Recommend home security camera system?

Illinois Sucks

A lot depends on your specific needs, existing computing/network environment, degree of technical skill, and time and $$ available to spend on the project. This is kind of like asking what’s the best gun, or car, etc. The possibilities run the gamut from complete turnkey installation to Big Bag O’ Cameras that you install and configure yourself.

On 7/7/2022 at 9:59 AM, Hap said:

A lot depends on your specific needs, existing computing/network environment, degree of technical skill, and time and $$ available to spend on the project. This is kind of like asking what’s the best gun, or car, etc. The possibilities run the gamut from complete turnkey installation to Big Bag O’ Cameras that you install and configure yourself.

I would like to deter vandalism and possible crime around my home.  In addition to what is happening in this world, we also have a neighbor with dementia who has been going into unlocked cars, garages and even houses and taking stuff.  If something were to happen, it would be nice to have some clear video of what transpired.  I don't want a service that monitors or stores the video.  I would like to keep that all in-house.  I can do / install anything that has instructions.  I think I would like to supplement the cameras with motion sensing lights also.

For what you're describing, yes, Arlo is a decent place to start. Battery life appears to be pretty good, the cameras are relatively small and discreet, and they appear to be easy enough to use that you won't have to make a second career out of managing the system. There are plenty of good YouTube reviews to give you an idea what you're getting into. Good luck!

Just an add to the Thread I use Wyze, wince it doesnt upload to Google. Thats just a me thing, but I have nothing in my house that uploads there.  

also the cameras are cheap and decent. And reliable so far. My oldest is like 3-4 years old maybe older it was 20-25 bucks. They are a little more these days but decent. 

On 7/8/2022 at 12:11 PM, Hatchet said:

I have a 5mp reolink system at home and a 4k Lorex system at my lodge. All run via POE. which is a good way to go if you can run the cables. The reolinks are a little cheaper and i do like their app better than the Lorex app.

Reolink is amazing, Lorex is good too,  both have 4k systems

I have 2 Reolink  POE systems each has 4 cameras and DVR which gives me 360 coverage of my property

You can watch live video from anywhere and they record on HDD/DVR

• 3 months later...

Just had to do some home security repair. Over the years I have accumulated a hodgepodge of systems. My old cctv systems just got new dvrs. They are the least trouble having 24 recording. The new dvrs are internet capable using ethernet cable and phone app. First wifi cameras were Wansview bought through Amazon. They are finicky. Ring now dominates but false alarms are irritating. Being able to check on property while on vacation is nice.

Edited by Smallbore

I won't say any manufacturer, because there are really only about 3 re-branded as everything else. I like POE, one wire and all my cameras are good enough for facial ID and able to read plates. 

If you think you need 4 cameras then buy a system that supports 8. Do not by wifi cams, if you do make sure it's only one or two and make sure non of your cams need the internet or cloud. Amcrest has a very ring like doorcam and you can use a card or nvr for recording. I would also highly advise you to isolate your cameras from the internet. I could go on for poages, but you need to do some searching and IPCAM that was linked is a great resource.

• 4 months later...
On 10/27/2022 at 5:47 PM, howie said:

We've had a couple wyze cameras up for not quite a month.  So far, so good.....not the best, but it's certainly better than what we had before, which  was nothing at all.  Will likely add more.

My Wyze cameras have declined quite a bit in the recent months.  The hardware still works fine,  but the app is constantly now trying to get me to sign up for thier paid service.  Like when there’s an alert notification, instead of immediately showing me the camera when there’s motion detected, it first wants to show me an advertisement.

On 7/7/2022 at 11:03 AM, Illinois Sucks said:

I would like to deter vandalism and possible crime around my home.  In addition to what is happening in this world, we also have a neighbor with dementia who has been going into unlocked cars, garages and even houses and taking stuff.  If something were to happen, it would be nice to have some clear video of what transpired.  I don't want a service that monitors or stores the video.  I would like to keep that all in-house.  I can do / install anything that has instructions.  I think I would like to supplement the cameras with motion sensing lights also.

Cameras themselves are all over the board as far specs, use cases etc...

BUT...as software....and for keeping things in-house?

Blue Iris is your answer.  Great features...easy to use...and supports Gobs of cameras out of the box.

I like my Arlo doorbell but it has demonstrated a couple issues.

1. When using a Galaxy S10, you can't be heard when trying to speak through the doorbell

2. Sometimes when it's extremely cold outside you can't connect with your device.

Otherwise it's a good camera, good picture, reliable.

I wish the notifications were more instant, there's a lag between someone actually being at your door and your device being notified.

On 3/1/2023 at 9:11 AM, ITguy1686 said:

I use the amazon blink system. The outdoor cameras are battery powered so no need to run any wiring. I installed them about a year and a half ago and the batteries are still running strong. They only record on motion and include audio which is really all I need.

Had my Blink cameras about two years,still on original batteries. Good enough for my needs.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...