Are rest stop buildings no longer "Criminal protection zones"?

junglebob

On 8/24/2022 at 6:02 PM, junglebob said:

... what is  the penalty for carrying in a rest stop building if they don't have the CPZ sign?

If the prosecution can prove a CCL-holder knowingly carried into a GFZ, it's a misdemeanor. Three strikes loses the CCL forever.

430 ILCS 66/70. Violations said:

(e) Except as otherwise provided, a licensee in violation of this Act shall be guilty of a Class B misdemeanor. A second or subsequent violation is a Class A misdemeanor. The Illinois State Police may suspend a license for up to 6 months for a second violation and shall permanently revoke a license for 3 or more violations of Section 65 of this Act. Any person convicted of a violation under this Section shall pay a $150 fee to be deposited into the Mental Health Reporting Fund, plus any applicable court costs or fees.

Section 65 is all the places that are statutorily prohibited. As others would undoubtedly point out, the key word is "knowingly." Of course, anyone reading this topic now knows.

On 8/24/2022 at 5:02 PM, junglebob said:

I thought it would be too good to be true.   I wonder what is  the penalty for carrying in a rest stop building if they don't have the CPZ sign?

If you hesitate and don’t just walk in, you may soil the leg of your pants.  Always carry concealed. But don’t go into the ladies box. That’s a dead giveaway that you have a huge gun.  Good Luck.

I think that there are enough exits that one could find a gas station a few miles down the road. If you need to use a state rest stop, you can always balance the need for personal safety vs. slight risk of discovery and arrest. I think that it is highly unlikely that you will need a gun for defense or be discovered and arrested. Is someone going to see you leave the gun in your car? Will it still be there when you come back?

I will say I love my parents, wonderful people.  We met them for a trip out of state recently.  Dad got me started on guns a bit, but their carrying habits vs mine I don't agree with.  When we went down there, if I had to leave my gun, it was in a safe in the trunk, secured to the arm of the trunk and locked.  So if someone wanted that gun they'd have to know it was there, break in the trunk and either drill into the box, cut the steel cable, or cut the trunk arm to get it.  My parents live in another state, not Illinois.  But they carry with empty chamber, tend to leave the guns in the console or the seat back pocket.  Just don't get it.  I even bought them a car safe which I don't think gets used.  

Another story, so we met them, went to the local walmart, this was still out of state, but according to my uscca app and everything I'd seen, I was fine to carry, so life was good.  Dad sat in the car, my wife, myself and my mom walk in the walmart in the other state we were in at the time.  Lot of people just standing around though.  Didn't seem like a bad area.  I get out of there and saw a suspicious looking guy in a truck with music blaring, circling the parking lot.  Dad had actually gotten his gun a bit closer to him.  This was in the evening, apparently the guy had circled the lot 3-4 times already.  I must have gotten the same vibe my dad did, dad is in his 60s and uses a handicap sticker a lot of the time now.  Anyway, I'm sort of watching the dude, and as soon as we all piled into the car, he decided it was a good time to take off and left the lot.  Don't know if he thought dad was an easy target or something, but just found the situation suspicious when we come out and get in the car he split.  

That is how it should be, but not how it is...  If you want to violate that's your call, but please don't tell others because they may pay the price if caught. The, "I read it on the forum," defense doesn't hold up in court.

IDOT reports to JB

Executive Branch= No, "lawful," Carry

Possible they may even say that since it's transportation facility as well, though I think this to be a stretch.

Don't mistake me giving facts as agreeing with them.

On 8/26/2022 at 5:42 PM, spanishjames said:

That's good advice. Way more gas stations than rest stops too, so you don't have to hold it as long 😂

And you don’t have to stop again for gas either lol.  Of course I try not to buy much in this state if I can help it.  I paid 3.22 a gallon today, then saw it for 3.12 after I’d already filled up.  My local area is still over 4 bucks a gallon.

On 8/26/2022 at 6:07 PM, illinois_buckeye said:

And you don’t have to stop again for gas either lol.  Of course I try not to buy much in this state if I can help it.  I paid 3.22 a gallon today, then saw it for 3.12 after I’d already filled up.  My local area is still over 4 bucks a gallon.

What area is it $3.22 a gallon?  Missouri?

Archived