Bears’ Matt Adams arrested in Chicago on misdemeanor gun charge

Lord_Balkan

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022/6/24/23181632/bears-matt-adams-arrest-gun-possession-illegal-pierce-bullets-magazine-eberflus-linebacker-chicago

Adams was questioned after he was spotted near the vehicle, according to a police report. Adams said the car was his, and police found the gun inside. Adams has a license for the gun but not in Illinois, according to the report.

I find it interesting that a person without a CCL, or presumably FOID card, essentially conceal carrying a gun, Is not charged as such. Maybe he isn't an Illinois resident and had a carry permit in another state? I'm interested if anyone knows any more information here. I haven't seen the high capacity magazine thing enforced in Chicago before. 

Sun-Times said:

Linebacker Matt Adams ... was arrested Thursday night and charged with misdemeanor illegal gun possession and possession of a high-capacity magazine and metal-piercing bullets, according to Chicago police.

Again there is the bizarre charge of "metal-piercing bullets" that are probably just hollow-points, maybe with ballistic tips. Also "high-capacity" in Chicago is anything over 15.

Non-residents don't need FOIDs. Non-residents can also carry in their cars in IL as long as they have a license from their home state. Adams probably lives in IN.

On 6/27/2022 at 11:30 PM, Euler said:

Again there is the bizarre charge of "metal-piercing bullets" that are probably just hollow-points, maybe with ballistic tips. Also "high-capacity" in Chicago is anything over 15.

Non-residents don't need FOIDs. Non-residents can also carry in their cars in IL as long as they have a license from their home state. Adams probably lives in IN.

They don't even have to have one in there home state... If.....?  ;)

On 6/28/2022 at 6:04 PM, John Q Public said:

They don't even have to have one in there home state... If.....?  ;)

If IN residents want to car carry in IL, they do actually have to get the IN license card. The same goes anywhere. Unless a person in a permitless carry state goes to another permitless carry state (with one exception, ND), they need a permit (assuming some form of reciprocity).

IL is unique in the nation, in that IL honors all other states for car carry, but no other states for carry outside the car. However, residents of other states still need their state's permit. From the article, it seems Adams did have his (probably) IN permit.

"The same everywhere."  Nope, still don't have it. Some states do not require permits, or recog all other states permits, but if they don't reciprocate, all bets are off...   You may get that states permit and carry on...  There are a couple other exceptions, but I'm not in teacher mode, but thanks for playing. :)

PS I never said anything about IN.

PSS Before Utah went CC, this was the case.. 

PSSS Il law states, Have, or  "Be eligible to have." Hmmm

On 6/27/2022 at 11:30 PM, Euler said:

Will we seriously get charged with that in Chicago? "Metal-piercing bullets" ??

On 6/28/2022 at 9:21 PM, Lord_Balkan said:

Will we seriously get charged with that in Chicago? "Metal-piercing bullets" ??

Yes, I've seen several news stories about people being charged with possession of "metal-piercing" bullets. When I've seen a photo released by CPD of what it seized, the ammo was just hollow-points with a ballistic tip.

Many Chicago prosecutors and judges seem to think that any hollow-point is armor-piercing. (Even though it wasn't in Chicago, remember when the prosecutor tried to get Rittenhouse to say that anyone hit by a hollow-point would explode? Hollow-points are scary. 😱) However, I don't think many of those cases go to trial, where those charges could be shown to be as ridiculous as they are. They plead out, probably with the "metal-piercing" charge dropped as leverage.

On 6/28/2022 at 9:21 PM, Euler said:

Yes, I've seen several news stories about people being charged with possession of "metal-piercing" bullets. When I've seen a photo released by CPD of what it seized, the ammo was just hollow-points with a ballistic tip.

Many Chicago prosecutors and judges seem to think that any hollow-point is armor-piercing. (Even though it wasn't in Chicago, remember when the prosecutor tried to get Rittenhouse to say that anyone hit by a hollow-point would explode? Hollow-points are scary. 😱) However, I don't think many of those cases go to trial, where those charges could be shown to be as ridiculous as they are. They plead out, probably with the "metal-piercing" charge dropped as leverage.

What should someone who is lawfully carrying do in a case like this?

On 6/29/2022 at 9:14 AM, Lord_Balkan said:

What should someone who is lawfully carrying do in a case like this?

If you're not arrested:

On 6/29/2022 at 9:58 AM, Jeffrey said:

carry on

If I were arrested, I'd hire a lawyer and call their bluff. They'd probably fold. They're probably still going to keep the firearm, though, because of course they are.

Archived