Biden Says America is 'awash in weapons of war,' Calls for Ban on "Assault Weapons"

mauserme

He's an exercise in missing the point - Heller and Bruen in one fell swoop.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-america-awash-weapons-war-calls-ban-assault-weapons

Biden says America is 'awash in weapons of war,' calls for ban on assault weapons

By Paul Best | Fox News

President Biden called for the ban on assault weapons to be reinstated on Monday at a White House event celebrating the passage of a bipartisan gun control bill, the first major firearm legislation that Congress has passed in decades. 

"We're living in a country awash in weapons of war," the president said. "I am determined to ban these weapons again, and high capacity magazines that hold 30 rounds, and let mass shooters fire hundreds of bullets in a matter of minutes. I'm not going to stop until we do it."

Studies on the effects of that assault weapons ban, which also prohibited large-capacity magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds, have shown mixed results. 

A Department of Justice study in 2004 found that if the ban was renewed, "impact on gun violence is likely to be small at best, and perhaps too small for reliable measurement."

Biden also called for Congress to take up other gun control measures on Monday, including holding people accountable if their weapons aren't properly secured and are used to commit a crime. 

"I have four shotguns. Two are mine and two were my deceased sons. They're locked up, lock and key," Biden said. "Every responsible gun owner that I know does that."

It's almost as if (actually I little doubt it's not) this senile dolt is unable to comprehend and acknowledge the Supreme Court and their power, I swear the Executive and Legislative branches are literally declaring war on the Judicial branch because they didn't get their way, this is an unprecedented attack on the Judicial branch by the other two branches and shameful.

On 7/11/2022 at 9:42 PM, ragsbo said:

This old fart does not have a clue what he is saying or doing. His puppetmasters are doing it all. Anyone else would be charged with elder abuse

It would be even more scary if this swiss cheese for brains old fart didn't HAVE a "puppetmaster" but rather the whole administration being a bunch of "weekend at Bernie's " types propping him up  with no one in overall control.

It's people, not guns. People have changed. We had assault style weapons in the past without any trouble. Now we have shootings every week. Road rage unlike we ever had before. People getting pushed in front of trains. Going crazy at fast food restaurants and on airplanes. Two political parties wanting to slit each other's throats. The question is to find out why and solve the problem before it gets even worse. Yes, I'm sure it's an impossible task but lets attempt it. We won't change people's thinking but maybe we can positively influence the next generation. I know, it will never happen.

On 7/12/2022 at 7:01 AM, RECarry said:

Think how many lives would have been saved in the Waukesha Christmas parade if the van were not equipped with a fully-automatic transmission. We can all agree that no one in America needs a fully-automatic transmission that kill and maim with just one press of the accelerator.

I wonder if this guy planned to steal the vehicle and drive it through a crowd, too.

https://cwbchicago.com/2022/07/man-who-allegedly-tried-to-take-control-of-a-blue-line-train-gets-charged-with-a-misdemeanor.html

On 7/12/2022 at 11:23 AM, Bubbacs said:

"We're living in a country awash in weapons of war,"

He's just going to collect these WEAPONS of WAR and redistribute them in war torn countries like Afghanistan.  They will thank him!  

I think he's already left them plenty of real ones.

On 7/12/2022 at 12:31 PM, howie said:

I gotta admit, I'm a little upset with the "swiss cheese for brains" analogy.  I LOVE swiss cheese on turkey.  Don't know that I'll ever be able to look at swiss cheese the same again😁

Lately if I hear someone say the name Joe or Brandon I kinda LOL and look at them and assume their IQ to automatically be lower than it probably is.

On 7/12/2022 at 6:48 AM, Packy said:

It's people, not guns. People have changed. We had assault style weapons in the past without any trouble. Now we have shootings every week. Road rage unlike we ever had before. People getting pushed in front of trains. Going crazy at fast food restaurants and on airplanes. Two political parties wanting to slit each other's throats. The question is to find out why and solve the problem before it gets even worse. Yes, I'm sure it's an impossible task but lets attempt it. We won't change people's thinking but maybe we can positively influence the next generation. I know, it will never happen.

First off I want to say, I've been an NRA member for about 45 to 50 years.

That said, I don't deny people wouldn't get shot if we didn't have guns.  I don't think we should try to argue that.

What we should argue is that gun deaths by responsible people are actually a very small amount.

About half of gun deaths are suicides.

A majority of the other deaths are gang violence.

If we didn't have guns people would still kill themselves, and gangsters would still kill each other.

Japan had one gun death last year.

Instead, they have people jump in front of trains.

I feel very bad when someone gets shot, but I also believe a lot of the focus these shootings get is to take attention away from the failings of the present administration.

If they really cared about deaths they would do something about fentanyl.  It kills way more people than guns.

On 7/12/2022 at 4:33 PM, mab22 said:

So when people start assaulting people with broom sticks, we will ban broom sticks. Got it!

We'd better hold onto our rights or we will have exactly that.

In the UK, it's not broom sticks, but there is a ban on pointy sticks, or any kind of straight knife, including a folding blade that is locked open, as far as when in public.

On 7/12/2022 at 10:23 PM, mikew said:

In the UK, it's not broom sticks, but there is a ban on pointy sticks, or any kind of straight knife, including a folding blade that is locked open, as far as when in public.

Pointed knives had to be swapped out as well as screwdrivers, utility blades, and as you say pointy sticks. 
I don’t think they can even defend themselves in homes.

On 7/11/2022 at 11:49 PM, Flynn said:

It's almost as if (actually I little doubt it's not) this senile dolt is unable to comprehend and acknowledge the Supreme Court and their power, I swear the Executive and Legislative branches are literally declaring war on the Judicial branch because they didn't get their way, this is an unprecedented attack on the Judicial branch by the other two branches and shameful.

Well here’s the deal I think.  Biden and democrats see the midterms coming down the track like a freight train and they are stuck in the middle of the tracks in an election cycle where their party would lose seats normally to begin with.  It looks like they are desperately trying to find any issue to gin up their base and when they are having trouble doing so they may be trying to create issues by complaining about how the court is limiting them etc. 

Case in point, they were struck down on abortion.  From what I was hearing on the radio yesterday, they are trying to say being pregnant is a public health emergency so that they can then try to use that to make abortion more accessible and to see if they can go around the states even though SCOTUS said that right belongs to the states.  

On 7/13/2022 at 12:22 AM, illinois_buckeye said:

Well here’s the deal I think.  Biden and democrats see the midterms coming down the track like a freight train and they are stuck in the middle of the tracks in an election cycle where their party would lose seats normally to begin with.  It looks like they are desperately trying to find any issue to gin up their base and when they are having trouble doing so they may be trying to create issues by complaining about how the court is limiting them etc. 

I have no doubt much of it is election hyperbole and that is expected for elected officials.  But what I consider unprecedented is that the ATF basically saying they will fight the court on this based on them moving forward with more regulations, same as the DoJ saying they will fight Dobbs.  These alphabet agencies are supposed to be neutral (we all know they are not, but they are supposed to be) they are no longer even pretending to be neutral right now, in the past they would have generally at least said we will abide by the courts decision and enforce the courts ruling, now they are actually publicly defying the court.  The lack of DoJ interesting in even following the law and stopping the harassment of the Supreme Court Justices alone is beyond shameful.

On 7/13/2022 at 12:37 AM, Flynn said:

I have no doubt much of it is election hyperbole and that is expected for elected officials.  But what I consider unprecedented is that the ATF basically saying they will fight the court on this based on them moving forward with more regulations, same as the DoJ saying they will fight Dobbs.  These alphabet agencies are supposed to be neutral (we all know they are not, but they are supposed to be) they are no longer even pretending to be neutral right now, in the past they would have generally at least said we will abide by the courts decision and enforce the courts ruling, now they are actually publicly defying the court.  The lack of DoJ interesting in even following the law and stopping the harassment of the Supreme Court Justices alone is beyond shameful.

Well of course.  The democrats put them in their positions.  Protect the hand that feeds you right?  But I share your sentiment.  It seems like if people didn’t agree in years past they at least respected the court.  Personally I think the DOJ should be under the courts control or at least give them an enforcement arm such as the US Marshals for example that they are in direct control of, similar to how the county sheriff answers to a judge on the local level.

And they switched to throwing acid on people.  Next they need to ban carrying any glass jars I guess.  

OH wait the new environmental movement is to return to all glass and eliminate plastic. 

I think they have also proven NOT using chemical pesticides kills people to, it's called starvation. 

That consequences thing still baffles lawmakers. 

"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means..."

This claim that we're "awash" in weapons actually works against them under the "commonly owned" standard set in Heller.

Just saying...

Knife crime is on an increase in England or why else would they be discussing it? https://aoav.org.uk/2022/knife-crime-in-london-a-summary-of-an-experts-round-table/

On 7/13/2022 at 1:17 PM, MrTriple said:

"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means..."

This claim that we're "awash" in weapons actually works against them under the "commonly owned" standard set in Heller.

Just saying...

That is actually precedent from Miller, that was stressed in Heller again because Miller was being ignored, now we have Bruen stressing it yet again for the dense judges and legislatures that as of now still appear to be ignoring it.

Archived