List of places in Illinois where you can carry concealed

vicvan901

Probably been brought up before but… wouldn’t it have been easier for us  Il-annoy ccw folks to put out a list of the 3 or 4 places you can carry than the umpteen dozen you can’t? I just reviewed our law on handgunlaw.us and it’s still mind boggling of the no no no places. At least the citizen that stopped the shooter Greenwood Mall don’t have worry about carrying in the mall there even the though the mall posted no carry - it doesn’t have force of law in Indiana from what I read. Brrrrrrrr

I know the list of places you can't carry seems long, but it's actually a much shorter list than places you can carry.  The latter boils down to "everywhere, unless prohibited".

It also makes more sense to keep that kind of list within the idea that laws proscribe things that may not be done legally.  Turning it into a permission list would work against us since folks would assume they can't carry in those places not listed, instead of relying on the signage and nature of the establishment.

A good reference is the Posted! app. It is 99cents on Google Play or the Apple App store.  It lists specific spots that you cannot carry.  Here is a description. 

Posted! - List Pro & Anti Gun Carry Locations - Apps on Google Play 

You can carry virtually anywhere that is not specifically named in the law or posted. You can carry in the vast majority of businesses if they are not posted. Very few are posted. Many that posted 6 years ago when CC was legalized, removed their signs. 

I am guessing from your few postings, that you are new to CC. I think most of us were apprehensive when we first started carrying. It felt like every cop was waiting to see the slightest hint of a gun and confront us. In general, cops accept us carrying and many are very supportive. There have very few arrests for carrying in a posted area.  Usually, the management many just ask you to leave or take the gun to your car. A CC violation arrest is more likely to be part of some other crime. 

In spite of the apprehension on both sides when CC started, the streets are not covered in blood, nor have the police made thousands of arrests of those who mistakenly entering a prohibited area or printed ever so slightly.

It might be different near the city, but most of the places I go regularly are permissive. My biggest issues are parks, school property (not buildings), and medical facilities.

I have three young kids and live across the street from an elementary school with a pretty sweet playground. My older two love to play there on weekends & during the summer.

My youngest has some significant disabilities and medical issues. She has some type of appointment (medical or developmental therapies) at least weekly in clinics affiliated with a hospital. 

On 7/19/2022 at 6:35 PM, Craigcr2 said:

It might be different near the city, but most of the places I go regularly are permissive. My biggest issues are parks, school property (not buildings), and medical facilities.

BINGO!!!

vicvan901..

I would agree with others..you seem new to CC...

No worries.  We were all there when we saw 'the list'....

While we may not agree with it..its not as intrusive to a daily life as you would imagine..(Of course this depends on 'your' daily)

Personally?  Over the years...I rarely...if ever encounter a situation where I have disarm.  For me it has been medical buildings.  Hospital or a hospital associated building. Picking up..dropping off...visiting....  I had to lock it up to enter the building.

(Even then...I once visited a medical-ish building...Non 'hospital'(Which post all over the place!).. once that had no sign...Pffft...No worries....Heck...been to a private dentist (no signs) while still carrying)

A bit advice...If you do encounter such a situation, I would suggest having...at minimum...a lock box in the car to contain your firearm.  While leaving in a console is 'legal'...at least something locked (tethered to perhaps a car seat or something in the truck)...will at least prevent a quick 'smash and rob'...or at least make em work for it...

Shall I say it?..you know what I'm gonna say it....

Have you taken your Wally Walk?? :D

Again...after some time, you'll get used to the places you can't carry...and may very well avoid them in favor of other places that dont restrict carry...

Good luck!!

On 7/19/2022 at 6:53 PM, mauserme said:

We have our own version of the Posed App, too.  We're lucky to have the developer as one of our members.

I was going to post that in my entry above but could not find it. I remember that it was on the banner on top of the page before the major software upgrade. 

BTW: Is it PosedApp or Posted? 

On 7/20/2022 at 5:31 AM, vicvan901 said:

My post got me started thinking negatively when I read about the “armed citizen” in Indiana mall and the no guns sign there. Indiana no force of law but here at home “illegal and he would be charged. Just grumbling 

Even here I doubt he would be prosecuted. That would be horrible PR for the state/city to pursue charges for someone who just saved dozens of lives.

Also, I have been carrying since CC became legal in Illinois (my license was in the first batched mail out). Over the years I haven’t really found many places that were restricted. I do have to leave my gun in the car at work since they are posted. Most places I go though are fine and there are a few restaurants I avoid now because they are posted.

On 7/20/2022 at 4:22 PM, Bubbacs said:

The mall in Greenwood had a no firearms code of conduct.  They were not posted.  Several malls in Illinois have a code of conduct much the same, but are not legally posted!  Just FYI since we all are assuming you are new CCL holder.

Welcome

Our mall is posted at the common entrances but anchor stores (and the door from store to mall) are not posted. On the rare occasions that I go into the mall I just cut through Kohl’s to be able to claim that they failed to post all entrances.

You can carry legally anywhere that is not on that list of 23 places in 430 ILCS65 (a) and places with specific signage per 430 ILCS 66 (a-10)

It's certainly a bigger list than it should be, but anywhere not on that list is legal.

Different from the recently passed New York law and the soon-to-be-passed California law, where virtually everywhere in the state is prohibited.  In NY (now) & CA (soon), they've prohibited all public avenues, all private businesses, many sidewalks, parking lots w/o real vehicle exceptions, etc...  They purposely have responded to Bruen by making sure it's impossible to actually carry.  

So Illinois "prohibited places" list is large, but there are certainly states with much worse.

On 7/20/2022 at 5:22 PM, Bubbacs said:

The mall in Greenwood had a no firearms code of conduct.  They were not posted.  Several malls in Illinois have a code of conduct much the same, but are not legally posted!  Just FYI since we all are assuming you are new CCL holder.

Welcome

Also, FYI, in Indiana "no guns" signs have no force of law.  So no matter how they posted it, they can't charge the CCW-holder with a crime.  All they can do is ask him or her to leave (and then charge with trespass if the CCW-holder refuses to leave.)

Archived