Democrats Delay Votes on Their Gun Control Legislation

mauserme

It sounds like they don't have the votes right now.

https://rollcall.com/2022/07/27/democrats-delay-votes-on-police-gun-control-legislation/

Democrats delay votes on police, gun control legislation

Package included bills on a new assault weapons ban, to reinstate some civil liability for gun-makers and on grants for police

By Michael Macagnone
Posted July 27, 2022 at 4:11pm

House Democratic leaders pulled back on planned votes this week on a package of public safety bills that included police grant funding and an assault weapons ban, amid division within their caucus.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., acknowledged an internal Democratic split in a statement Wednesday, but said the House may still vote on the measures in August when members are expected to convene to vote on a reconciliation bill.

“We are grateful to all our Members for promoting our shared values reflected in specific legislation that we can all support,” Pelosi said.

The punt comes as Democrats have tried to build political momentum for gun control measures beyond a rare bipartisan bill to address gun violence that Congress passed last month.

The planned package included a bill to create a new assault weapons ban, a bill to reinstate some civil liability for gun-makers and bills to establish new federal grant programs for local police.

However, the House Rules Committee pulled the bills from consideration Wednesday, as the House Oversight and Reform Committee held a hearing on the role of gun manufacturers in the wave of mass shootings in recent weeks.

A handful of Democrats have come out against the assault weapons ban, including Texas Rep. Henry Cuellar and Oregon Rep. Kurt Schrader.

Gun rights backers like Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, called the pulled votes “a win for liberty,”...

Ranking member James Comer, R-Ky., and other Republicans argued Democrats had blamed society for the actions of a few individuals — to their political peril.

“It's become clear that the two parties in Washington have very different solutions of putting an end to the violent crime wave across the nation,” Comer said. “Republicans want to target criminals. Democrats want to target lawful gun owners and take away their guns.”

• mauserme changed the title to Democrats Delay Votes on Their Gun Control Legislation

https://www.salon.com/2022/07/29/parkland-survivor-calls-out-democrats-for-misleading-mass-victims-on-weapons-ban/

Parkland survivor calls out Democrats for misleading mass shooting victims on assault weapons ban

By JON SKOLNIK
Staff Writer

House Democrats will finally vote Friday on a package of gun control reforms following a series of deadly mass shootings — but the bill's coupling with a massive police funding package has angered some activists and gun violence survivors.

Amid possible fears of being perceived as "weak on crime" in the upcoming midterms, centrists in the House of Representatives teamed up with some members of the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) to craft legislation aimed at threading the needle on police accountability and public safety. According to Politico, however, progressives in the House believe they have enough votes to kill the deal.

The chamber was expected to hold a vote on the measure this week, but unexpectedly pulled the bill from consideration after the House Oversight and Reform Committee held a hearing on the role of gun makers in driving the country's epidemic of mass shootings. Contained within the bill were provisions that would ban assault weapons, supply police departments with new grant money, and heighten liability faced by gun manufacturers. However, intra-party tensions on each of the issues stalled the bill.

Progressives, for their part, have taken issue with providing more funding to law enforcement ...

The deal has sparked the ire of numerous gun (control) advocates, including David Hogg, a survivor of the Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, Florida. 

Over Twitter, Hogg suggested that he and other advocates had been misled and argued that the Democrats are "afraid of the effect it will have on moderates in midterms."

image.png.0ef780d3a74f2d8fc8130a78844a5547.png

"They won't have the votes come August because there will be major backlash against reconciliation," he added, noting that the party is considering a separate bipartisan bill on climate and healthcare. In the end, he added, Democrats would be "killing our chances of passing an assault weapons ban in the house."

Even if the House did pass a gun reform package today, the measure would almost certainly see a Republican filibuster in the Senate.

On 7/29/2022 at 11:09 AM, mauserme said:

The deal has sparked the ire of numerous gun (control) advocates, including David Hogg, a survivor of the Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, Florida. 

Salon calls Hogg a "survivor"? As I recall, he wasn't even in the building when this shooting occurred.

The House threw the Moms a bone this afternoon.  I wonder if any of them understand that they are being as political pawns.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/house-will-vote-ban-assault-weapons-friday-rcna40644

House passes assault weapons ban that’s doomed in the Senate

Democrats say the bill, which would reinstate a federal ban that expired almost two decades ago, is a much-needed response to recent mass shootings.

By Sahil Kapur

The House passed legislation Friday that would ban assault weapons for the first time since 2004, in a sign that Democrats intend to pursue more aggressive gun violence prevention measures after a spate of mass shootings.

The bill passed in a largely party-line vote of 217-213, with two Republicans voting for the measure and five Democrats opposing it.

The level of GOP opposition indicates the bill is unlikely to advance in the evenly split Senate, where it would require the support of at least 10 Republicans to defeat a guaranteed filibuster. It’s also not clear if the measure has the support of all 50 Senate Democrats.

On 7/29/2022 at 6:36 PM, mikew said:

I'm guessing I don't have to throw the bones very far to see who the GOP'ers are that voted for this.

And I guessed wrong.

The two Republicans who crossed the aisle to support the bill were Reps. Chris Jacobs of New York and Brian Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania. Jacobs' district includes Buffalo, where a white gunman has been charged with killing 10 Black people in a racist mass shooting at a supermarket in May.

Quote: (FIFY)

"The two Republicans who crossed the aisle to support the bill were Reps. Chris Jacobs of New York and Brian Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania. Jacobs' district includes Buffalo, where a white gunman has been charged with killing 10 Black people in a that racist white supremacist policies made defenseless in a mass shooting at a supermarket in May."

On 7/29/2022 at 6:14 PM, mauserme said:

The House threw the Moms a bone this afternoon.

I'm sickened...yet somehow fascinated.... :rofl:

Aside from that...

I can't imagine this passing the senate....

If it does? Then we are looking YUGE court challenges hitting the warmup box...

If anything, it would expose (further) RINOs....and likely put many dems in hotseats.

All considered...into the rush to law.....I'm torn between an outright failure.......pushback by voters......vs.....becoming law, court case slapdowns that could set precedence to prevent any such future legislation...

I'm told by constituents of both GOP reps that they are not surprised, and expected it.   

Is it weird I kind of want this to pass because I think it would be a slam dunk slapdown?   They got democrats on congressional record saying they want to ban common use and that common use is the problem. That violates Heller and Bruen. That certainly leads to lawmaker intent to violate those decisions. 

On 7/29/2022 at 11:41 PM, illinois_buckeye said:

Only thing about the senate is you’ve got a number of them who are retiring who don’t have to answer to constituents in November.  So you don’t know how many of them will cross over.  It could be they filibuster though.

To overcome the filibuster it would take first, ten Republicans who not only believe in a ban but also that this particular bill is the way to do it and, second, that don't care about the consequences of an affirmative vote or don't perceive that there would be negative political consequences.  I don't believe that combination can be found in the current makeup of the Senate.

On 7/30/2022 at 8:28 AM, mauserme said:

To overcome the filibuster it would take first, ten Republicans who not only believe in a ban but also that this particular bill is the way to do it and, second, that don't care about the consequences of an affirmative vote or don't perceive that there would be negative political consequences.  I don't believe that combination can be found in the current makeup of the Senate.

I don't believe 50 Democrats will vote for this. Jon Testor of Montana (Trump by 16%), and Joe Manchin of West Virginia (Trump by almost 39%) are (IMO) both doubtful. 

Archived