Jump to content

Same complaint, worry. FOID card expiring.


Recommended Posts

My FOID card expiration date is 11/1/2022. With no ability to renew on line. 

My CCL card expires 12//11/23.

 

On my ISP dashboard the two cards  are synced together with the CCL expiration date.

 

So I can not renew my FOID on line even though I want to.

 

What happens a year from now when my CCL expiration come do. Will

my renew function on the web come active and allow me to renew either or both?  

Will I have to renew my CCL with the class and all to get a new FOID? 

Ive have carried an active FOID for 50 years and at this late date the system doesn’t protect us 100% anymore. Very unnerving.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/26/2022 at 8:42 AM, captdan said:

When you renew your ccl with a class your FOID will auto renew with no effort or cost on your part. One of the only advantages of the new system.

 

As the law is written you are right. 

 

But lilguy has a good point. If anyone has the answer please chime in.

 

When it comes time to renew his CCL and FOID,  will the Renew button be available for both or just his CCL. 

 

If it's not available for his FOID  then you MUST renew your CCL or be in jeopardy of losing both cards per se. 

 

Now would be the time to find out.  Not when you expire.  

 

And I'm not going to make any assumptions on what will happen considering the past practices of the state and the  ISP.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/26/2022 at 9:00 AM, THE KING said:

As the law is written you are right. 

 

But lilguy has a good point. If anyone has the answer please chime in.

 

When it comes time to renew his CCL and FOID,  will the Renew button be available for both or just his CCL. 

 

If it's not available for his FOID  then you MUST renew your CCL or be in jeopardy of losing both cards per se. 

 

Now would be the time to find out.  Not when you expire.  

 

And I'm not going to make any assumptions on what will happen considering the past practices of the state and the  ISP.  

 

 

As I understand it King is a  follows. Your FOID will renew with CCL but it is still on a 10 years cycle. It will renew for an additional 10 years each time you renew your CCL. If you do not renew your CCL the FOID portion of the card will still be good for an additional 5 years.  Six months prior to FOID expiration you will receive notice to renew FOID via e-mail and snail mail at which your FOID renew button will be available. Hopes this makes sense!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just spoke with ISP regarding this matter. I will TRY to explain what I think I know. All FOIDS expiring prior to CCL expiration were extended to match CCL expiration. All FOIDS expiring after CCL renewal date were left alone and will still auto extend until next CCL renewal date.  The FOID and CCL will never be in sync as the CCL is for 5 years and FOID for 10. Every time you renew your CCL the FOID is extended for another 10. However, starting next year each time you purchase a firearm or get a background check run your FOID will extend for another 10 years. These extensions cost nothing and require nothing on your part. If at any point you do not renew your CCL, you will receive a renewal notice 10 years from you last CCL renewal or 10 years after your last firearm purchase. Does this make sense?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/26/2022 at 11:19 AM, captdan said:

Just spoke with ISP regarding this matter. I will TRY to explain what I think I know. All FOIDS expiring prior to CCL expiration were extended to match CCL expiration. All FOIDS expiring after CCL renewal date were left alone and will still auto extend until next CCL renewal date.  The FOID and CCL will never be in sync as the CCL is for 5 years and FOID for 10. Every time you renew your CCL the FOID is extended for another 10. However, starting next year each time you purchase a firearm or get a background check run your FOID will extend for another 10 years. These extensions cost nothing and require nothing on your part. If at any point you do not renew your CCL, you will receive a renewal notice 10 years from you last CCL renewal or 10 years after your last firearm purchase. Does this make sense?

 

Thanks for the update. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/26/2022 at 11:19 AM, captdan said:

Just spoke with ISP regarding this matter. I will TRY to explain what I think I know. All FOIDS expiring prior to CCL expiration were extended to match CCL expiration. All FOIDS expiring after CCL renewal date were left alone and will still auto extend until next CCL renewal date.  The FOID and CCL will never be in sync as the CCL is for 5 years and FOID for 10. Every time you renew your CCL the FOID is extended for another 10. However, starting next year each time you purchase a firearm or get a background check run your FOID will extend for another 10 years. These extensions cost nothing and require nothing on your part. If at any point you do not renew your CCL, you will receive a renewal notice 10 years from you last CCL renewal or 10 years after your last firearm purchase. Does this make sense?

 

Thanks for this information.  

 

I have read and reread what you posted and it makes sense in theory but I will be curious how the actual implementation turns out.  

 

Also the automatic updates for your FOID as I understood it was only if you have fingerprints on file.  

 

Lastly the question still remains.  For those such as lilguy that have their FOID and CCL cards expire on the same date. And that's because this is the beginning of this new program.  

 

Can they renew just their FOID card if they decide not to renew their CCL.  Will the renew button be active for both or just the CCL. 

 

I understand the ISP  long range plan but we're not there yet.  If both renew buttons aren't active then realistically those people that decide not to renew their CCL could have expired FOID cards.  Then what, a visit from ISP to confiscate your firearms. 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/26/2022 at 5:57 PM, THE KING said:

Thanks for this information.  

 

I have read and reread what you posted and it makes sense in theory but I will be curious how the actual implementation turns out.  

 

Also the automatic updates for your FOID as I understood it was only if you have fingerprints on file.  

 

Lastly the question still remains.  For those such as lilguy that have their FOID and CCL cards expire on the same date. And that's because this is the beginning of this new program.  

 

Can they renew just their FOID card if they decide not to renew their CCL.  Will the renew button be active for both or just the CCL. 

 

I understand the ISP  long range plan but we're not there yet.  If both renew buttons aren't active then realistically those people that decide not to renew their CCL could have expired FOID cards.  Then what, a visit from ISP to confiscate your firearms. 🤔

I see your question. Will get answer Monday from ISP and advise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The King:  I got back with ISP this morning. Both the FOID and CCL renew button will be active if they expire together. Renew FOID only and CCL will go ahead and expire. If you like you may mail the CCL 

to ISP and they will remove it from the system but not necessary. I also checked on the  auto renewal of the FOID as per gun purchase or back ground check and fingerprints on file with ISP is a requirement for auto renewal of the FOID. Hope this helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/29/2022 at 10:31 AM, captdan said:

The King:  I got back with ISP this morning. Both the FOID and CCL renew button will be active if they expire together. Renew FOID only and CCL will go ahead and expire. If you like you may mail the CCL 

to ISP and they will remove it from the system but not necessary. I also checked on the  auto renewal of the FOID as per gun purchase or back ground check and fingerprints on file with ISP is a requirement for auto renewal of the FOID. Hope this helps.

👍 thanks for following up on this.  Good information to know.  I have alot of my students asking me about these issues and now I can answer them hopefully intelligently 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

About to enter the ISP twilight zone.

FOID will expire 11/1/22. 

What has been anyones experience 

having this happen? When asked for the card for any reason what has been 

the reaction to the expired card.

Anyone been able to do an online purchase of a gun or ammunition with

the expired but still active FOID card?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

this is still not clear as for renews without prints at least for me.extends, doesn't extend, with prints without, auto renew with CCL renewal. We are going to need another 1/2 just to explain it and a lot won't get it. Also, the calling on every ammo sale is going to make a lot of places just pull it as not worth the time. Oh ya and if something is mucked up along the line you get flagged... great. 

 

I'll be glad when this PITA is thrown out, it's ridiculously convoluted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure why it is being promoted that all ammo sales are run through the state police. It should be enough to pull up on your cell phone your state police deck page showing your valid digital card with current real time security feature. The seller can not get a better proof of a valid foid. This proof is current directly from the state police. A validation number is only required for a private gun sale.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Not sure why it is being promoted that all ammo sales are run through the state police." History.... One scenario: Cell would be so easy to fake, when that happens, and it will, it will be back to cards and cards have no expiration, and could be faked too, so we need to call, or better yet, plug it in on the ISP, so you can compare the person with the picture, to make sure it's them and they have a FOID, or CCL. 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by John Q Public
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/25/2022 at 3:35 PM, John Q Public said:

"Not sure why it is being promoted that all ammo sales are run through the state police." History.... One scenario: Cell would be so easy to fake, when that happens, and it will, it will be back to cards and cards have no expiration, and could be faked too, so we need to call, or better yet, plug it in on the ISP, so you can compare the person with the picture, to make sure it's them and they have a FOID, or CCL. 

 

 

 

 

 

Our picture is on the deck page  e-card with current time stamp. You do not trust the state police website, but you then ssy you will trust the state police website. I don't get it.

Edited by Smallbore
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2022 at 6:47 AM, lilguy said:

I have a FOID and CCL. For the first time in 50 years my FOID will show expired as of 11/1/22. Have not decided if I will renew CCL a year from now.

‘Don’t want hassle trying to renew FOID at that time.

You are worrying about a problem that does not/will not exist.  Foid and ccl renews at same time. Be more concerned next year about coming into the ccl renewal class not familiar, not experienced with your gun. We have too many come into a renewal class failing the qualification target or just make the 21 hits.. I do not understand why people do not train the basics. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...