Hanover Park moves to ban semi-auto rifles

steveTA84

couple of things I noticed watching the video.

1. My letter to the Mayor seems to have gotten his attention about litigation and its costs. 

2. they are going to come after preemption in either veto session or the next session. They will want to bleed us on a 100 battle fronts

Which means our fights in the courts will become even more critical

On 8/7/2022 at 7:14 AM, Tvandermyde said:

2. they are going to come after preemption in either veto session or the next session. They will want to bleed us on a 100 battle fronts

Which means our fights in the courts will become even more critical

Does that mean the state is now favoring eliminating preemption and attacking gun rights locally? That seems odd to me as I thought they already had votes locked up for a statewide ban.

On 8/7/2022 at 10:53 AM, Matt B said:

Does that mean the state is now favoring eliminating preemption and attacking gun rights locally? That seems odd to me as I thought they already had votes locked up for a statewide ban.

Or they see all the lawsuits coming in light of Bruen and are trying to layer the bans so even if a state ban were overturned they may have to overturn locality by locality.

Batavia is smart 

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20220803/batavia-council-not-pursuing-ban-on-sale-of-high-powered-weapons

Batavia won't be prohibiting the sale of high-powered weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines, such as the AR-15-style rifle used in the July 4 mass shooting in Highland Park.

Aldermen discussed the idea during a July 26 committee meeting at the request of resident Bill McGrath, who used to be the city's administrator.

The city's attorney, Kevin Drendel, told the council that he believed Batavia does not have the authority to ban the sales. He said state lawmakers in 2013 removed the ability of municipalities to enact ordinances regulating weapons and ammunition -- even from towns that have home-rule power, such as Batavia.

Whether Batavia could ban some gun sales by amending an existing 1972 ordinance requiring people to have a license for concealed carry is iffy, according to Drendel.

"I'm not foreclosing that there may be some creative argument (that) could be made," Drendel said.

But he said gun-ownership rights advocates would probably challenge a ban in court. When Mayor Jeff Schielke asked how much it could cost the city to defend itself, Drendel estimated it would be several hundred thousand dollars.

"Let Naperville take the buck on that one," Alderman Chris Solfa said.