Expect visits from the ATF for 2 or more purchases at the same time?

mab22

According to the article if you buy 2 or more firearms at the same time you may get a visit from the BATF,  and the state police. 
I suppose you have 2 choices, either comply, or they can get a warrant and I suspect you will have your door kicked in and your house torn apart at 5AM?

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/knock-knock-video-shows-atf-straw-purchase-task-force-asking-to-see-delaware-homeowners-guns/
Video is in the article and a portion I believe is here - 

These types of warrantless investigations are known as “knock and talks.” They’re usually a tool reserved for narcotics detectives and they’ve always been constitutionally suspect. Police rely upon verbal skills and their powers of persuasion to convince a homeowner to waive their Fourth Amendment rights and let them in. Unlike this case, there’s usually no record of what the cops told the homeowner in order to gain access to the home.

To be clear, if the ATF agents had probable cause to believe this homeowner was actually a straw purchaser, they could have petitioned the court for a search warrant. They didn’t have a shred of probable cause in this case. In fact, all they had was an internal email stating, “Make sure this guy’s has his guns.”

I have some extra $$ laying around and a doorbell camera.  Time to go shopping.

Actually, it would be my luck that they'd show up when I wasn't home and the too-trusting wife would be like, "Oh, sure, come on in!"

I wonder if it would be illegal for the agents to use wifi jammers to block signals from cameras.

On 7/22/2022 at 9:05 AM, EdDinIL said:

I have some extra $$ laying around and a doorbell camera.  Time to go shopping.

Actually, it would be my luck that they'd show up when I wasn't home and the too-trusting wife would be like, "Oh, sure, come on in!"

I wonder if it would be illegal for the agents to use wifi jammers to block signals from cameras.

I think using a signal jammer is illegal period, of course I'm not a lawyer. 

The resident/homeowner did way to much talking.   There is a fed there, you can't even make an honest misstatement to a fed without it being considered a lie.  They are on a fishing expedition and hoping you say something that will allow them to come back with a warrant or charge you.  

I set up an intercom so I don't even have to crack my door open. 

Your best bet in that situation is to stay in your house and only tell them you are exercising your 4th and 5th amendment rights.  If you are outside your house, you tell them you are exercising your 4th and 5th amendment rights and then go inside your house, and lock the door.  

On 7/22/2022 at 9:09 PM, Dumak_from_arfcom said:

Your best bet in that situation is to stay in your house and only tell them you are exercising your 4th and 5th amendment rights.  If you are outside your house, you tell them you are exercising your 4th and 5th amendment rights and then go inside your house, and lock the door.  

You should also tell them to depart your property and to only return if they have a warrant, so they 'legally' can't linger around and keep knocking or egging you on as that would now be trespass once they were told to vacate your property.

On 7/22/2022 at 6:15 PM, spanishjames said:

Same.

More than a few times.  One was a trade in one buy three!  Same form.

plus the homeowner buts 7 guns in 6 months with multiples. might be a flag.  but the whole kick in your door tear your house apart seems a little bit drama queenish.  there’s more to this than written, but we'll never know.  

Some Sheriffs are taking a stand.

“Ask the agents to show you their search warrant to inspect your firearms. The warrant must be signed by a Judge,” Mr. Songer said. “Ask them if the sheriff is aware of them contacting people in our county.”

The sheriff then suggests telling the agents to leave the property. If they refuse, “they are trespassing,” he said. Mr. Songer said they should then call the Klickitat County Sheriff and report the incident, which could lead to the arrest of the federal agents.

“If the ATF agents do not have a search warrant signed by a judge, and you have told them to leave your property and they refuse to do so, call me, and I will make contact with the agents,” Mr. Songer says. “If they still refuse to leave, I will personally arrest the ATF agents for Criminal Trespass and book them into the Klickitat County Jail.”

It will be quite interesting if it comes to the point where ATF agents are being arrested by local Sheriffs on a regular basis.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/jul/22/sheriff-suggests-residents-tell-atf-agents-conduct/

Local law enforcement just about everywhere, including sheriffs, participate in some federal program or other, for which they get funding. I'm sure they like their money.

Also it's election season.

The Washington Times said:

Mr. Songer, who is running for reelection to a third term in office ...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 5:18 AM, Flynn said:

Some Sheriffs are taking a stand.

It will be quite interesting if it comes to the point where ATF agents are being arrested by local Sheriffs on a regular basis.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/jul/22/sheriff-suggests-residents-tell-atf-agents-conduct/

An interested video where exactly that happens:

Archived