UPS refusing to ship Brownell's parts (and others)

Euler

Second Amendment Foundation

SAF said:

United Parcel Service is terminating the accounts of gun dealers across the country. Any packages currently in the UPS system may be "seized and destroyed."

Retail giant Brownells told their customers in a Facebook post Friday that they too were terminated by UPS.

"Heads up! UPS has made the decision to no longer accept Brownells packages," the post states. "We are working to put an email together to send to customers who have their account defaulted to UPS, or who have open orders with UPS selected as the carrier."

Brownells did not specify in their post the reason why UPS terminated their account.

UPS' Media Relations personnel did not return calls or emails seeking comment for this story.

When I click the link to Brownell's FB post, I get "Content not found."

On 7/1/2022 at 11:18 PM, cls74 said:

Sounds a bit fishy actually, is their actually a "Customer Compliance" department at UPS?

Edit, I cannot find that email adress anywhere. 

Brownell's FB page doesn't list a post, so Brownell's deleted it or FB deleted it or SAF was looking at the wrong page. I'm disinclined to think SAF lied.

Considering the legal implications for items already in shipment, I could see Brownell's deleting it pending a dispute resolution.

I could also imagine a rogue UPS employee (or random prankster) sending out unauthorized notices. The Friday before a holiday weekend would be a good time for that.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:32 PM, Euler said:

Brownell's FB page doesn't list a post, so Brownell's deleted it or FB deleted it or SAF was looking at the wrong page. I'm disinclined to think SAF lied.

Considering the legal implications for items already in shipment, I could see Brownell's deleting it pending a dispute resolution.

I could also imagine a rogue UPS employee (or random prankster) sending out unauthorized notices. The Friday before a holiday weekend would be a good time for that.

I'm not saying there wasn't something sent, just think it was possibly a fake letter, similar to a phishing email. Everything looks legit until you see a typo or click on email address sent from. The image I found was dated June 20th, seems like a long time for a legitimate company policy change to come to light. Seems like that would have hit a lot of media networks as well.

Could always email customercompliance@ups.com to see if it bounces. I just did a google search for the contact info and it never came up.

On 7/2/2022 at 2:11 AM, illinois_buckeye said:

In other words start shipping in plain boxes and don’t let them know what’s in the package.  If nothing illegal is in there, what businesses does UPS have looking in packages?  I usually use USPS when I’ve shipped anything.  Will have to be sure not to use UPS anymore than necessary.

In the past when I shipped parts UPS I would usually answer “motorcycle parts” if asked what was inside. 
Not always honest but it saved a lot of unnecessary conflict.  

I am a bit skeptical. The Brownell's site still lists USP as its shipper. 

Basic Shipping Questions | Top Rated Supplier of Firearm Reloading Equipment, Supplies, and Tools - Colt (brownells.com) 

The letter shown above has no addressee. It is not whited out like the name on the bottom sentence. There is no signature or contact information, which I would expect to see on something of such legal importance. As noted above, they have not legal authority to confiscate and destroy. The proper course would be to notify proper authorities of suspected contraband, or not accept it to begin with. UPS legal would certainly know this. Major changes of policy are usually made after notifying customers. I would think that an official letter would also cite the actual law or regulation and not just use the common name, "ghost gun". 

Had the regulation been put into effect when this letter was supposedly sent out? 

“A year ago this week standing here with many of you, I instructed the attorney general to write a regulation that would rein in the proliferation of ghost guns because I was having trouble getting anything passed in the Congress,” Biden said.

The rule goes into effect 120 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register."

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/biden-issues-new-federal-rule-aimed-at-privately-made-ghost-guns-without-serial-numbers 

The article is from April 11, 2022

Before people continue bashing UPS, maybe we should let someone actually confirm this is correct and not some sort of scam?

There are enough 2A enemies without making more by dragging companies through the mud who may have just been the victim of some troll.

1) First confirm this is real.

2) Vote with your wallet.

On 7/2/2022 at 2:11 AM, illinois_buckeye said:

In other words start shipping in plain boxes and don’t let them know what’s in the package.  If nothing illegal is in there, what businesses does UPS have looking in packages?

By using UPS you grant them the authority to open and inspect any package

Right of Inspection

UPS reserves the right to open and inspect any package tendered to it for transportation.

https://www.ups.com/media/en/terms_service_gnd_pr.pdf

On 7/5/2022 at 8:19 PM, gunuser17 said:

FEDEX has the same inspection provision.  USPS has various ability to inspect packages ranging from xray to belief that the package may contain plant material to obtaining a search warrant.  So I am not sure that there is any shipping company that doesn't reserve the right in some manner to inspect packages.

You are probably right, but thus far the others haven’t seemed to take an active stance that they won’t ship from brownells for example.  Unless I’m mistaken.

According to web.archive.org (in January 2022, the last capture):

Standard Delivery
Standard is our economic shipping option. $6.00 on orders less than 1 pound, $7.00 on orders greater than 1 pound (free for Edge members). Expect 5-7 Business days for delivery. Standard service ships with USPS final delivery and must be shipped to a valid Postal Address. Delivery methods may include USPS, SmartPost, SurePost, or UPS Mail Innovations. This option is unavailable for FFL items, Limited Quantity (LQ), aerosol and hazardous products that have carrier restrictions.

Ground Delivery
We’ll ship anywhere in the lower 48 states for only $11.00 (up to 200 lbs). Expect 3-5 Business days for delivery. Delivery methods may include FedEx, UPS, or USPS. Ground Shipping to Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico and the US Territories is through USPS Priority. Orders shipping via USPS Priority and over 5lbs will require an additional $10 charge. There are a small number of products that don't qualify for our Ground Delivery Program.

As I post this:

Standard Delivery
Standard is our economic shipping option. $7.00 on orders less than 1 pound, $8.00 on orders greater than 1 pound (free for Edge members). Expect 5-7 Business days for delivery. Standard service ships with USPS final delivery and must be shipped to a valid Postal Address. Delivery methods may include USPS, SmartPost or SurePost. This option is unavailable for FFL items, Limited Quantity (LQ), aerosol and hazardous products that have carrier restrictions.

Ground Delivery
We’ll ship anywhere in the lower 48 states for only $12.00 (up to 200 lbs). Expect 3-5 Business days for delivery. Delivery methods may include FedEx, or USPS. Ground Shipping to Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico and the US Territories is through USPS Priority. Orders shipping via USPS Priority and over 5lbs will require an additional $10 charge. There are a small number of products that don't qualify for our Ground Delivery Program.

UPS is gone. There's no statement I can find that says UPS dropped Brownell's vs Brownell's dropped UPS.

On 7/6/2022 at 8:53 AM, Quiet Observer said:

SurePost is part of UPS. 

UPS SurePost Rates | UPS - United States 

Why would someone editing the page add SurePost if it was not part of the original?

Here is a little more information on UPS SurePost.

"UPS SurePost Rates
UPS SurePost® is an economy service for your non-urgent, business to consumer needs of low value. UPS makes the shipment pick-up, and the U.S. Postal Service® (USPS®) makes the final delivery, seven days a week. Sunday delivery is only in select areas with UPS Saturday operations and valid Sunday service ZIP Codes with the USPS.

SurePost uses the USPS Undeliverable /Returns options (USPS Ancillary Service Endorsements) that provides shippers instructions on handling undeliverable packages". 

UPS SurePost Rates | UPS - United States

Archived