Biden Promises to Ban "Assault Weapons" ...

mauserme

Personally I'm of the opinion, based on the Dobbs ruling, that Roe can't lawfully be codified at the Federal level for the same reasons Roe was overturned, it's a state right to decide and is not in the purview of the Federal government since it's not a right.

And based on the Bruen ruling, no way an assualt weapon ban is lawful either.

That said, I have little doubt the Democrats will go full steam into passing or trying to pass numerous unconstituional laws since they are unhappy with the way the Supreme Court ruled, something they are not used to having to deal with as the courts have been favoring them for decades on the hot button issues.

"...and make no, make sure, no one, no one, has the opportunity to steal an election again"

He said what he wasn't supposed to again...

Actions taken by the White House and 3 letter agencies without any consideration of legal or constitutional authority just seems like a day to day thing now.

There was a time, not that long ago, that immediate push back and oversight were present; recently it only seemed to occur when Trump was in office. Everything he did was opposed thru hook or crook. Now, everytime a new fiat is proclaimed, we look around waiting for someone we elected or is in charge of scrutinizing such acts and they are no where to be found, other than on tv. No court, no agency seems to do anything. It is all about sternly worded letters and promises to fix things if they are just reelected. Investigations that go nowhere, buried and forgotten by the next proclamation, scandal, or national emergency. 

Presidents have legal teams that advise on the constitutionality and survivability of an order; I doubt those currently in charge care much. You want to fight us and oppose forgiving student debt? Go ahead. See you in November.

Just like the school loans.  Which I heard a very interesting take on that today.  The radio host made the comment, could it be they trotted out the idea of forgiving 10,000 in school loans, knowing that idea will be struck down in court, then use that to bash republicans to say how mean and hateful republicans are for not wanting to help with school loans.

On 8/29/2022 at 10:33 AM, illinois_buckeye said:

Just like the school loans.  Which I heard a very interesting take on that today.  The radio host made the comment, could it be they trotted out the idea of forgiving 10,000 in school loans, knowing that idea will be struck down in court, then use that to bash republicans to say how mean and hateful republicans are for not wanting to help with school loans.

Wrong target.  They want to pack the court.

Oh I’m sure they do.  But they are probably also thinking up anything to buy votes come November.  Think about it this way, if you were one of the people who though all or part of your school loan would be forgiven, then a court case would say the administration can’t do that, if I were someone without morals or conviction and I wanted to buy votes, then I’d probably be saying see the republicans don’t want you to have a better life and try to project that republicans were simply out to step on the little people.

I don’t feel that way, but just thinking through if I were on the other side, that reasoning makes sense because then you didn’t give up the money but you still get to attack your opponents.

Archived