question is NO - It will not impact you FOID/CCL. 

It is possible that antidepressants, temporarily, in the face of extreme loss is not mental health treatment. It is just a tool that helps you get through this time of grief. 

https://isp.illinois.gov/TypesOfAppeals/FOIDMentalHealth

On 8/31/2022 at 5:17 PM, soundguy said:

I can’t answer your question… taking care of yourself seems quite important. If this gets you through this horrible time of grief better than other coping methods, you might give it a try and worry about the FOID/CCL later on. 

I can’t imagine what pain you are going through. Take very good care of yourself, and the rest of your family. I am so very sorry for your loss. Just thinking of it now is bringing tears to my eyes. 

Take care…

Tim

*After reading this link at ISP, I think the answer to your question is NO - It will not impact you FOID/CCL. 

It is possible that antidepressants, temporarily, in the face of extreme loss is not mental health treatment. It is just a tool that helps you get through this time of grief. 

https://isp.illinois.gov/TypesOfAppeals/FOIDMentalHealth

Um, considering this summer's events, I'm not so sure. 

On 8/31/2022 at 4:17 PM, RyansRights247 said:

I've had my FOID for over 20 yrs, and my CCL for nearly 3 yrs.  

After the recent loss of our 17 yr old daughter (just last month to a rare brain tumor), my doctor (a family physician, NOT psychiatrist or psychologist) wants to prescribe an antidepressant.  However, I'm terrified that it may cost me my FOID and/or CCL.  I've tried searching this forum as well as google, but it seems like everything I find is either really old, applys to other states, or is simply confusing and conflicting to other info I've found.

Can anyone please give me some concrete information regarding whether or not taking a prescribed antidepressant will cost me the ability to carry and defend myself and my family?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You may still lose your FOID depending on what you may have told your family doctor.  Being prescribed anti-depressants isn't what triggers a revocation.  

It takes me like a year to get over the loss of a pet cat that I knew was on the downward slide. I can't imagine how long it would take me to get over the rather sudden loss of a child, and I wouldn't expect myself to be anywhere remotely near normal after only one month's time.  

Just to clear up one part of this; I didn't tell my Dr. anything.  I didn't even say I was depressed, let alone looking to harm myself or others, etc.  He's been a legitimate friend for many years, and we have several common friends.  So he already knew about our recent loss when I went in to see him for a regular check up.  It was actually his idea to just assume I could use a little temporary help and suggested I try something that could be helpful for a bit.  It wasn't until I got home that I started worrying about how that could potentially affect my FOID and/or CCL.  

So hopefully, since I didn't even start the conversation, it won't look like I was officially "diagnosed" with anything.  Either way, I'm planning on asking him on Monday if he knows about any possible reporting etc. that would affect my licenses.  For the record, after doing some research on these meds in general, I have zero plans on taking anything.  They seem to have more negative side effects than positive effects.  I've never been a big fan of all the prescription drugs out there that are mostly placebos anyway.  

CPD matters, but if they want to look at your med records they can because of the waiver, so if they look, even if not reported, they could revoke both from looking at your med record even without a CPD report. It has happened to some of my students. One was a motorcycle with head injury who was refereed to a shrink, to see if his noodle was scrambled...  he was rejected... no flag, no CPD, just a review of his records. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2022 at 4:27 PM, John Q Public said:

CPD matters, but if they want to look at your med records they can because of the waiver, so if they look, even if not reported, they could revoke both from looking at your med record even without a CPD report. It has happened to some of my students. One was a motorcycle with head injury who was refereed to a shrink, to see if his noodle was scrambled...  he was rejected... no flag, no CPD, just a review of his records. 

John, what do you mean "CPD"?  Is that "Clear & Present Danger"?  or is it something else?  

Thanks again for your help.

Archived