The clown world has coined a new word “violence interrupters”

Flynn

Violence interrupters are street-level staff that works with high-risk individuals to resolve conflict and reduce gun violence, and they will “work closely with law enforcement to focus on hotspots, to mediate disputes and to prevent retaliation,”

https://www.lakemchenryscanner.com/2022/08/07/police-states-attorney-hold-town-hall-as-lake-county-experiences-extreme-uptick-in-gun-violence/

On 8/7/2022 at 8:12 PM, Flynn said:

During that whole defund the police business, one of the cities (I think Minneapolis?) was going to replace officers with social workers. 

Violence interrupters = social workers

On 8/7/2022 at 8:23 PM, Dumak_from_arfcom said:

During that whole defund the police business, one of the cities (I think Minneapolis?) was going to replace officers with social workers. 

Violence interrupters = social workers

I actually Googled it, apparently violence interrupters are generally not professional social workers, but past criminals from the community with past local gang and criminal history and connections, thus potentially allowing them to better relate to their peers and neighbors that they are to interact with.

Here’s what “violence interrupters” do LOL 

https://cwbchicago.com/2021/11/anti-violence-worker-among-3-adults-accused-of-having-a-cache-of-guns-inside-a-stolen-jeep-downtown.html

Prosecutors have filed felony gun charges against three men, including one who reportedly works as an anti-violence outreach worker, after they allegedly crashed a stolen Jeep into a CPD patrol car in the Loop on Friday evening.

Around 7:30 p.m., officers responding to calls of a man with a rifle near State and Lake were struck by a stolen SUV that they tried to pull over for having a broken windshield, according to CPD reports and prosecutors. The vehicle’s occupants ran from the scene, but cops arrested them nearby, a police spokesperson said in a tweet that included a photo of four guns officers allegedly found in the SUV.

Officers saw Antione Jackson, 19, holding an AR-style firearm in the front passenger seat before the Jeep crashed into a police vehicle, prosecutors said during a bond hearing Sunday afternoon.

After the crash, Jackson allegedly jumped out of the front passenger seat and ran. Prosecutors said he had 16 rounds of ammunition and the Jeep’s key fob in his pocket when cops arrested him.

He is charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, criminal trespass to vehicles, resisting police, and possessing ammunition.

But his defense attorney painted a different picture of Jackson, saying he lives with his girlfriend and their two children while working as an outreach worker for CeaseFire Chicago.

Judge Barbara Dawkins said Jackson’s outreach work was “interesting because he was just rolling around in a stolen car with a loaded firearm.” She said he could get out of jail on electronic monitoring by posting a $700 deposit.

On 8/7/2022 at 8:20 PM, DoYouFeelLucky said:

If I were a police officer I would be OK with the violence interrupter getting shot first, then coming in to clean up the mess.

Agreed, let them go first “unarmed”. 
Clean up?

Nah, they got people to pick up the pieces and hose down the streets. Police have reports the y need to write. 

On 8/7/2022 at 8:31 PM, Flynn said:

I actually Googled it, apparently violence interrupters are generally not professional social workers, but past criminals from the community with past local gang and criminal history and connections, thus potentially allowing them to better relate to their peers and neighbors that they are to interact with.

And get paid!

On 8/7/2022 at 9:31 PM, Flynn said:

On 8/7/2022 at 9:38 PM, mab22 said:

And get paid!

Chicago calls them "anti-violence workers." They're gang members funded by government grants, so not so much "past" criminals, but current ones collecting tax money.

I saw this guy on an ABC7 TV roundtable last Friday: "Eddie Bocanegra, Senior Advisor on Community Violence Intervention, Department of Justice; after incarceration in his youth, Bocanegra went on to earn a master's degree in social work from the University of Chicago".  He actually made a lot of sense.  He said that everyone knows (the cops, the neighbors, etc) who the bad guys are that are holding whole neighborhoods hostage -it is a small number of gangsters who do anything they want.  He said no one wants to approach them directly, and only the "violence interrupters" are able to do that.  Not the only way to approach the problem, but maybe it does have some validity?

On 8/8/2022 at 5:11 PM, Rev Jim said:

I saw this guy on an ABC7 TV roundtable last Friday: "Eddie Bocanegra, Senior Advisor on Community Violence Intervention, Department of Justice; after incarceration in his youth, Bocanegra went on to earn a master's degree in social work from the University of Chicago".  He actually made a lot of sense.  He said that everyone knows (the cops, the neighbors, etc) who the bad guys are that are holding whole neighborhoods hostage -it is a small number of gangsters who do anything they want.  He said no one wants to approach them directly, and only the "violence interrupters" are able to do that.  Not the only way to approach the problem, but maybe it does have some validity?

That’s what I pay the local , county, and state police for, to eliminate that threat from the hood. 

On 8/8/2022 at 7:34 PM, mab22 said:

That’s what I pay the local , county, and state police for, to eliminate that threat from the hood. 

I don't think much effort goes into threat elimination.  Mostly they investigate after a crime has happened, and make arrests if there is adequate evidence.

I noticed Violence Interrupters is the name of Tio Hardiman's organization. I saw yesterday how they will have people riding the CTA trying to be preemptive.  

One thing I like about the concept of violence interupters is that it is "doing something" other than proposing more gun laws.  Rather than always playing defense it is an offensive play - "banning assault weapons was shown to be ineffective...on the other hand, if you really want to lower gun violence it has been shown that violence interupter programs have a positive impact..."

• 3 weeks later...

Archived