Rep. Bob Morgan To Chair Illinois House Gun Safety Working Group

mauserme

With Representative Hoffman involved, we'll have to keep a close eye on the ISRA's eagerness to align with his gun control agenda.

https://patch.com/illinois/highlandpark/state-rep-bob-morgan-chair-illinois-house-gun-safety-working-group

State Rep. Bob Morgan To Chair Illinois House Gun Safety Working Group

The 58th District state representative, who was present during the July 4 Highland Park mass shooting, was one of 12 lawmakers appointed.

Jonah Meadows,Patch Staff

HIGHLAND PARK, IL — As Illinois state lawmakers pledged to consider legislation aimed at addressing gun violence, Illinois House Speaker Emanuel "Chris" Welch on Monday appointed a dozen Democratic state representatives to a new gun safety working group.

State Rep. Bob Morgan (D-Deerfield) has been appointed to chair the House Firearm Safety Reform Working group.

"I have never been more committed to finding a solution to make sure no other town anywhere in Illinois has to go through what our town experienced," he said. "We have the opportunity to work on creating and passing common sense legislation to reduce the violence and trauma communities across the state and the country have faced as a result of the inadequate gun laws and mental healthcare in Illinois."

Morgan has strongly advocated passage of a statewide ban on assault-style weapons, and on July 7 he was added as a chief co-sponsor of House Bill 5522, which defines and bans assault weapons.

The other appointees to the new working group are State Reps. La Shawn Ford, Jennifer Gong-Gershowitz, Sonya Harper, Barbara Hernandez, Maura Hirshcauer, Jay Hoffman, Nick Smith, Denyse Stoneback, Kathleen Willis and Lance Yednock.

How about this:

We are going to pour over the already passed gun laws in the state of Illinois.  We will then look to see which ones of these we could expect to be enforced right now to slow or stop these types of crimes.  If we find laws already on the books which would impact these crimes we will NOT write new ones just to be redundant and pander to the ill informed residents of Illinois.  

End of press release.

On 7/26/2022 at 2:48 PM, illinois_buckeye said:

Or how about they simply say that they can’t stop people from doing things so allow constitutional carry through the state so people have a right to defend themselves.  Wasn’t it Brazil that had tight gun laws and when they loosened them homicide rates dropped like 20%?

Right? Nobody wants to be on the tail end of "fornicate around and find out". 

On 7/26/2022 at 2:01 PM, THE KING said:

The sooner they pass this legislation the better  

That way the sooner it goes to court and gets shot down and found unconstitutional, the better.  

Well hopefully they can at least be persuaded to grandfather existing firearms in whatever legislation they pass. Based on the latest tribune article; sponsors are pushing hard for ways to confiscate existing “assault weapons”.

Otherwise folks will be forced to keep them out of state pending the court challenges.

On 7/26/2022 at 3:23 PM, Matt B said:

Well hopefully they can at least be persuaded to grandfather existing firearms in whatever legislation they pass. Based on the latest tribune article; sponsors are pushing hard for ways to confiscate existing “assault weapons”.

Otherwise folks will be forced to keep them out of state pending the court challenges.

Grandfathering isn’t good in that respect.  So deprive future generations of their rights?  Also I was watching a video the other day and the guy made the point that in California mags or weapons that are grandfathered for example can be taken.  For example, from what he said there are stories that say you are in a traffic stop and you have a firearm that’s grandfathered that the officer wants to take a look at to secure in the cruiser or verify that it was grandfathered.  Then they come back and say well it was grandfathered but that legally they can’t transfer it back to the owner.  So now you are out your property.  The video I think was talking about hr1808.  But in that bill they don’t want you to be able to even transfer.  Another point they also made was you can keep them, but can’t sell etc.  So in other words he was saying they were trying to use the grandfathered language to appease people enough to where they don’t care, and then restrict sales/transfers to where they get taken out of circulation. 

The recent case made it clear that weapons in common use are protected.  In the 2A judicial section there’s a video about a town in Colorado where a federal court shot down a ban.  So if they pass these bills hopefully they are immediately challenged in court and summarily invalidated.

On 7/26/2022 at 5:14 PM, RECarry said:

Bob Morgan. LOL. Some streets and intersections in Highland Park are still unrepaired goat paths, but HP has money to waste on useless "do something" gun laws.

We won't shop, eat, or even buy gas in the Morgan/Morrison/Rotering "Gun Free Zone of They Never Learn".

Can’t say I know anything of Bob Morgan, but little desire to go to the Chicago area.  I usually barely buy gas here either.  In Missouri the area I work in it’s been averaging 3.83 vs 4.29 to 4.59 here.  In fact a week or so ago I went to a circle k over there where it was 3.83 and my upside app had a deal for 40 cents per gallon back.

On 7/26/2022 at 3:23 PM, Matt B said:

This might be better in the back room, and if so please feel free to move or delete this post.  I'm thinking about this another way - let them pass the most ridiculous bill they can dream up.  The blatantly unconstitutional bill just makes challenges in court that much simpler and clear cut.  Something like don't interrupt the enemy making a mistake.  If they want to give us more avenues to challenge, that only helps us

On 7/27/2022 at 3:56 PM, mauserme said:

He's the guy that may have set an all time record for folks opposing his legislation - 35,900 witness slips filed against his HB4244, with only 431 proponents.

He should get used to this, especially if he gets silly with gun control bills.

I'd forgotten about this. He seems to like the "heavy handed" approach.

Archived