SB 2510 gaining traction. Will “assault” rifles be banned soon?

vk60187

If the assault weapons ban passes, and we can't get the Courts to see things our way, would CA legal guns work in IL after the ban or is the language such that even CA rifles won't be legal?

If CA legal rifles will not be banned, then the whole ban is pointless, as the YouTube video above shows, since reloading "fixed" mags is pretty easy with this setup.

On 7/10/2022 at 7:05 PM, vk60187 said:

If the assault weapons ban passes, and we can't get the Courts to see things our way, would CA legal guns work in IL after the ban or is the language such that even CA rifles won't be legal?

If CA legal rifles will not be banned, then the whole ban is pointless, as the YouTube video above shows, since reloading "fixed" mags is pretty easy with this setup.

I think right now it's best to not pick apart their proposed law looking for holes and flaws in it, why give them the chance to patch those holes?

IMO the law is as flat out unconstitutional under Bruen as you can get and any court worth it's weight (I know we can argue not many of them in Illinois, but we will have to see if Bruen drove home the message they ignored in Heller) will issue an injunction from enforcement , we just have to bide our time and play the game.

On 7/20/2022 at 10:32 AM, Matt B said:

Tribune has an article up today (can’t link or quote due to paywall that’s blocking me now) where legislators are talking about implementing a buyback or outright confiscation in the bill instead of grandfathering.

After Uvalde I have basically ZERO fear of the gubmint storm troopers ability to enforce anything.

Full article text:

Proposed legislation calling for a statewide ban on assault weapons originally introduced in the Illinois General Assembly more than 16 months ago has new life after a gunman killed seven people and wounded dozens more at Highland Park’s Fourth of July Parade.
However, complications remain.
Between July 6 and Thursday, 13 additional sponsors joined the author, state Sen. Omar Aquino, D-Chicago, and one other sponsor officially supporting the bill, according to the General Assembly website.
Those new sponsors include three from Lake County: state senators Melinda Bush, D-Grayslake, Adriane Johnson, D-Buffalo Grove, and Julie Morrison, D-Lake Forest.
The proposed legislation makes possession of an assault weapon illegal in Illinois unless the gun was both owned before the bill becomes law and is registered with the State Police.
Similar legislation introduced early this year by state Rep. Maura Hirschauer, D-Batavia, had but one co-sponsor before the Highland Park massacre. Between July 6 and Thursday support grew as 45 more representatives joined, including five from Lake County, according to the website.
“We cannot continue to sit silently while people’s parents, children, and friends get shot to death in masses at parades, grocery stores, and schools,” Aquino said in a news release Tuesday. “I can’t fathom living in a state where my children have to constantly fear for their lives on a daily basis.”
With the state legislature not scheduled to meet before the fall, Aquino said if a special session suggested in the “coming months” by Gov. J.B. Pritzker and legislative leaders is held, he will explore the possibility of pursuing a vote on the assault weapon ban at that time.
Morrison said she is hopeful the bill can become law in the next few months. It will likely require negotiating between different senators and representatives before a final product reaches the governor’s desk. She is hoping for a special session in September.
“We are looking at putting together a deal as a package,” Morrison said. “We’re looking at a lot of things to get a signed bill. I keep getting calls every day to please, please, please get this done.”
State Rep. Rita Mayfield, D-Waukegan, became a co-sponsor of the house bill on July 6 along with 22 of her colleagues, according to the website. She said a bigger challenge than securing votes for passage is getting the existing assault weapons out of circulation.
Mayfield said potential solutions would require surrender of the guns, or putting a provision in the law allowing the state to purchase the existing assault weapons from the lawful owners. Both ideas pose obstacles. She said the addition of the co-sponsors makes passage likely.
“We need a process,” Mayfield said. “We need an effective way to get them off the street. The law as it is, is a good first step. How do you take a gun from someone who has legally purchased it? Should it include a provision to purchase them? How do we find out how many there are?”
State Rep. Bob Morgan, D-Deerfield, is another co-sponsor. He said there are circumstances where police can lawfully seize weapons, including assault weapons. Provisions can be included in the legislation which will not only ban possession of the weapons, but reduce the number in Illinois as well.
Morgan said he was in the staging area for the Highland Park parade, three blocks from the gunman, when he heard the shots. After making sure his family was safe, he ran to the scene to help.
“The shooting was over,” Morgan said. “There were people laying there. There weren’t enough ambulances.”
Joining Mayfield and Morgan as co-sponsors from Lake County are state representatives Dan Didech, D- Buffalo Grove, Joyce Mason, D-Gurnee, and Sam Yingling, D-Grayslake.
Johnson said while a nationwide assault weapon ban is preferable, passing one for Illinois is within her control and will help. She also wants to explore legislation to make gun manufacturers legally accountable for the carnage their products produce based in part on their marketing.
“They are grooming kids to be the next generation of gun enthusiasts,” Johnson said. “Mass shootings are really domestic terrorism. Gun manufacturers and dealers are contributing to that.”

Special session in September?  I expected them to move faster than that, these politicians were calling for bans before the shooter was even captured.  I have nothing polite to say about people that amazingly believe that making criminals out of gun owners will reduce violent crime.  🙄   I wonder if any of the cases that were vacated and remanded following Bruen will have been heard by the courts by September?

Do they even have the votes? On paper, maybe. But is this politically expedient in an election year?

Plus, the momentum will be gone by September. I mean, the momentum's already dropped.

On 7/20/2022 at 1:05 PM, tricolor said:

Special session in September?  I expected them to move faster than that, these politicians were calling for bans before the shooter was even captured.  I have nothing polite to say about people that amazingly believe that making criminals out of gun owners will reduce violent crime.  🙄   I wonder if any of the cases that were vacated and remanded following Bruen will have been heard by the courts by September?

There is a California AWB case in the 9th right now; timing will depend greatly on whether they decide to retry the entire case at the district court or just handle at the circuit level. Could be resolved in months, could be years. We just don’t know yet. 

On 7/20/2022 at 1:13 PM, MrTriple said:

Do they even have the votes? On paper, maybe. But is this politically expedient in an election year?

Plus, the momentum will be gone by September. I mean, the momentum's already dropped.

I don’t know what to think anymore. I am stunned that outright gun confiscation is being discussed, particularly this close to an election year that looks favorable for republicans.  

On 7/20/2022 at 1:23 PM, Matt B said:

I don’t know what to think anymore. I am stunned that outright gun confiscation is being discussed, particularly this close to an election year that looks favorable for republicans.  

As I mentioned elsewhere, the gun control movement is very angry and confused right now. A lot of this is just them acting out, which includes them saying things they otherwise wouldn't.

Plus, the momentum's gonna keep dropping. How much willpower will they have in two month's time?

On 7/20/2022 at 1:22 PM, Matt B said:

There is a California AWB case in the 9th right now; timing will depend greatly on whether they decide to retry the entire case at the district court or just handle at the circuit level. Could be resolved in months, could be years. We just don’t know yet. 

There's also the Bianchi case in Maryland which was GVR'ed by SCOTUS. IMO, expect action on that case before the end of the year.

We also have the Viramontes case in Cook County, which might get a hearing before the end of the year. New filings are gonna be due either by the middle of August or September depending on what the judge says. Cook is pushing for a September date, but the plaintiff's counsel wants an August date.

But Bianchi is critical. If the Fourth Circuit moves to strike Maryland's AWB, I strongly believe that other circuits will take that as a sign from SCOTUS.

On 7/20/2022 at 1:23 PM, Matt B said:

Another thing: Part of this is confused desperation. They want to enact something, but don't understand that the law isn't on their side. Now combine that with an understandable outrage over Highland Park and a desire to do something about it, and you get insane policies that, if enacted, will get struck down by the courts.

Nothing about what they're doing is based on logic. It's pure emotion.

On 7/21/2022 at 8:27 AM, Jeffrey said:

If you saw these people you would understand that they've probably been on the strike for most of their lives.

And maybe not by choice LOL.  

I’m not sure where it was but there was apparently a video clip yesterday of Ron DeSantis and they asked him if he would rather be stranded on an island with Biden or AOC.  Apparently he then asked if he could just end it all.

Aha, found the clip.

https://hannity.com/media-room/id-rather-die-desantis-asked-if-hed-rather-be-stuck-on-an-island-with-biden-or-aoc/

On 7/20/2022 at 9:40 AM, yurimodin said:

After Uvalde I have basically ZERO fear of the gubmint storm troopers ability to enforce anything.

Actually, that makes me MORE likely to fear.

Remember, government has ZERO obligation to protect anyone.  Supreme Court ruled that.

But if the government wants to use the police for Totalitarian purposes, that will happen.   

For two big reasons:

1) Remember, the 10th Amendment has been interpreted to say "The federal government cannot become totalitarian but the states can"

and

2) COVID nonsense.   You've seen how states have become totalitarian there.   This is a nice dress rehearsal for the future world wide totalitarianism.

On 7/8/2022 at 4:07 PM, junglebob said:

What should we call them? Maybe self defense rifles?

I remember several years ago it came out that when the federal government issued them to employees, they were called "Personal Defense Rifle" or something along those lines. To refer to them as the same thing that they're officially titled is poetic to me. 😆

On 7/22/2022 at 11:21 AM, SiliconSorcerer said:

I expect near martial law in Illinois by November, they are already oiling up the buttons. 

Truth, JB just the other day did his 2+ year subscription renewal of the "Covid Disaster Proclamation" again, you only do that when you don't want to lose the powers it grants and expect to use the powers it grants!

On 7/10/2022 at 12:16 PM, Dumak_from_arfcom said:

The GOP has the benefit of what I like to call a nationalized local election and it is coming in a mid-term cycle that has almost always costs the majority party their majority.    

This means that Biden's policies will be voted on at a local level.  The Texas special election that flipped a US House seat that had been blue for over 100 years is a good indicator of just how big an election can be when nation wide issues top the concerns of the voters.  In the Texas election, Flores flipped a historic blue seat that Biden won by 5pts, and she won it by 6. That is a huge swing.  Go across the country and spot the GOP +11 on each race and there could be a wave the likes of which have never been seen.   

Normally I worry about what the democrats will do in a lame duck session.  I'm more worried because they know they are going to get wiped the F out, and they are going to move earlier to get bills passed now, because they can see they'll be much weaker after November.  

Just remember even though the Republicans will be in control of the congress, somehow Democrats will hold power, the level of their screaming and tantrums, sit ins, etc will get really wild. 

On 7/25/2022 at 9:27 PM, mab22 said:

Just remember even though the Republicans will be in control of the congress, somehow Democrats will hold power, the level of their screaming and tantrums, sit ins, etc will get really wild. 

If the GOP were to gain power the Democrats will still hold power because the Democrats and the Media are one and the same and the media is overwhelmingly liberal. 

What is amazing is that a recent Gallup poll showed only 16% of those polled trust print journalist and only 11% trust TV journalists 

E7C6FCBB-8B22-43DB-8FC6-F4CF0193219D.jpeg

On 7/25/2022 at 9:35 PM, Lou said:

If the GOP were to gain power the Democrats will still hold power because the Democrats and the Media are one and the same and the media is overwhelmingly liberal. 

What is amazing is that a recent Gallup poll showed only 16% of those polled trust print journalist and only 11% trust TV journalists 

E7C6FCBB-8B22-43DB-8FC6-F4CF0193219D.jpeg

I Agree 100%.

Question is, what is the GOP going to do about it, put on a pouty face and kick stones going “aww shucks deamonrts” cause they were called a racist, or some other claim? Or are they going to figure out how to hit back, and HARD!?

They SHOULD NOT bring out Liz Cheney or Kinsinger.

Archived